Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Man of Honour
Seperating the loose white is definitely key. As I mentioned earlier too, if you use the egg calculator I'd recommend choosing one step firmer on the white scale and one step softer on the yolk scale than the videos suggest.

Associate
I did carrots and sprouts Christmas day, very nice in butter/salt/pepper/sugar mix and flashed in a hot pan after!

Going to try eggs again tomorrow morning, based on the ChiefSteps guide and FT's suggestion will be doing 71c for 11.5mins.

Associate
I always use f now for all of my cooking (apart from oven temps) as all the recipes seem to be american, and I've become accustom to temperatures in f for food.

I made those carrots for christmas, but forgot to take them to my mums to finish in the pan so never got to try them!

Caporegime
Depends where you look. Great British Chefs is great for sous vide... all Celcius. Of course American sites will be Fahrenheit to pander to their biggest audience. Fahrenheit seems retarded for cooking/Celsius seems better, given the starting point of cooking... basically 0C, arguably, with benchmarks like 100C being cornerstones... which in Fahrenheit are 32 and 212 respectively.

It is all arbitrary.

The point is...

I google....
First link gives me in Fahrenheit.
I put it in.

That's 3 steps.

Or
Goddammit, /goes to convert.

Load up app, or talk to Alexa.
That is 4 steps

Or click back, scroll until I find one in C.

That could be 5 to 7 steps, depending how many sites I have to click and then click back.

Or, I could leave it in f as so far, in my experience they all seems to be American based sites and I need not to convert at all. Besides, the number make sense for water between freezing and boiling point but the Anova does not hit 100c at all....I tried. The point is it saves me converting, it is just following the guides, saving time in searching for a site in c or having to convert it.

Granted, I convert it by actually saying it out to Alexa and it tells me.

Man of Honour
No harm in using F if you find it easier.

That said, on a UK forum it's generally easier if we communicate with C imo (I'm not trying to say "those are the rules" or anything, just an opinion).

Most decent sites mention temps in both C and F anyhow. SeriousEats, ChefSteps, etc.

Caporegime
There are so many sous vide/modernist resources in non-retarded American measurements, which is why I prefer to avoid them. The best ones are in Celcius (or have both). Sod recipes with a cup of x, a teaspoon of y, a tablespoon of z, etc. Grams/Celcius/ml ftw.

I assure you my carrots have no idea whether it is in f or c and thus it comes out tasting the same either way no matter what metric the recipe is written in.

The only difference is ease of use as the end user.

Retarded would be spending time ignoring a recipe and spending more time searching for another just because of its unit of measure as opposed to the results.

p.s I find the whole imperial measure of length "retarded" as you call it, especially in the building industry. Architects and builders work in mm. When it gets to estate agents...it's all imperial in ft and inches.

That is retarded.

Last edited:
Associate
I've been expecting the wrong thing on the eggs I think. I was looking for that perfect soft boiled egg but due to that outer white layer, it's just never going to happen.

71c 11 mins however the yoke was very nice, but the whites not so much.

However I can see that if I did as others suggested and drained onto a slotted spoon that would have been a very nice pouched egg.

Soldato
Finally finally got roudn to using mine last night on a couple of Sirloins.

2 hours at 131f with a quick sear, turned out spot on and made making a steak even easier. Need to come up with a proper insulated container so I can get the towel off my pan :D

Going to do a few more simple items and then due to have few friends over next week so going to do a pulled pork I think.

Back
Top Bottom