Any retail shopfloor workers working on Christmas eve?

Consigliere
I don't do gin but I've got a pouffe containg:-
2 bottles of smirnoff and coke
2 cans of smirnoff and cranberry
3 330ml bottles of prosecco
1 bottle Strawberry Sours
1 bottler rasberry Sours
1 bottle Tia Maria
1 bottle chambord
1 bottle Taylor's Port
1 bottle amaretto
1 big bottle prosecco
a few cans of Kronenbourg

I love you listed the current selection and wow what a selection! :p

Man of Honour
We have several other shops and businesses around where I work - it always amuses me how often someone turns up specifically to one of them 1-2 hours after closing, then despite there being a big sign on most of them of the opening times asks the nearest person working nearby (who generally clearly doesn't work for that company) what time the business closed and starts sounding off like it is that person's fault.

Soldato
I'm talking about how it was and maybe still is for those in the Boots group of companies. This used to include Halfords and of course Boots were also sold off many years ago too. It used to be that in a high street store you were paid for 9am to 5.30pm 5 days a week with an hours lunch break that was unpaid, so 37.5 hours per week. This took no account of having to be in the store before and after it closed for it to function, such as putting tills on and taking them off, doing final till reads, end of day procedure on back office computer.

That's a problem with the employers though not the customer. When I worked in retail many moons ago. Store closed at 2100, last entry was 2050 and shift end was 2130. Usually on the tills most people had well cashed up and were out doing a walk around tidying up for at least 15 minutes before there shift ended.

Man of Honour
That's a problem with the employers though not the customer. When I worked in retail many moons ago. Store closed at 2100, last entry was 2050 and shift end was 2130. Usually on the tills most people had well cashed up and were out doing a walk around tidying up for at least 15 minutes before there shift ended.

Even so - it is just a bit of common decency really if you are popping in within minutes of closing to have at least a little sense of urgency and not mess people around unnecessarily. Some people just don't seem to have a clue yet would be the first ones complaining if on the other end of it.

Soldato
Even so - it is just a bit of common decency really if you are popping in within minutes of closing to have at least a little sense of urgency and not mess people around unnecessarily. Some people just don't seem to have a clue yet would be the first ones complaining if on the other end of it.

True, but the only paying till shop closes etc is an employer issue. Though if someone is going in to a shop just before closing, they should just be 'nipping in and out' to grab a couple of essentials.

Soldato

It is but it's also not necessary for the general public to be sanctimonious ********* about being able to get into a shop right up to the point it closes, knowing full well that they're not going to be able to get what they came in for and check out before the store closing time. As a customer you've had all day so you need to sort your life out instead of turning up on the dot of a store closing and make it everyone else's problem.

Man of Honour
As a customer you've had all day so you need to sort your life out instead of turning up on the dot of a store closing and make it everyone else's problem.
Interesting, so customers don't have jobs then? Their only job is to wait until just before closing time to annoy you?

Pubs and clubs manage to stop people coming in within a certain period of the closing time, if the higher ups really wanted to they could introduce similar in a shop but they don't therefore customers are free to enter whenever until the doors are locked which isn't really their fault.

Soldato
As a customer you've had all day so you need to sort your life out instead of turning up on the dot of a store closing and make it everyone else's problem.

Very presumptuous... You have no idea why that person has to come in at that time. They may work unsociably long hours? Or perhaps they were caught behind at work by somebody coming in or speaking to them on the phone and keep them past their finish time...

Soldato
True, but the only paying till shop closes etc is an employer issue. Though if someone is going in to a shop just before closing, they should just be 'nipping in and out' to grab a couple of essentials.

But as an employee you can't make your employer change things and you may work in an area where you can't just give your notice and go work somewhere else because some areas don't have a lot of jobs for the number of people that live there.

Soldato
Very presumptuous... You have no idea why that person has to come in at that time. They may work unsociably long hours? Or perhaps they were caught behind at work by somebody coming in or speaking to them on the phone and keep them past their finish time...

It's not the shops problem or the shop staff's. They could order online or come in on another day. You shouldn't be going into a shop in the last 10 minutes of it being open and expecting to rock up to the till at the last minute.

Man of Honour
It's not the shops problem or the shop staff's. They could order online or come in on another day. You shouldn't be going into a shop in the last 10 minutes of it being open and expecting to rock up to the till at the last minute.
It's not the customers problem if no one stops them entering.

Soldato
Interesting, so customers don't have jobs then? Their only job is to wait until just before closing time to annoy you?

Pubs and clubs manage to stop people coming in within a certain period of the closing time, if the higher ups really wanted to they could introduce similar in a shop but they don't therefore customers are free to enter whenever until the doors are locked which isn't really their fault.

Which is why I said where I was we closed the doors before closing time to stop the problem from occurring. However, in reality it doesn't always stop it, it just moves the problem to someone kicking your door in, in a temper because they can't get their own way. The worst day for it was always a Sunday in summer time since many customers would just assume if it was light outside that you ought to be open and be completely oblivious to opening times even though they're clearly displayed on the door.

Soldato
It's not the customers problem if no one stops them entering.

You don't understand retail, customers who are blocked from entering because you've locked the doors to only allow existing customers to complete their purchases, it then escalates to a locked out customer claiming that they ought to be able to come in even though you know that you can't serve all that you have before the store hits its closing time. Most of them are just arrogant types looking for a fight over anything and will kick off when you try to stop any snow-flake from telling you what they are allowed to do on private property. Most shops don't have bouncers because it would add massively to staffing costs and the viability of running a store to make a profit.

Each retail store is private property of which you are cordially invited into on the basis you're respecting the owners rules. It isn't a god given right that a customer has to enter any store. Its very rude to expect everyone to stay behind to serve you when there are other things staff have to do to close a store down and they just want to get home themselves.

Man of Honour
You don't understand retail, customers who are blocked from entering because you've locked the doors to only allow existing customers to complete their purchases, it then escalates to a locked out customer claiming that they ought to be able to come in even though you know that you can't serve all that you have before the store hits its closing time. Most of them are just arrogant types looking for a fight over anything and will kick off when you try to stop any snow-flake from telling you what they are allowed to do on private property. Most shops don't have bouncers because it would add massively to staffing costs and the viability of running a store to make a profit.

Each retail store is private property of which you are cordially invited into on the basis you're respecting the owners rules. It isn't a god given right that a customer has to enter any store. Its very rude to expect everyone to stay behind to serve you when there are other things staff have to do to close a store down and they just want to get home themselves.
I understand stopping the general public from entering private property better than you could ever imagine :)

I bet you've never had them come back with a gun because you wouldn't let them in :D

Soldato
I understand stopping the general public from entering private property better than you could ever imagine :)

I bet you've never had them come back with a gun because you wouldn't let them in :D

Well, close, I stayed at a friend's pub when someone who was barred that evening returned with a shotgun.

Fortunately the retail side of things I worked in a fairly well to do area for the most part so it was more often a toff that thought they owned everywhere and could boss everyone around.

Soldato
Why do retail workers think they are so special? what about the other people working on Christmas day to keep the world running..

do you think TV is all automated and ran my machines? but you expect to watch it how selfish! you should be ashamed..
Complaining someone comes in to the store 5 minutes before closing.... god forbid....

Your like those store managers that refuse to serve customers because they would rather cash up with 30minutes before closing, expecting to leave on the dot as soon as the doors close....

pathetic!

I bet if your internet goes down on Christmas day you will be one of the first people on here to complain....
never mind these people had to sacrifice their Christmas...... so you can use the internet like it's some legal birth right

Retail workers must be one of the few industries where almost no one actually works on Christmas day and they still complain :cry:

why not go sing carols outside your local hospital and thank all the NHS workers for their sacrifice.

don't be a Christmas Karen!
i work in retail and never moan, only person i see moaning all the time seems to be you , seems to be some sort of chip on your shoulder or something

Soldato

It IS the shop's problem though. If the shop is allowing people to enter in the last 10 mins and they get to the tills in the last minute then that is not the customer's fault, that's the shop's fault for allowing it.

Blaming a customer for a bad shop policy is just silly.... It's like blaming customers if 100 all rocked up to the tills at 4pm on a Tuesday yet it's shop policy to only have 3 tills open at any one time?

Back
Top Bottom