anyone do their food shopping online?

Soldato
Have done it a few times, ones to avoid are asda, really bad for short dates, it seems they go out there way to give you the stuff that is out of date the very next day.
Tesco not so bad but often item alternatives turn up.

Pickers don't get told to pick the short dated stuff. Thousands of items need picking each day, so they'll just pick the first thing off the shelf. If stock rotation is done properly, then the items that expiry quickly will be at the front of the shelf. A picker just doesn't have time to hunt around for your packet of ham that has a few extra days of 'goodness' to it. There's no maliciousness in it, it's just that there are an awful lot of items to be picked in a short amount of time.
If you don't like it, you can get the driver to refund it to you or you can phone the helpline on your receipt and they'll help you out.

The substitutions can be hilarious though! But again, the driver should tell you about substitutions (and it says at the top of the receipt) and if you don't want it, just tell the driver and he'll scan the item, take it away and you'll get a refund.

Soldato
Do it quite a lot as Asda is miles away and they do an 8 hour slot for £2.50. And are the only shop that sell root beer.

My only gripe is that the delivery charges seem to be getting more and more expensive at Tesco where if you do a shop once a week you are going to be racking up £25 worth of charges.

Associate
Do our big weekly shop online with Asda. Had no real problems with the quality of the fresh goods, a couple of weeks ago got some very short dated meat but a quick call to the call centre resulted in a full refund for those products.

Personally with 2 kids and us both working full time it's a time thing mainly. If we had a waitrose within 40 miles I could see us visiting there more often due to the larger range of interesting foods but as it stands Asda will have to do.

Very handy when ordering lots of cheap lager for parties or bulk amounts of nappies during baby events etc.

Soldato
I've been consider this for all the bulky stuff. When I had a car I used to get this stuff every month. Now I tend to buy it when I need it, but I do get caught out.

When I live is hard to find and has dreadful access, anyone in the same situation had problems?

Last edited:
Associate
i've done it few times when there offers like free delivery and £10 off £50 spend etc. but if its not on offer i dont.

Associate
I use tesco from time to time, used to use them regularly because there's better things to do with my time than spend an hour looking at cornflakes.

Never had any issue with dates or goods being shoddy to be honest. Had a mix up in the bags once and when we phoned it in they told us to keep what we had, they'd resend the order and not charge us for the second load of goods.

Associate
I don't have a car so we do 1 or 2 bulk shops a month getting heavy bags and store cupboard things and it comes straight to your door. Only had a couple of problems an egg broke here and there. They will just refund you the money and sometimes let you keep the rest of the eggs. We use Sainsbury's they give you an hour slot and if they are 1 minute late they give you a £10 voucher.

Soldato
We have a Tesco, Asda and Morrisons all within 5 minutes drive from where I live, so not much point using an online service.

I can see the benefits of it though. It would certainly lead to less impulse buying. We always end up buying way more than we went into the shop to get.

Soldato
Never used that site, always just shop with Tesco. There's no big supermarket around where I am so it's a lot easier getting a big shop done every month for mainly cupboard/freezer stuff and a few vegetables/fridge stuff that I might use that week. Otherwise I pick them up on the way back from uni or something. Waiting for a Tesco delivery atm actually :)

Caporegime
Sometimes use it, but only for certain stuff.

I will not buy fresh meat or fruit and veg. My reasons are simple. They are products which can vary greatly between each item. For example, when spending £12+ on a leg of lamb for dinner, I want to choose the leg myself, not leave it to someone who couldn't really give a toss whether or not we enjoy our Sunday lunch.

Soldato
I used to do it a lot a few years a go but I find myself generally buying less now so don't tend to bother. I tended to use Sainsburys and didn't have any issues with shelf-lifes and only rarely had issues with replacements.

Now I tend to do online shopping rarely and only if I need heavy/bulky things (I don't drive).

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I seem to get a 15-20% off voucher emailed to me every week from Ocado, provided I shop for delivery in the proceeding couple of days. Minimum spend is £40. If you get it delivered after 10pm it's sometimes free delivery as well, and I almost always get a call to ask if they can deliver an hour early. This week I also got a free bottle of wine for having been a customer for a year. :) Never had a problem with dates on anything either.

Soldato
We get most of our food delivered now, mainly as both of us hate going to the actual supermarket. It is handy though for most items, but there are still a few things like bread and fruit that I pick up myself.

Soldato
Never done it online yet. But if I did it wouldn't be for fresh stuff as a weeks worth of fresh food with only a day or two use-by date left is really no good.

Also I don't do the whole "big shop" thing. I prefer to just buy stuff when I want it. I don't shop at just one place either.

Back
Top Bottom