Any fans of Louis Theroux here?

Associate
Really recommend his book where he follows up on some of the people in earlier documentaries. Seems some people are even more open when the cameras aren't rolling and it's interesting to see where they ended up.

Associate
Watching the latest episode in iplayer now and its as real and as brilliant as ever. Why this guy is not on more is beyond me.

Pretty sure there's loads of work that goes on to get these documentaries out. A few episodes a year does me fine since they're of such high calibre. Putting more out would probably jeopardise the quality, something Louis is probably aware of, which is why he only does a few a year.

Caporegime
wouldn't surprise me if most his stuff takes months of filming and we don't get to see the majority of it.

I doubt he just goes in a mental hospital disrupting all the patients for a few days and then leaves, he's probably slowly introduced to them over time until they get comfortable with him and build up some trust etc

Man of Honour
This transgender kids, is even more disturbing.
I think it's because I don't know what pressure or experiences they've had to decide this.

Associate
2 new docs. First one (which aired yesterday) is about alcoholics, and the next one is about people who have had brain trauma I believe.

Completely forgot about it last night so I'll have to catch up on it today. Anyone watch it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Watched the alcoholism one last night. Definitely worth a watch, it was strange how one lady was told her liver was FUBAR'd and she didn't really care. She lost the taste for what she was drinking, but carried on as it was the only thing that let her function.

Didn't really know how bad the detox was, really brought light to it for me.

Soldato
There's something about his general style that makes me want to punch him in the face.
There's something about his style which makes him really easy to watch imo :)

Last nights episode was good, very eye opening.

The one lady who HecFam mentioned had the biggest arse of a 'boyfriend' ever. Now he needed a punch!

Soldato
Little bit disappointed to not hear of the progress of the chap who was told he had a 75% chance of dying within the next 3 months. His story saw no real conclusion.

I hope he got a lot longer than three months. I reckon he was drinking a lot more than the 5 pints and 2 bottles of wine he let on though, probably polished off a bottle of brandy on top .

And the youngish guy who keep swapping between being a fairly presentable normal looking bloke and an absolute mess, probably had the worst alcoholism of the lot of them when he was in the pits.

The french lady who was drinking the cider just seemed to have nothing to live for.

Associate
I used to like him but he lost all credibility with me when he failed concerning the Jimmy Saville episode.

He's doing a follow up show concerning Jimmy Saville.

Most of the people on last nights show were deeply emotional people i think who couldn't handle trauma's in the past.South african guy/fathers death,French woman/adoption,young guy/mothers death-job failure.I had a strong feeling the young guy just wanted a lot of attention.He walked out looking for vodka and had the nurses worried about him and he came back with a bottle of perrier water.And the french woman was tragic.Talking with the doctor she'd just given up.

Associate
I used to like him but he lost all credibility with me when he failed concerning the Jimmy Saville episode.

A bit harsh. In what way did he fail? The documentary with Jimmy was just to shed some light on this strange character, not to delve into his past and uncover this disgusting secret, which by the way managed to remain secret for decades. Louis did manage to get that creepy story out of Jimmy about threatening some person's teenage daughter, but how would he follow up on it? He likely had limited time with Jimmy to film the documentary, and he didn't seem the easiest person to talk to. You're never going to get a famous celebrity to admit to raping hundreds of children.

Back
Top Bottom