1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by glitch, May 6, 2014.

1. Mrs Seabiscuit

This cake is not a lie.

Hey all, apologies if i have actually already asked this question however if I have I cant find my post.

So a few weeks ago I sous vided two chicken breasts however one came out beautifully juicy and tender whilst the other came out drier and not juicy, I have had this experience with steaks too. Does anyone think its down to how close the one piece of meat is to the anova element? Or is it just down to purely the animal it came from?

Thank you.

2. SPG

Soldato

What temperature and time, ziplock or Vac bag ?

TBh, never had a issue with anything although i do avoid the annova app and use chefsteps timings instead.

3. Mrs Seabiscuit

This cake is not a lie.

Get what you are saying, however i`m discussing one tasty juicy peice of meat and one not. IN THE SAME TANK.

4. FerretBoy

Mobster

Not had this and we use Anova 4 out of 5 days. Make sure water can circulate around all pieces, although to be fair I don't make much effort. Probably just based on the animal. I almost always for for the lowest temperature in the scale offered.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  5. SoliD

Capodecina

Sounds odd, as long as the water can move around it shouldn't matter, if it happened once I'd say bad batch of meat, but to happen a couple of times sounds like something odd, is the circulator spinning and how big is your container? Definitely sure the bags are sealed properly?

6. SPG

Soldato

SO.... ARE THEY IN THE SAME ZIPLOCK BAG OR SEPARATE..............

7. seabiscuit

OcUK Staff

They were in the same bag. Vacuum sealed rather than ziplock. I think with the steaks MrsS was talking about the issue was more they were different thicknesses from the supermarket, but again I think we cooked them in the same vacuum seled bag. But yeah, the chicken was two peices from the same pack, pretty close to each other in size and thichkness, cooked in the same bag for the same time, and one was pretty tough and stringy (but not dry), the other was really tender and as you'd expect sous vide chiken to be.

8. SPG

Soldato

Lamb shanks at the weekend 72c for 36hrs absolutely gobsmackingly gorgeous.

9. wallofsound

Gangster

So, which blow-torch do people use? Don't want to spend a fortune and plumbers type ones look around £100 plus gas.

10. SPG

Soldato

I picked one up from Lidl.

11. Skidder

Man of Honour

Depends what you want to do. If you're just melting sugar for creme brulees and so on then normal kitchen one is fine. If you actually want to sear meat straight out of the water bath they aren't good enough. You'd want searzall or something. I only have a basic kitchen one and just do BBQ chimney starter for steaks and things when cooking sous vide.

12. Flibster

Caporegime

Bernzomatic TS8000
    Imported from the USA, significantly cheaper. Use Mapp gas from screwfix. Does the job.

13. Spitfir3

Wise Guy

Bugger my Anova has stopped heating the water up. Went to do 75c poached eggs and it hit 72c but started falling slowly after that :(

It’ll be 3 years old this May so out of warranty. Anyone had the same issue?

14. Brian The Snail

Gangster

This.

15. Squid Vicious

Wise Guy

Porterhouse just gone in for 2-3 hours at 54c for a medium rare - now onto the triple cooked chips and béarnaise sauce.

Also tried pork chops for the first time cooked sous vide, couple of hours at 65c and finished in the frying pan, definite improvement over the grill but I think I need to drop another 2-3 degrees next time.

16. silverblack

Wise Guy

Ha steak is on 56c for 45 mins, triple cooked chips at first stage lol

17. Spitfir3

Wise Guy

65c? Try 55c next time! Will be insanely juicy and tender

18. Flibster

Caporegime

Yup. I normally do pork loin steaks or tenderloins at 55-56°C. Pork is perfectly fine pink.

19. Squid Vicious

Wise Guy

New to sous vide pork (ignoring pork belly which is awesome) and working off serious eats chops guide :p I'll defintely dial it down a lil more next time

20. Flibster

Caporegime

Tried something new today. Half leg of lamb (about 1kg).
    Stabbed it and put slices of garlic and small sprigs of rosemary in the cuts, salt and peppered it. It had the bone in so it had a sharp end, covered that with an additional piece of bag and then vac sealed it to stop it piercing the bag.

57.5°C for 7.5 hours. After an hour, discovered that lamb floats. Weighed it down and left it.

Time up, opened and drained the juices. Pulled as many of the rosemary and garlic pieces out as I could quickly. Well torched and served with roastie spuds, steamed veg and gravy from the juices.

Damn it was tender. Never had lamb that soft, even from a couple of michelin starred restaurants. Was fantastic. Still have a good chunk left too. Thoroughly recommended.