• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Reality is UK operates similar to Australia now and will have higher prices and lower stock. US and Europe not really seeing the same problems with 7800xt (yet). Infact you can import a GPU from Portugal through rainforest and it ends up cheaper than UK retail.

The UK is the biggest gaming market in Europe:

The UK and Germany are almost the same in hardware spends:

In 2022, the European market for PCs generated a total revenue of over 44.6 billion euros. Germany and the United Kingdom had the highest revenue, with approximately 5.4 and 5.3 billion euros, respectively.

We also have almost three times the population of Australia. But despite having less people than Germany we spend more per person on tech,at over 10% of the entire European market in 2023.

So AMD has abandoned the lucrative UK market,which is what they did during the Pandemic as they wouldn't sell reference models at RRP here. Also importing from Europe is not a good idea now,especially if you want to RMA because there is far more paperwork now.

Nvidia,OTH,hasn't abandoned the UK market unlike AMD with their massive 17.5% desktop share. No wonder Nvidia is making so much money. AMD is acting like it can just abandon large markets randomly.

gpu-marketshare-throughout-the-years-now-nvidia-84-amd-12-v0-rqfxqis36q7b1.png

Last edited:

We also have almost three times the population of Australia. But despite having less people than Germany we spend more per person on tech,at over 10% of the entire European market in 2023.

So AMD has abandoned the lucrative UK market,which is what they did during the Pandemic as they wouldn't sell reference models at RRP here. Also importing from Europe is not a good idea now,especially if you want to RMA because there is far more paperwork now.

Nvidia,OTH,hasn't abandoned the UK market unlike AMD with their massive 17.5% desktop share. No wonder Nvidia is making so much money. AMD is acting like it can just abandon large markets randomly.

I don't really want to get into a debate about this but there's probably only a few companies in UK capable or willing to import larger quantities of these GPUs. So they can all set the price as they wish. As you've highlighted AMD have a smaller market so this will be diluted further as they won't be making the same amount of chips as Nvidia unless they wanted to go bust.

The German mother's of OCUK have sold stock (and will also have more in 2 weeks) at much closer to RRP than OCUK. Other UK retailers have sold them much closer to RRP and also expect more in few weeks.

Because of complications with warranties and other reasons OCUK won't stock certain manufacturers either.(XFX is one I think and they have some great GPUs)

AMD themselves never manufacturer large quantities of GPUs themselves and this was always left to other vendors to make reference cards and distribute. The MBA was a niche experiment meant for limited quantities but it's just a reference card likely made by sapphire in an AMD box.

UK has a weird obsession with the AMD store likely because Nvidia were able to supply quality FE cards at the correct RRP before they handed that off to another seller. Would you buy an AMD CPU from the AMD store at those prices?

My advice is wait until the 2nd round of shipments land in UK/Europe and see if it impacts the price here at OCUK.

I don't really want to get into a debate about this but there's probably only a few companies in UK capable or willing to import larger quantities of these GPUs. So they can all set the price as they wish. As you've highlighted AMD have a smaller market so this will be diluted further as they won't be making the same amount of chips as Nvidia unless they wanted to go bust.

The German mother's of OCUK have sold stock (and will also have more in 2 weeks) at much closer to RRP than OCUK. Other UK retailers have sold them much closer to RRP and also expect more in few weeks.

Because of complications with warranties and other reasons OCUK won't stock certain manufacturers either.(XFX is one I think and they have some great GPUs)

AMD themselves never manufacturer large quantities of GPUs themselves and this was always left to other vendors to make reference cards and distribute. The MBA was a niche experiment meant for limited quantities but it's just a reference card likely made by sapphire in an AMD box.

UK has a weird obsession with the AMD store likely because Nvidia were able to supply quality FE cards at the correct RRP before they handed that off to another seller. Would you buy an AMD CPU from the AMD store at those prices?

My advice is wait until the 2nd round of shipments land in UK/Europe and see if it impacts the price here at OCUK.
The free Starfield promo is over now so not interested now unless it dips under £450. If I was interested in an overpriced £500 card with no game I could have an RTX4070 with Diablo 4 a while back for just over £500. Also I don't care about other markets. They are both £400 cards tarted up one level. £480 with a £50 game was just about acceptable.

Considering how I criticised the RTX4070 pricing as poor, I find it very weird poorly priced cards are OK as long as they are AMD ones.

AMD launched 5 months after the RTX4070 and 10 months after the RX7900XT. If this is the best they can do, then if you want to wait for Godot please be my guest. If people on here have such low expectations then it explains this whole generation. The pandemic and Turing before it have managed it downwards in an impressive way.

Last edited:
The free Starfield promo is over now so not interested now unless it dips under £450. If I was interested in an overpriced £500 card with no game I could have an RTX4070 with Diablo 4 a while back for just over £500. Also I don't care about other markets. They are both £400 cards tarted up one level.

Considering how I criticised the RTX4070 pricing as poor, I find it very weird poorly priced cards are OK as long as they are AMD ones
I happy to criticise the MSRP of both cards but that's not what the conversation was about. The few UK retailers that want to import GPUs can set whatever price they want. That means an extra £50 on the 7800xt...

The value of starfield codes was always going to depreciate over time anyway. The game is also available on game pass and people will have many hours in game by now. So if you wanted to do man maths to lower the cost price you would have had to bite on day 1.

If the price of the RTX 4070 and 7800xt remain this close in the UK it's going to be a question of personal choice for anyone who is willing to shop around for the best price on either GPU.
Or alternatively buy nothing

You never named your 2 favourite retailers that got not stock either? ignore

Last edited:
I happy to criticise the MSRP of both cards but that's not what the conversation was about. The few UK retailers that want to import GPUs can set whatever price they want. That means an extra £50 on the 7800xt...

The value of starfield codes was always going to depreciate over time anyway. The game is also available on game pass and people will have many hours in game by now. So if you wanted to do man maths to lower the cost price you would have had to bite on day 1.

If the price of the RTX 4070 and 7800xt remain this close in the UK it's going to be a question of personal choice for anyone who is willing to shop around for the best price on either GPU.
Or alternatively buy nothing

You never named your 2 favourite retailers that got not stock either?

It’s against the rules to name competitors and could lead to a ban.

I agree on the Starfield value dropping over time. I was always going to get the premium version and was ready to grab it for £65 from CD Keys. But it’s worth £35 max now on the MM. Because I was also debating a replacement for a 6700 XT, it was only rational to look at an AMD GPU with the free Starfield premium code as I wanted early access. So either bite on the EOL 6800 XT at £500, the 7900 XT at £700, or wait to see what the 7800 XT was like.

I went with a 7900 XT Pulse for an effective £635 to me. Hard to believe the prices have gone up since then. No wonder AMD looks like a poor choice again. We really need some pricing stability again.

Last edited:

Nvidia abandoned Australia though, you can't buy FE GPUs there since the rtx2000 series

There's a website selling RX 7800 XTs for £488 now. But, they don't have that many in stock yet.

The reference model MSRP is ~£488 also, I think this is likely to be how much most cards will sell for, by the end of the year.

Last edited:
The free Starfield promo is over now so not interested now unless it dips under £450. If I was interested in an overpriced £500 card with no game I could have an RTX4070 with Diablo 4 a while back for just over £500. Also I don't care about other markets. They are both £400 cards tarted up one level. £480 with a £50 game was just about acceptable.

Considering how I criticised the RTX4070 pricing as poor, I find it very weird poorly priced cards are OK as long as they are AMD ones.

AMD launched 5 months after the RTX4070 and 10 months after the RX7900XT. If this is the best they can do, then if you want to wait for Godot please be my guest. If people on here have such low expectations then it explains this whole generation. The pandemic and Turing before it have managed it downwards in an impressive way.
Facts!

Last edited:
I personally think about ~£440 would be a good price for a RX 7800 XT. So, around 10% less than the reference model.

£440 is what my brother paid for a GTX 1080 when these were relatively new, and there has been quite a lot of inflation sense then.

The price of the RX 7700 XT definitely needs to come down first, considering that the 6700 XT was one of the best value cards from AMD or Nvidia, and cost ~£100 less.

Last edited:
£440 is what my brother paid for a GTX 1080 when these were relatively new, and there has been quite a lot of inflation sense then.
A 1080 offered 80% the performance of a 1080ti though while a 7800XT is only around 50% of a 4090 which would have been equivalent to a GTX1060 in the stack back then so using inflation alone based on this it would mean the 7800XT should cost in the region of £305 so in reality the cost increase we see is 3X above uk inflation.

@Joxeon - Don't know what reality you are talking about. Why are you comparing it to a card priced at ~£1,500?

The RX 7800 XT is around 120% faster than a GTX 1080 and can easily handle games at 1080p. It's targeted at 1440p gaming. It also has twice the amount of VRAM.

That's what people with a card like the GTX 1080 will likely be considering.

These would be a good deal if sold at £440, dual fan or triple.

It's true that it's not much of an upgrade compared to the RX 6800 XT, but it does provide around 2x the performance of the RX 5700 XT:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-5700-xt.c3339

Last edited:
@Joxeon - Don't know what reality you are talking about. Why are you comparing it to a card priced at ~£1,500?

The RX 7800 XT is around 120% faster than a GTX 1080 and can easily handle games at 1080p. It's targeted at 1440p gaming. It also has twice the amount of VRAM.

That's what people with a card like the GTX 1080 will likely be considering.

These would be a good deal if sold at £440, dual fan or triple.

It's true that it's not much of an upgrade compared to the RX 6800 XT, but it does provide around 2x the performance of the RX 5700 XT:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-5700-xt.c3339
I think you're missing the point that a 7800XT is a much lower tier of card than a GTX1080 was, sure you'll get an ok uplift over a 6/7 year old 1080 but then if you compare to the uplift a 1080 gave at release when going back 6/7 years at that time a 120% doesn't look anything special compared to the 1080 which gave a 400% increase for the same price.

The RX 6800 XT was $650.

The 7800 XT is $500, that's a 25% reduction in price with AV1 encode / Decode and a 10% boost in RT.

Compare that too the 3080 having been $700, the 4080 is currently $1100, that's a 57% hike in price for a 49% boost in performance.

Last edited:
The RX 6800 XT was $650.

The 7800 XT is $500, that's a 25% reduction in price with AV1 encode / Decode and a 10% boost in RT.

Compare that too the 3080 having been $700, the 4080 is currently $1100, that's a 57% hike in price for a 49% boost in performance.
This.

I think it's important not to get distracted by names on boxes. I want the same money to be able to buy more performance. That's the definition of progress I try to focus on.

And it's important to start from a reference point that's a good value. I think the $700 3080 and the $650 6800XT are good reference ponts to use when judging this generation's progress.

I think the 7800XT is "okay" progress. -not spectacular, but fine.

I think it's important not to get distracted by names on boxes.
Completely agree.

Whether or not the RX 7800 XT is a good card I think depends almost entirely on how competitively it is priced /what the customer paid to get one.

If they can get frame generation (AFMF) working in all dx11/12 games without disabling itself during fast camera movements, this would add significant value to RDNA3 cards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom