any nutrition experts?

Permabanned
well the porridge sachet is 27g, I use water instead of milk and normally i'd just add sweetener instead of sugar to add flavour, obviously if I try that whey protein out I won't bother with sweetener.

Are you a fan of Honey at all? It's a good carb and not too calorie dence like sugar. There's no real need to add whey powder in unless your trying to increase your protein intake. It can be quite calorific when compared to sweetener or honey.

Soldato
Are you a fan of Honey at all? It's a good carb and not too calorie dence like sugar. There's no real need to add whey powder in unless your trying to increase your protein intake. It can be quite calorific when compared to sweetener or honey.

i must admit i'm not a fan of the taste of honey.

I think i've just got too much information flowing into my head, people suggesting this and that, i'm just a basic person who just does the basics, 3 meals a day job done.

tbh I think I don't eat as much protein as I should but even then I don't actually know what the benefits of protein is when it comes to weight loss.

Soldato
tbh I think I don't eat as much protein as I should but even then I don't actually know what the benefits of protein is when it comes to weight loss.

Unless you need it, i don't see the point of adding whey protein for the sake of it. Unless you are replacing a ton of sugar for a scoop of whey at 100 Kcalories.

I can see why someone might suggest protein if you told them you are hungry after eating breakfast as protein is filling but not so much so that it will make a huge difference and if you end up replacing a bit of sugar with a fair bit of protein, you'll likely end up increasing calories.

If you eat meat several times daily, then you likely get enough protein for someone who doesn't exercise and doesn't do a manual job, so i wouldn't worry too much about that.

Count everything you eat using MFP and you will find where your extra calories come from. Once you take notice of these, it will be easy to drop weight by cutting out unnecessary stuff. You will probably find that you will end up eating cleaner and more satisfying foods not after long.

Weight loss is fairly simple for people with a bit of fat to lose and the magic bullet is simply to use more calories than you eat.

Soldato
I tend to lose a lot of weight quickly, When i've actually got the motivation I'm very good at being strict on myself and sticking to just three meals a day (cut all the junk out, fizzy drinks are replaced with roughly 2-3l of water daily), which at the minute will be porridge (With water and sweetener/protein thing), big bowl of cooked frozen mixed veg (Peas, carrots and cauliflower) and cut up chicken breast, and cause i still live at home with parents I'll have whatever my old girl has made when i get home from work.

So on the face of it i'm not really consuming that many calories, my issue is I work an office job i leave at 7.30am and be home at roughly 6.15-6.30pm, so it's difficult to get exercise in, during my lunch period i do go for a walk in a park that's conveniently behind my work place and the trail is roughly a mile long, and by the time i get home finish my evening meal that's me spent and too tired to do much else.

This is what's been suggested to me by a colleague who uses it who used to be roughly my size few years ago and now looks fantastic huge difference to what he used to be
https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-diet-whey/10530657.html

Man of Honour
Whey is not magic, you're just throwing extra calories in at the end of the day. If the issue is that you need to lose weight throwing an extra couple of hundred calories on top of your normal diet is pointless. The fact it has diet in the title is just a way to rob people of more money the effect on weight loss from the couple of extra bits they mix in is minimal at very best.

Soldato
Totally agree. Your mate probably exercised or was strict with diet to get to where he is. Adding whey without other changes is just adding calories you dont need. No different to a bit of extra chicken breast in the morning

Soldato
Sorry to hijack, got a question about whey protein in weight loss.

So i'm 6ft and quite obese so currently trying to lose my gut.

At the minute I struggle with breakfast, in terms of I find it hard to eat in the morning and when I do i find i'm usually starving after eating something like shredded wheat.

Rest of the day i'm pretty good at keeping myself strict with no snacks and drinking roughly 2-3L of water a day.

Lunch time is usually chicken and a massive bowl of mixed veg and when I get home from work around 6pm I'll have whatever's been made for me for dinner (Last night was a homemade chicken curry yum)

I've been suggested trying porridge with water and adding a scope/30g of flavoured diet whey protein powder as an alternative to sugar, is this something that is recommended for me? I like porridge anyway and have a box of Quakers 27g sachets in my drawer, but i'm clueless when it comes to nutrients in general, I normally just stick to three meals a day and try and get on with it.

If you don't fancy eating in the morning, don't. There's no requirement to start eating the moment you get up and if not eating and waiting till lunch works better for hunger than eating something insubstantial for breakfast and then feeling ravenous, clearly the former is a better strategy for dietary adherence long-term, since the latter might more easily lead to caving in and eating away the caloric deficit required to lose your gut. Removing breakfast creates a bigger caloric deficit without any effort, which can be useful if one of your meals is somewhat out of your control and energy dense, or if your weight loss is already proceeding at a desirable rate, you can redistribute those calories you would have had to your other meals, which means they can be larger, typically more psychologically satisfying and allow for a bit more flexibility in food choices.

Ideally protein should be a key part of all meals when you do eat them, due to it being satiating, assisting in the preservation of lean body mass (as when people say they want to lose weight, they really mean they want to lose fat and not muscle or bone density) and having a higher thermic effect - it takes more calories to digest than carbs or fats - so 'proats' (protein + oats) is a good shout vs just regular cereal and a bit of milk... although you'd just use any regular whey or casein protein.

Soldato
, my issue is I work an office job i leave at 7.30am and be home at roughly 6.15-6.30pm, so it's difficult to get exercise in, during my lunch period i do go for a walk in a park that's conveniently behind my work place and the trail is roughly a mile long, and by the time i get home finish my evening meal that's me spent and too tired to do much else.

Laziness and making excuses.

I'm up 6.30 every day ( I have a 3 year old) get home from work the same time as you.

Still am able to spend time with my kid,cook dinner and work out for at least an hour.

I do this at least 4 times a week often 5.

The time is there, you just dont want to use it.

Last edited:
Underboss
OP
Want to bring this back up and ask about counting calories..

my Step Dad has a fitbit, and tells me hes using up around 3500 calories a day
I wear a Garmin Vivoactive 3 and my Garmin is saying a lot less, but i am MORE active and he tells me i should be consuming around 4000 calories

although he goes to the Gym every day for 45 mins to an hour, his work involves a lot of traveling (driving) and tries to hit 10K steps a day
My job is very active ( i feel like a builder) and im doing heavy work a lot of the time, always on my feet, doing like 12K steps a day, also doing swimming AND running, hitting 22K steps in a day is possible/

I do not know if hes right (although hes a sports coach and RAF trained, he knows his stuff !!)
i just think is his fitbit inaccurate ? or do i really need to aim for 4000 calories ?

i do feel pretty tired every day

Soldato
Great thread for me as I'm currently working on losing weight. So far I've dropped 3st in 3 months (21st 8.4 down to 18st 6.2 this morning). I'm using MyFitrnessPal to count calories and am aiming for 2,000 a day. I'm then also cycling 4 or 5 times a week. I use Strava to track my cycling and that links in to MFP to show me how many calories I burn.

Love the graphic of how the diets work. The last few days have been a good example. Sunday I had a proper cheat day. Ate over 4,000 calories and apparently put on 1½lbs in a day. Monday and Tuesday I managed to only eat 1,600 calories and cycled for 14 miles (1hr) on Tuesday, this morning I'd lost 5lbs since Sunday!

Interesting points on cereals. I've swapped breakfast and before bed snacks to be cereals, which seems to have worked, but I guess by replacing loads of calories I had before to around 180 of cereal. Maybe I'll try porridge instead for breakfast.

Quite often now I have a home made shake of fruit and veg (with oats and natural yogurt) for an evening meal, or even skip it totally. If I've worked out or cycled I will have a protein shake or a protein bar/cookie too.

Is there a way to share your MFP so others can see what your eating and offer advice?

Soldato
Want to bring this back up and ask about counting calories..

I wear a Garmin Vivoactive 3 and my Garmin is saying a lot less, but i am MORE active and he tells me i should be consuming around 4000 calories

although he goes to the Gym every day for 45 mins to an hour, his work involves a lot of traveling (driving) and tries to hit 10K steps a day
My job is very active ( i feel like a builder) and im doing heavy work a lot of the time, always on my feet, doing like 12K steps a day, also doing swimming AND running, hitting 22K steps in a day is possible/

I do not know if hes right (although hes a sports coach and RAF trained, he knows his stuff !!)
i just think is his fitbit inaccurate ? or do i really need to aim for 4000 calories ?

i do feel pretty tired every day

Activity trackers are useful for seeing how consistent you're being, but not very accurate for gauging energy expenditure (they have been studied and there's lots of articles about said studies showing how off they can be). If you track your weight and it's currently stable, then your caloric intake is sufficient and eating more is just going to lead to weight gain, although maintenance calories exist within and range and it can be useful to see what the upper end of this range is. 4000 calories is way higher than most people would need to weight-stable; just off the top of my head, you'd have to be an extremely active 100kg male to warrant that level of intake.

If you're tired all the time, my first port of call would be to look at if you're meeting your caloric needs but food choices overall could be more healthful nutritionally in terms of macro and micro nutrition and if you're getting enough sleep. Doing heavy work all the time without giving your body much time to recover is inevitability going to lead to some form of fatigue as well - more food can't make up for a lack of rest.

Soldato
Is there a way to share your MFP so others can see what your eating and offer advice?

You can share with friends and they can see your diary and copy from it. Makes it much easier when me and the missus eat and cook the same thing. Not too sure about strangers but you can probably make it public and then post on the community for general advice.

Underboss
OP
Activity trackers are useful for seeing how consistent you're being, but not very accurate for gauging energy expenditure (they have been studied and there's lots of articles about said studies showing how off they can be). If you track your weight and it's currently stable, then your caloric intake is sufficient and eating more is just going to lead to weight gain, although maintenance calories exist within and range and it can be useful to see what the upper end of this range is. 4000 calories is way higher than most people would need to weight-stable; just off the top of my head, you'd have to be an extremely active 100kg male to warrant that level of intake.

If you're tired all the time, my first port of call would be to look at if you're meeting your caloric needs but food choices overall could be more healthful nutritionally in terms of macro and micro nutrition and if you're getting enough sleep. Doing heavy work all the time without giving your body much time to recover is inevitability going to lead to some form of fatigue as well - more food can't make up for a lack of rest.

Thanks, read your post last night and had a good look at myself. I'm now quite certain it's lack of sleep

I changed departments 3 years ago and it's been happening since then. I now get up just before 5am for work, so I'm only getting around 6 hours sleep sometimes less.
I eat quite healthy so I don't feel that is the problem.

Time to start going to bed earlier

Soldato

My Fitbit tells me I average 2.7k calories burned per day. Its been consistently around this mark for 7 weeks. My daily food intake has averaged 2.1k per day in this time, and over the last 3 weeks I have gained weight, 1.3lb, y.

Bottom line is don't believe the fitbit for calorie burn. It helps you understand consistency but its not accurate to what's actually happening.

Back
Top Bottom