Any fans of Louis Theroux here?

Associate
When's his new Scientology one coming out?

this is all IMDB says for release dates
UK 14 October 2015 (BFI Film Festival)
UK 14 October 2015 (London Film Festival)
Netherlands 5 May 2016
Belgium 11 May 2016

So who knows. I remember when it was shown at the film festival they said there was no date for general release or something along those lines.

Associate
Watched it yesterday and I have to say, I was slightly disappointed. Louis is capable of much more emotionally engaging stuff, but it just seemed like a brief glimpse into the lives of several people with varying degrees of alcohol addiction. I think he spread himself a bit too thin; you'd see someone for 10 minutes and then they don't show up till the very end again, and like others have said, there wasn't much of a conclusion to some of them. I thought it was interesting when he started getting into their past, but there wasn't much of that.

I did feel bad for the French lady. She was clearly pretty bright, but she's just completely given up. Her 'boyfriend' was a complete ***** too.

Soldato
Watched this last night and thought it was very good but I would like to have seen it done over a longer period. I found Joe the hardest to watch as he seemed to have fallen so far and fast, really makes you think.

Associate
I found it interesting, but none of the people really seemed interested in addressing the causes of their alcoholism so you have to fear it will not turn out well for them although you obviously hope for the best.

Annoyingly it featured a bit of music (about 48 minutes in when Joe goes back inside with the Perrier water) that I can't quite place and it has been bugging me since.
edit: It was Devotchka - How it ends. The instrumental version (The Winner is) is in Little Miss Sunshine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Permabanned
I got tickets for the 7th :D

Same! Doing a live Q&A after too.

I love him. His style and manner is so honest and to the point without being rude or overly aggressive. He asks the questions we as an audience would never have the courage too. I think that's the sign of a great documentarian.

Back
Top Bottom