• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

TBH after many months I am still learning how to use it. It's pretty complex !

My 6700XT Strix for some reason known only to it liked to ramp the fans to 100% very quickly. Tried setting it with AB, but it was being over ridden by Adrenaline. So I had no choice lol. Either uninstall adrenaline and use AB, or get rid of AB completely. Chose the latter, it (AB) caused issues with The Last Of Us, where the graveyard level just kept bombing to desktop. Have now locked the fans to 45% max and it only runs into the high 50s ffs. All that noise was for nothing.

That's a good temp! Mine (Sapphire Pulse) runs up to 71C. Although it is 30C in here, so that's a factor.

The 6700XT Strix is utterly ridiculous to be fair. They basically used the same cooler the 3090 Strix had on it. On a 6700XT, that they then wanted 6800XT money for. Silly boys. I got mine for £320 quite a while ago... 9 Nov 2022

Blimey, that was a while ago !! It was about two weeks after the mining crash. It was a mining card too, guy was honest, but heck at that price? and what had been going on?. It may have a mining bios on it tbh, hence the fans wanting to ramp up. I did check the bios but it seemed to be stock. No idea how to tell if it has been tampered with, but hey it works and has done faithfully since I got it so there is that.

I will try for a b-stock deal on a 7900 XT then. Barely any cards will fit in a Formd T1, pretty ****** currently.
Sapphire are doing MBA cards. You would not want to put one in a T1 though. The reference cooler for the 7800xt isn't good. Hot and noisy, will be even worse in a T1. These cards will trickle out over the next weeks, supply won't be huge though.

Sapphire are doing MBA cards. You would not want to put one in a T1 though. The reference cooler for the 7800xt isn't good. Hot and noisy, will be even worse in a T1. These cards will trickle out over the next weeks, supply won't be huge though.
I believe the Nitro 7800 XT will fit, does not extend past the bracket (width).

A western country of nearly 70m people and AMD can’t set up a store or even approach one of the established retailers here to sort something out, it’s no wonder why they struggle with market share.

I don't think they're struggling. I think they don't care enough about the PC gaming market to struggle for share in that market.

TBH market share is mostly made by prebuilts, we're a minority.

That too, but I was thinking that the whole PC gaming market is a very low priority market now. Margins are far bigger in the "professional graphics card" market, where they can sell essentially the same card for 5 times as much as the highest prices they can get in the home market. Margins are even higher than that in the "not graphics" market for massively parallel processors. AI is currently the biggest part of that and it probably won't collapse like crypto did.

AMD also has the console gaming market. And, of course, they're a big player in the CPU market. Graphics cards for PC gaming is way down their list of priorities. Why assign much importance (and resources that could be used elsewhere) to an uphill battle against nvidia in a market neither company cares much about anyway? The graphics cards for PC gaming market is for the repurposed leftovers from developing hardware for non-graphics use and for professional graphics use.

Yes, AI accelerators have much bigger margins for essentially almost the same silicon, AMD releases gaming GPUs mostly because most of the research is paid for by their semi-custom revenue and as advertisement for the next console generation.

To see proper competition we can only hope that players such as Intel or, more unlikely, Moore Threads will take some volume. China closing off might also help ironically as they will have to shift wafers allocated to that market somewhere else, which means essentially the western market.

I don't think they're struggling. I think they don't care enough about the PC gaming market to struggle for share in that market.
They are not struggling financially but it still shows the lack of ambition which sums up the Radeon division, Nvidia are earning plenty of money but still don't turn down opportunities to expand further.

They are not struggling financially but it still shows the lack of ambition which sums up the Radeon division, Nvidia are earning plenty of money but still don't turn down opportunities to expand further.

Perhaps I should have been more explicit.

You wrote:

A western country of nearly 70m people and AMD can’t set up a store or even approach one of the established retailers here to sort something out, it’s no wonder why they struggle with market share.

When I replied with this:

I was referring to struggling in the same context as your post I was replying to and quoting and the same context I explicitly stated in the second sentence - struggling for market share in the PC gaming market/home PC graphics card market. Not the entire company struggling financially.

It might not be lack of ambition. Taking market share from nvidia in the PC gaming market would be very expensive if it's even possible. Why bother in a market neither company cares about?

Last edited:
Just caught up on the HUB podcast where they talk about the release of the 7800/7700....
And found my self nodding along like the Churchill dog. :)

The Radeon division keep dropping the ball with what seem like obvious snafu's.

I do wish these tech reviews would remove the extreme outliers from their tests for either team. At least HUB tried.

I would class Cyberpunk RT as an extreme because its an Nvidia showcase title for RTX, HUB like all others pretend its just the norm when it so obviously isn't and even go as far as pretending nothing but Cyberpunk RTX is RT, when they say the the above video "the 4070 is so much better at RT" that apparently doesn't bare out in their own slides with it only being 2% faster than the RX 7800XT, what they are talking about is Cyberpunk RTX, as if its the only thing that matters.
So, no.

Last edited:
I think at this point Nvidia spend more on marketing than they do on driver development, not even joking.....

Intel have managed to push out a Starfield driver...

Watched a DF vid last night that discussed Nv pulling out resources of it's gaming drivers to focus on AI.

DF_Nv_drivers.png

MLID's discussing it as well.

Despite being out almost a fortnight, I don't think Starfields had any GRD optimisations outwith enabling Rebar on todays new 537.34 driver, which isn't like Nv, they are usually out with a fix/optimisations within days.

Last edited:
I would class Cyberpunk RT as an extreme because its an Nvidia showcase title for RTX, HUB like all others pretend its just the norm when it so obviously isn't and even go as far as pretending nothing but Cyberpunk RTX is RT, when they say the the above video "the 4070 is so much better at RT" that apparently doesn't bare out in their own slides with it only being 2% faster than the RX 7800XT, what they are talking about is Cyberpunk RTX, as if its the only thing that matters.
So, no.

I think it's fair shows the 7800xt is overall the better card

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom