• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Associate
It does make me wonder if it would be a good overclocker, although wouldn't that need a special BIOS due to them being severely limited nowadays or that just a Nvidia thing.

260w on the ref card with 15% extra. stock it made 250 W OC 287 W. gave 100mhz more on core and 75 mhz on the memory gave 5% extra performance in

guessing the powercolor red devil pulls a bit more.

Caporegime
AMD at Gamescom.

Join Us on August 25th for:

• Eight hours of gaming entertainment
  • Hands-on gaming in latest games with FSR
  • Play and stress test the latest gaming hardware
  • Raffles
  • Signing sessions with your favorite gamers
  • Free swag and more

Hopefully somewhere in there we get to see the new GPU's and FSR 3.

Caporegime
"Late Q3" Well Q3 ends on the 30'th, its gotta be Gamescom on the 25'th if this is true.

I mean how much longer do they want to wait? Until Nvidia beats them to it with an Ada refresh?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
"Late Q3" Well Q3 ends on the 30'th, its gotta be Gamescom on the 25'th if this is true.

I mean how much longer do they want to wait? Until Nvidia beats them to it with an Ada refresh?

Maybe nvidia hasn't given them permission yet. In dGPUs, AMD is nvidia's obedient follower.

But I think the most likely reason is that the 7000 series cards they're labelling as 7700XT and 7800XT are little or no better than the corresponding 6000 series cards and they've been waiting until at least almost all of those have been sold. Who's going to pay a high price for a new midrange card that's no better than the previous version that they could buy for a lower price? AMD broke their range when they relabled the second tier as the top tier because it left them without an actual second tier card. It didn't even work very well for its intended purpose of inflating the profit margin for the second tier card because too many people realised what AMD were doing and didn't buy it.

Soldato
Especially if it's an 8 hour stream

But anyway it's already confirmed that new GPUs will be announced, Scott herkelman just told his Twitter followers that

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe nvidia hasn't given them permission yet. In dGPUs, AMD is nvidia's obedient follower.

But I think the most likely reason is that the 7000 series cards they're labelling as 7700XT and 7800XT are little or no better than the corresponding 6000 series cards and they've been waiting until at least almost all of those have been sold. Who's going to pay a high price for a new midrange card that's no better than the previous version that they could buy for a lower price? AMD broke their range when they relabled the second tier as the top tier because it left them without an actual second tier card. It didn't even work very well for its intended purpose of inflating the profit margin for the second tier card because too many people realised what AMD were doing and didn't buy it.
Yeap had AMD properly named and priced the 7900XT as a 7800XT for $700 from the start then I suspect it would have been this generations best seller but priced at $900 just made people go out and get the 4070ti for $800 instead, they've cut prices now but most people don't want to wait 8 months to get a GPU for the price it should have launched at initially.

Last edited:
Associate
Any ideas on performance relative to last gen for these two cards?

I don't expect we're going to getting anything better than a 6800XT and a 6950XT matcher.

Soldato
Any ideas on performance relative to last gen for these two cards?

I don't expect we're going to getting anything better than a 6800XT and a 6950XT matcher.
IIRC rumours point towards 4-12% performance improvement depending on resolution, if that turns out to be true though it's pretty much going to be DOA.

No one in their right mind is going to pay what's expected to be anything from the same price to $100+ more for those sorts of improvements, especially when you can buy a 6950XT for $50 more.

Soldato
IIRC rumours point towards 4-12% performance improvement depending on resolution, if that turns out to be true though it's pretty much going to be DOA.

No one in their right mind is going to pay what's expected to be anything from the same price to $100+ more for those sorts of improvements, especially when you can buy a 6950XT for $50 more.

All the current info points to about 6900 XT - 6950 XT performance for 6800 XT prices. So about 15% better than the 6800 XT for about £620, which is pretty terrible.

I was holding out to see how the price/perf worked out with a view to upgrade a 6700 XT, because the current Nvidia offerings for £500 - £600 are frankly tripe. So this looks like AMD will be only slightly better.

It is why the 7900 XT at £700 with the Starfield code seems such good value.

Last edited:
Soldato
What

All the current info points to about 6900 XT - 6950 XT performance for 6800 XT prices. So about 15% better than the 6800 XT for about £620, which is pretty terrible.

I was holding out to see how the price/perf worked out with a view to upgrade a 6700 XT, because the current Nvidia offerings for £500 - £600 are frankly tripe. So this looks like AMD will be only slightly better.

Its even worse when you realise Navi 32 is the replacement for Navi 22,aka the chip in the RX6700XT. So basically like Nvidia took the RTX3060TI replacement and priced it near £600,AMD is doing the same.

Caporegime

I can't see a GPU 30% slower than the 7900XT being only $50 cheaper.

Soldato
I can't see a GPU 30% slower than the 7900XT being only $50 cheaper.

You forget....this is AMD. They did the same with the RX7900XT,and made the RTX4070TI 12GB look better than it should(as it was cheaper). So following on from that,they will overprice the RX7800XT to make the RTX4070 look "decent" and then in a few months when the price drops,it will look better. By then the damage will be done and people will have just bought something else. All the reviews will be around showing how overpriced it is.

Maybe AMD needs to stop sniffing the fumes from the stock market analysts and actually look at their own customers. If not they will just end up with less than 10% sales share.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You forget....this is AMD. They did the same with the RX7900XT,and made the RTX4070TI 12GB look better than it should(as it was cheaper). So following on from that,they will overprice the RX7800XT to make the RTX4070 look "decent" and then in a few months when the price drops,it will look better. By then the damage will be done and people will have just bought something else. All the reviews will be around showing how overpriced it is.

Maybe AMD needs to stop sniffing the fumes from the stock market analysts and actually look at their own customers. If not they will just end up with less than 10% sales share.

This is even more stupid than that.

Soldato
It's all very odd behaviour, it looks like either incompetence or collusion. Neither or which are good. There could have course be something we aren't aware of driving these decisions...the unknown unknown :cry:

Caporegime
Look...

The 7900XTX, the true successor to the 6900XT at near 50% faster remained at the same price, $999.99
The by name successor the 7900XT, at 30% faster, was $900, even for as much as we all agree its actually the 7800XT and over priced it was still name for name cheaper.
The 7600, 30% faster than its name sake replacement while also 20% cheaper.

There is nothing in any of that ^^^ to suggest the name sake 7800XT is going to be the same price for similar performance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom