• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

About 2X is the performance difference from the 2070S.

RWDtVjc.jpg

Last edited:
I'm talking about actual performance, Nvidia specifications are not an equivalent to AMD. @Joxeon

Nice to see a card going that way again. Nowadays it is always undervolt and downclock. Rare to see a card actually benefiting from an OC. :cool:

Yeah, default on my card is around 1950 Mhz, i'm lucky if i can get it to 2050 Mhz, the memory goes from 7000 MT/s to about 7600 MT/s, what all that gets me is +5% performance at best, that's normal for the 2000 series, the 3000 series is the same if not worse, from what i have seen the 4070 is also around +5%.

The 7900 series is about +7%.

Pathetic.... this is why overclocking has suddenly become undervolting, because just to gain 5% performance you're pushing it to its limits, its just for benchmarking, day to day use its not worth it.

+14% is better, Other channels are reporting about the same for the reference ones, AIB ones +18 to +20%, that's more like it, for both the 7700XT and 7800XT.

IMO the reason for this is deliberate gimping, they are clocked lower than they could be, an overclocked 7800XT is in the ball park of an overclocked 4070Ti, great, but... that also puts it too close to the 7900XT, the performance when you take in to account how many shaders they have, the same as the RX 6800 none XT for the 7800XT (3840) and vs 5376 vs the 7900XT, the later has 40% more shaders and yet properly clocked the 7800XT is well with in 10% of it, probably with in 5% of it.

There was talk of AMD trying to fix RDNA 3 with Navi 32, i think they did, and then underclocked them as to not make the 7900XT look stupid.

I've said it before and i'm even more convinced of it now, for enthusiasts, IE for people who don't just run stock, IMO the 7700XT is a 4070 equivalent and the 7800XT a 4070Ti equivalent.

Last edited:
Yeah, default on my card is around 1950 Mhz, i'm lucky if i can get it to 2050 Mhz, the memory goes from 7000 MT/s to about 7600 MT/s, what all that gets me is +5% performance at best, that's normal for the 2000 series, the 3000 series is the same if not worse, from what i have seen the 4070 is also around +5%.

The 7900 series is about +7%.

Pathetic.... this is why overclocking has suddenly become undervolting, because just to gain 5% performance you're pushing it to its limits, its just for benchmarking, day to day use its not worth it.

+14% is better, Other channels are reporting about the same for the reference ones, AIB ones +18 to +20%, that's more like it, for both the 7700XT and 7800XT.

IMO the reason for this is deliberate gimping, they are clocked lower than they could be, an overclocked 7800XT is in the ball park of an overclocked 4070Ti, great, but... that also puts it too close to the 7900XT, the performance when you take in to account how many shaders they have, the same as the RX 6800 none XT for the 7800XT (3840) and vs 5376 vs the 7900XT, the later has 40% more shaders and yet properly clocked the 7800XT is well with in 10% of it, probably with in 5% of it.

There was talk of AMD trying to fix RDNA 3 with Navi 32, i think they did, and then underclocked them as to not make the 7900XT look stupid.

I've said it before and i'm even more convinced of it now, for enthusiasts, IE for people who don't just run stock, IMO the 7700XT is a 4070 equivalent and the 7800XT a 4070Ti equivalent.
Agree it does look that way. The potential to unlock that much extra performance does seem intentional so as to not cross into other products teritory within the range.

Appears the "success" of the 7800XT has finally stimulated competitiveness in the GPU market as looks like Nvidia will release a 4070 Super, with 16GB VRAM, on a 256 bit bus, and upgrade the GPU to ADA 103, though the standard 4070 will get a slight downgrade from GDDR6X to GDDR6 memory.

All that remains is to get the price and performance.

Appears the "success" of the 7800XT has finally stimulated competitiveness in the GPU market as looks like Nvidia will release a 4070 Super, with 16GB VRAM, on a 256 bit bus, and upgrade the GPU to ADA 103, though the standard 4070 will get a slight downgrade from GDDR6X to GDDR6 memory.

All that remains is to get the price and performance.

Oh dear, I do hope the few people who actually bought 60, 70, and 80 gimped edition cards aren't going to feel silly now Nvdia are once again selling their fans the real cards 6 months later...

Is there a precedent for this I wonder?

:D

Source? trust me bro.
True, its more rumour than anything but I think its is most likely accurate as Nvidia were probably taken back that consumers opted for the 7800XT over the 4070, and ignored things like DLSS and Ray Tracing, which they made big selling points of to justify there pricing, over more VRAM and a lower price, and need to answer AMD.

Oh dear, I do hope the few people who actually bought 60, 70, and 80 gimped edition cards aren't going to feel silly now Nvdia are once again selling their fans the real cards 6 months later...

Is there a precedent for this I wonder?

:D
There are no 80 gimped edition cards, remember the 80 gimped edition was turned into 4070 ti

True, its more rumour than anything but I think its is most likely accurate as Nvidia were probably taken back that consumers opted for the 7800XT over the 4070, and ignored things like DLSS and Ray Tracing, which they made big selling points of to justify there pricing, over more VRAM and a lower price, and need to answer AMD.

It is surprising I didn't think the GPU crowd were this savvy, to opt for actual performance + VRAM for less money rather NV's more expensive fake frames + less VRAM. RT is what it has always been - a gimmick. I think many can see that now, unless you're at the top end it's not much use to people in the few games it's actually implemented into. There's zero buzz around RT either, unless you're NV.

Back
Top Bottom