• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Does this mean don't buy a Nvidia card ever as the price never changes and is always too high :D :D :D :D :D :D

No, of course not. You wait until AMD drops the price of their clearly cheap ass AMD crap. This then forces Nvidia to reduce prices of their amazeballs GPUs by a smidgen. Then you buy totally epic Nvidia mid tier GPU you always wanted but cry that it cost you £800. Then you blame AMD because their cheap ass crap isn’t competitive… even though it clearly is more than competitive. When called out on this, simply resort to “But but epic levels of RT and fake frames”.

Last edited:
They are like Intel and never seem to have EOL pricing. Although Intel have had to become a bit more realistic in recent times.

hmm I would disagree with that. Last winter I bought this board for £120 and a 11400F for £130.

lKzCKWL.jpg

Then for the TV PC I got this for £199.

Je0atzM.jpg

With at first the same CPU for £130. I mean yeah the arrogant Intel of the past? absolutely. But with a humble slapping they will all act very differently tbh.

Personally I used to loathe Intel. Just like I used to loathe AMD GPUs. Thing is? every single purchase I have ever made has been based purely on the price. Which is why 3 out of my 4 rigs now are all Intel, and have AMD GPUs in. Was nothing to do with preference or a bias, just pure value. Also, if you whack a 11400F in a Z590 it over rides the turbo limits and runs the chip at full single core clocks on all cores forever.

*snip* Last winter I bought this board for £120 and a 11400F for £130.

Then for the TV PC I got this for £199.

*snip*

How are you finding decent motherboards for so cheap? Used maybe?

Last time I bought a PC was Intel, but admittedly this was 8 years ago in the glory days of the affordable GTX900 series and when a then-top-of-the-range i7-4790k could be had for under £300. The motherboard on was on offer here at OCUK with the CPU and bought at below £120.

One reason I refuse to build right now is motherboard with similar specs costing well over £200 or £300 nowadays, let alone GPU pricing. Though once these new AMD releases settle or if there's great deals on a 6950XT or 7900XT, I may be tempted to finally upgrade perhaps.

How are you finding decent motherboards for so cheap? Used maybe?

Last time I bought a PC was Intel, but admittedly this was 8 years ago in the glory days of the affordable GTX900 series and when a then-top-of-the-range i7-4790k could be had for under £300. The motherboard on was on offer here at OCUK with the CPU and bought at below £120.

One reason I refuse to build right now is motherboard with similar specs costing well over £200 or £300 nowadays, let alone GPU pricing. Though once these new AMD releases settle or if there's great deals on a 6950XT or 7900XT, I may be tempted to finally upgrade perhaps.

Nope brand new dude. OCUK had the Tachyon at the same exact price.

There you go. £180, for a £640 board. In fact, you can get the Z590 EVGA dark right now brand new for £249. I almost got that over the Tachyon, but at the time it was still £300 (still, over half RRP) and I thought it would be totally daft on a 11400F. As it happens I found a 11700K here the other day for £140, and a Cooler master TEC 360 AIO for £55 so yeah, not such a waste after all. You just need to dig is all.

I just don't understand how if I achieve the same performance/fps/res/settings as a rival more power hungry card how that's a bad thing/no it's not doing what people think? When I'm using it, and it is giving me that performance/visuals that match my mates 6800xt? If something does say 60fps at 1440p ultra no dlss/fsr... then it does that, if it does that and then leaves you with the same amount of vram being unused as a rival card, then you're both doing fine for a couple years gaming aren't you? That was all I'm saying man.

Because games allocate and use vram dynamically so on a card with more vram they can store more of the higher detail LOD textures that will reduce pop in, often the effect is very subtle so you don't even notice if not looking for it.

In some titles you see that the 8GB cards are fine FPS wise but the IQ is rubbish because they are constantly texture swapping. This kind of issue will impact 12GB cards before 16GB ones because at some point the games minimum vram footprint will be 13-14GB which will be fine on the 16GB cards but not so on the 12GB cards.

The new shiny 7800XT is here and installed! Not had a good play with it yet but I like the Adrenalin software.

Did a quick run of Valley benchmark that I already had installed and it did seem a bit low, around 7900 I think it scored. Need to have a dig through all the settings and see what’s what!

Because games allocate and use vram dynamically so on a card with more vram they can store more of the higher detail LOD textures that will reduce pop in, often the effect is very subtle so you don't even notice if not looking for it.

In some titles you see that the 8GB cards are fine FPS wise but the IQ is rubbish because they are constantly texture swapping. This kind of issue will impact 12GB cards before 16GB ones because at some point the games minimum vram footprint will be 13-14GB which will be fine on the 16GB cards but not so on the 12GB cards.

This was explained to him elsewhere. Really, like everything you and everyone else have said word for word. I told him AMD cards allocate more VRAM sometimes, and, even Nvidia cards with more VRAM on hand will be allocated more by a game because well, there is more.

In the end a lot of people got upset and we got nowhere. Looks like he brought it here.

The new shiny 7800XT is here and installed! Not had a good play with it yet but I like the Adrenalin software.

Did a quick run of Valley benchmark that I already had installed and it did seem a bit low, around 7900 I think it scored. Need to have a dig through all the settings and see what’s what!

Awesome. Nice to hear. Yeah, adrenaline is pretty fantastic tbh. I love how it shows you the average FPS, so you can tweak settings to get it where you want it.

Awesome. Nice to hear. Yeah, adrenaline is pretty fantastic tbh. I love how it shows you the average FPS, so you can tweak settings to get it where you want it.

I just did a quick job on my 6700XT from a "these settings will work on most cards for a decent balance of performance, temps and noise" video on Youtube - undervolted it by 100mV, set max GPU clock to 2500, turned fast memory timings on and maxed out the memory clock slider. 10C drop in temps plus a 600rpm drop in fan speed (and thus a noticeable drop in noise) and about the same performance. That'll do for me. Although I might get the urge to fiddle a bit more. But this card will do me until next gen. The current gen had nothing that appealed to me, so the 6700XT was a cheap card (£300) to tide me over. Maybe next gen there will be a card at a price that I think is worth it. Although if I was buying right now I might have gone for a 7800XT at £500. That just about makes it into my "worth it" category.

I just did a quick job on my 6700XT from a "these settings will work on most cards for a decent balance of performance, temps and noise" video on Youtube - undervolted it by 100mV, set max GPU clock to 2500, turned fast memory timings on and maxed out the memory clock slider. 10C drop in temps plus a 600rpm drop in fan speed (and thus a noticeable drop in noise) and about the same performance. That'll do for me. Although I might get the urge to fiddle a bit more. But this card will do me until next gen. The current gen had nothing that appealed to me, so the 6700XT was a cheap card (£300) to tide me over. Maybe next gen there will be a card at a price that I think is worth it. Although if I was buying right now I might have gone for a 7800XT at £500. That just about makes it into my "worth it" category.

TBH after many months I am still learning how to use it. It's pretty complex !

My 6700XT Strix for some reason known only to it liked to ramp the fans to 100% very quickly. Tried setting it with AB, but it was being over ridden by Adrenaline. So I had no choice lol. Either uninstall adrenaline and use AB, or get rid of AB completely. Chose the latter, it (AB) caused issues with The Last Of Us, where the graveyard level just kept bombing to desktop. Have now locked the fans to 45% max and it only runs into the high 50s ffs. All that noise was for nothing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom