Another gaming laptop advice thread!

Associate
OP
Ok so definitely decided on the GT72. Now I need to decide between the 602 or 806 model. The latter I can get for £1649 elsewhere.

Man of Honour
At medium/high settings. Even 1080 is a no go for ultra ;)

Depends a bit on game - off the top of my head the 980m is a tiny bit slower on average than a stock desktop 780/290 the 970m SLI a little bit quicker than a stock 780/290. They'll generally do fine for ultra settings at 1080 - maybe have to back off the odd setting off in GTA V and/or limit AA in BF4. 4K another story.

Associate
OP
Well I'm thinking 806 for the extra outlay as it has double the ram. Slightly better cpu, more ssd space and a BR drive.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Never been a fan of RAIDing SSDs unless you have a specific need for huge sustained transfer rates or combining 2 smaller/cheaper ones i.e. to work around slower SATA ports.

Associate
OP
So cooling mats. I had a coolermaster one for my alienware and after some comments in a previous thread I'm now wondering are they really beneficial. I thought my CM one was but I guess opinions vary. I'm also after a decent laptop bag. Don't want to pay the earth. Think I paid £20 for the one I kept my previous lappy in but that won't cut the mustard with this bigger beast on the way.

Associate
So cooling mats. I had a coolermaster one for my alienware and after some comments in a previous thread I'm now wondering are they really beneficial. I thought my CM one was but I guess opinions vary. I'm also after a decent laptop bag. Don't want to pay the earth. Think I paid £20 for the one I kept my previous lappy in but that won't cut the mustard with this bigger beast on the way.

Hey addy, let us know when you get your MSI by the way and had a chance to play with it. I'd be interested to know your thoughts as I'm still looking for a laptop. I'd be interested to know what build quality is like. Plus what the noise levels are like. Cheers.

Associate
OP
Well my supplier called me today saying they are out of stock and don't know when next shipment is coming in so ordered from elsewhere. Sat delivery :)

Back
Top Bottom