Anyone else busted their ACL

Don
Hi azza and all. Thanks for the concern. Had my op today currently at hospital leeching their wireless network! :p

I haven't spoke to the doc after the op so I don't know how it went. But I feel good. Eaten, drank, I have these weird shoes on which keep inflating to drive circulation around. Leg obviously is very swollen and I'm in a full leg brace. Spirits are up and feeling good about everything. Haven't walked or done exercises yet though. Go home tomorrow morning after physio and seeing the doc. Wasreally struggling in the past week so really hope I haven't done more damage to it but I think it's possible.

How's your knee now Azza??

Caporegime
My knee is great now. :) Got my last check up some time in August and then that should be the end of it.

Glad to hear it's all gone ok. How long are you in the leg brace for? Walking with crutches or non? Weight baring at all?

Don
Knee brace is only for a couple of days. I'm in agony with the knee though. Trying to sit on the toilet seat hurts. I was in agony for ages after that!!

Walking with crutches but can weight bare. Just taking it quite easy at the moment. Doing s few of the exercises and bending the knee. Got
quite good angle bendage with it. First
physio session next Thursday :).

Associate
Make sure you stay on top of your painkillers. Ice ice baby as well, a lot of the pain can come from the swelling so keep icing and keep the leg elevated. If you can prop it up with a pillow over night. If you do this put the pillow under ankle area and not behind the knee as you will probably want to get proper extension as soon as poss.

Don
Cheers one. Didn't get much sleep last night. Struggled with leg position, been icing lots and lots of pain killers :)

it's a long and lonesome road in discovering even though the gf is doing lots for me :). Thanks for the support guys :)

Don
Indeed it does :). Knees feeling better. Been doing some of the exercises. Wound is still bleeding s bit and still really swollen. Knee feels stable. I can stand on it but still using crutches :)

Don
Bit of an update for you all then;

It's a month today since the surgery. Knees still swollen a tad, but the scar has healed superbly. I have a good 3-4 inch scar down the front of my knee which is healing really well and is disappearing nicely.

No longer on crutches, I'm walking fine and negotiating stairs on my own and have been for around a week + now. Last Thursday I had my third physio session and did some bike work. Three minutes on a bike, barely registering the computer into thinking that it was moving and my knee was a wreck!! :D

Knees feeling ncie and stable, nearly have full bend and full extension is coming on nicely too. Just need to work on this bloody swelling! :)

Physio has given me squats to do and balance work, it's been a bad week in terms of doing my exercises, as I've slacked a bit, but we're gettign there.

I'll stick some pictures up next week if I remember (have the net installed in the new house - yey).

Associate
thats good news hilly.

i go in for my op next thursday, just in time for the world cup(not jumping for joy at all :).

i have physio the following friday with two sessions a week after that so hoping it all goes smoothly and back on the road to recovery.

alex

Don
Good luck tele.

Congrats Azza, big thing that.

Knee is ok, back at work par time, but sitting at this desk causes it to swell up lots, which is a right pain. Physios coming on nicely, I'll try and get some pictures up tonight if I remember as I finally have the net in the house... :D

Associate
cheers hilly, im currently enjoying the hospitals free net access on there touch screen pc's. the operation went well just gotta see the physio people in the morning and a final xray then im off home to recuperate(watch world cup whilst doing exercises that they want me to do)

alex

Don
How you getting on Tele (and the other ACLers?). I did post some piccies up in motors, I'll copy it over later perhaps! Knees ok at the moment. Still swollen though, sitting at my desk is causing it to swell up lots, which sucks. But I'm getting there.

just under 9 weeks post op now.

Associate
my recovery is going really well, got physio twice a week currently. was off crutches within 3 weeks and walking as normal as possible. 2 hour long physio session mon and thurs then doing the same exercises at least twice a day. was on the exercise bike within 3 weeks of the op started on 5 mins no resistance now up to 20mins(8km) slight resistance. swelling had gone after 2.5 weeks and quads are increasing in size. one thing has shocked me is the lack of painkillers i have needed. only took some when i woke up after the op. tip for other people who are going to have this done is do as much prep work as you can before with your physio and when you come out of the op get 3 pillows for you leg. put one either side of your operated leg and put your operated leg inside the third one and you wont be able to roll over so there fore get a good nights sleep

the most annoying thing is i cant drive or swim for another 2 weeks

alex

Associate
hilly and others: just wondered how people were getting on with their recovery? im 12.5 weeks post op and physio is going well.

I am allowed to start fitness training with my team again but still not allowed to play football until December. good news is i can join a gym.

Started doing deep squats with 10kg weights today. Nordic hamstring curls are so much fun first thing in the morning

alex

Don
Sorry for the slow updates! I don't manage to get onto the forum much these days.

I'm 20 weeks post op as of yesterday. I'm running, turning and kicking balls now. I took part in the warm down training session for my footy team last night. Felt good being able to pull a bib on and start picking the ball up and passing it about. 3 touch stuff, two keepers, 6 a-side. Missed it. Of coruse it's a one of though and something I'm not going to be doing lots of at this early stage. Really paying for it this morning though, as my knee is in pieces! It's not worked this much in 7 months haha.

I can turn ok now, physio has got me doing shuttles to start working my knee lots. Muscle mass is was equal after 3 months, which I was happy about. Still have a lot of strengthening to do till I'm fully healed. But feeling really good about this thus far.

Only thing I might need to get looked at in the future is the screw, although it's counter-sinked into my bone, I still get a tiny bit of pain around it, so might ask to have it out now the ACL graft should have no more use for it.

Although I'm pretty lazy with my exercises I'm a quick healer. One thing which did help me was getting my German Shepherd. She keeps me on toes and runs well on the leash :)

Back
Top Bottom