Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Soldato
OP
Just been picking through old emails and while I bought my first batch of bags from Fresherpack, my second batch (and the set I'm still using) were from here.

I think the latter are cheaper (well, they were the last time I stocked up) and quality is superb from both.

Buy bigger than you think you'll need but be mindful of the maximum width the Eiffel will handle. Anything less than 28cm and you'll be fine - I went with 20cm x 30cm bags and they see me fine for most purposes.

Man of Honour
I'm planning to do the legs sous vide and then probably smoke them and going to do the breast in a roll also sous vide with the skin as a separate crispy sheet. At least I think that's the plan. Mix of recipes from the usual suspects.

Associate
well my new vac machine came (from the link above, thank you!)

but still no Anova.

I will have to use my old water bath during Christmas as I have just got shipping notification for the Anova which is going to my work address and I finish today.

img

img

Associate
what is everyone cooking? I have a beef rib roast must just the single for Christmas. I also have a 3kg ham I am going to try doing this way. has anyone done a ham like this? I see timing of y5c for between 6 and 24 hours depending on the site

Associate
I have no idea why I didn't get a vacuum sealer ages ago, this thing is amazing makes prep and storage so much easier!

For Christmas I have cooked my Turkey Legs at 149F for 24 Hours. Cooked my carrots with butter salt and sugar ready for pan frying before serving.

Going to use my anova to reheat my braised red cabbage too.

Got some Gammon in now for boxing day, 149F for 48 Hours

Man of Honour
I've just taken a ham out that i put in last night. Just had poached eggs with it but the rest will be used cold now and then. Sous vide ham absolutely rocks.

I did it at 65c for 12 hours (and have done it before with same temp and timing). Finished with a glaze in the oven. Works perfectly. got the timings from here: https://www.sousvidetools.com/toolshed/recipes/festive-ham/

I agree on the vacum sealer. So pleased to have one now.

Man of Honour
Tonight doing sous vide pork loin with a wild mushroom sauce (cepes from the new forest). Starter raviolo with ricotta, spinach and smoked salmon and an egg yolk but no sous vide involved in that unfortunately! Creme brulee for pudding from the serious eats one.

Soldato
Tonight doing sous vide pork loin with a wild mushroom sauce (cepes from the new forest). Starter raviolo with ricotta, spinach and smoked salmon and an egg yolk but no sous vide involved in that unfortunately! Creme brulee for pudding from the serious eats one.

What temperature are you going for Skidder?
I've got pork loin to do as well.

Associate
First lot of poached eggs with mine this morning, having to faff with finishing them off in a(just less than) simmering pan took away from it somewhat but the eggs did turn out consistently good and egg shaped, with no dangly bits. Went for 63 degrees and about 50 minutes by the end the last one was out, then about 45 seconds each in the pan. That gave a white that was totally brought together with a completely runny yolk

Man of Honour
For a long cook time I'd drop closer to 60c. Anything above (iirc) 62c will cause a lot of moisture loss without any benefit to pasteurisation/etc. Effects on the various temps/enzymes for fat and collagen breakdown are a different matter of course.

Back
Top Bottom