Another tyre test review.

Associate
GT3 said:
Hang on lets all ignore peoples actual experiences of a tyre and go by some review where they were driven round for an hour or so. Conclusive evidence the tyre must be long-lasting eh ;)

Why not? You managed it with my experience of the F1s in the last "discussion" :p

Soldato
That test only applies to a car of that size and weight. The F1 tyre on a VX or Elise is rubbish, yet the Toyo T1R is the best aftermarket road orientated tyre, certainly for the VX at least.

Associate
Now before i ask this, please realise it is just a question and not in any way meant as a challenge of keyboards at 12 paces.... but out of the people on here who are saying Tyre A,B or C is better than the Eagle F1 and dont agree with the result of the test, have you actually had the set of F1s that were being tested on your car before you changed brand or are you assuming that your tyre must be better because compared to say the ditchfinder u had fitted previously, it feels like the ultimate in grip.

Thanks

Soldato
I have Goodyear F1s on my car and I think they are a very good tyre but I do agree with them having a rather soft sidewall, so much so that I add a few extra psi in them to make the a bit harder.

When they get some serious abuse on a track or get some heat in them, they do peel/fall apart as has been seen by quite a few people that did track days on them.

Im going to get me some Toyo R888s for my standard track wheels

Last edited:
Associate
Slime101 said:
Almost certainly due to your car being at fault and nothing to do with the tyres at all.
yep i agree his car is lowered that will mean the suspension camber is out unless he has had it ajusted and also most modern tyres are desined to wear on the outside wall first anyway!. Hard cornering wil lalso wear the outside edges as all the weight will push nto this edge, basically drive everywhere like a loon and its not un-normal for premature tyre wear. they are sport tyres , not wheel spin and slide round every corner i get to and then winge when they fail tyres. i currently have toyos on my car but i will be looking at a set of f1's when i need to replace :) although i only got the toyo's 2k ago and tbh i am not that happy with them.

Soldato
GT3 said:
So faulty that both front tyres wore down bald on the very outer edges all the way round?

suspension geometry checked?

going round corners quickly on a regular basis? going to cause the edges to wear.

i have had toyo t1-s and goodyear eagle gsd3's on the same car and IMO they were similar in the dry, goodyears noticeably better in the wet and wore better. although the goodyears were a bit more expensive, the extra wear out of them made up for it, irrelevant of the improved wet grip. :)

GT3

GT3

Soldato
My car ISNT lowered. The other tyres I have had fitted have worn in a regular manor. Yes I take corners quickly on a regular basis but if the cheapo no-brand ones and my current yokos can wear down evenly across the tread of the tyre then its certainly nothing to do with my car thank you very much.

We've had this discussion before, if you drive like a girl get Eagle F1s you will love them - if not, consider something else otherwise you'll be replacing them a lot sooner than you thought :p

Soldato
I've not had any problems with my F1's, mine are GS-D2's not D3's though in 195/55/R15. I've given them some welly, as in doing Stoke-on-Trent to the Shrewsbury bypass in 30 mins (over 30 miles) of A/B roads...and they felt stable enough.

They seem to be lasting quite well, 4k on them so far. In my size I paid £55 a corner plus fitting and disposal. Potenzas were more expensive. I'd go for a set again.

Associate
GT3 said:
We've had this discussion before, if you drive like a girl get Eagle F1s you will love them - if not, consider something else otherwise you'll be replacing them a lot sooner than you thought :p

Yep Tom must drive like a girl then, if her name is Sabine ;)

Man of Honour
GT3 said:
My car ISNT lowered. The other tyres I have had fitted have worn in a regular manor. Yes I take corners quickly on a regular basis but if the cheapo no-brand ones and my current yokos can wear down evenly across the tread of the tyre then its certainly nothing to do with my car thank you very much.

They are soft compound tyres - this is why they grip well. I'm sure if you buy ULTRA-HYPERTAT tyres or something they wont wear at all, this is becuase they are very hard compound!

I thought this was pretty simple, if you want ultimate grip you put up with soft compound tyre and associated wear rates, if you want tyres that dont wear out as much, make do with less grip from a harder compound tyre..

You are right - Tom0 clearly drives like a girl, what with him having a highly modified Nissan 200SX and an E39 BMW M5. The experience of a pizza delivery driver in a Saxo are, thus, far more relevant than those of the owner of not one, yet two, ultra high performance cars ;)

Soldato
Surely the same tyres are going to perform very differently on different cars?

I can't see how a tyre performs on a BMW weighing in at ~1300kg can give much of an indication on how it will perform on a 730kg sports car. The T1-R doesn't get a good write up in the article but I can vouch for them on my car, after 6000+ miles they are wearing well and apart from a bit of flex in the sidewall when running them at track pressures (21 & 22.5 PSI) they are astounding. Grip in the dry is excellent and in the wet they provide enough grip to have some fun.

Soldato
GT3 said:

it was just a question, no need to get defensive.

eagle's have fairly rounded shoulders, i.e. less rubber on the edge to wear away so this maybe it too. i tend to get through the shoulders of most tyres before the centre section due to my driving style, so from my experience this trait is not exclusive to eagles.

if you get toyos you will be replacing them sooner than you thought about replacing the eagles ;)

Back
Top Bottom