Anyone else busted their ACL

Associate
quick update. was signed off this morning by the physios, 20.5 weeks post op, started training at 16 weeks and started playing again at 18 weeks. hitting the gym helps lots. knee feels good and strong.

how is everybody else getting on

alex

Soldato
quick update. was signed off this morning by the physios, 20.5 weeks post op, started training at 16 weeks and started playing again at 18 weeks. hitting the gym helps lots. knee feels good and strong.

how is everybody else getting on

alex

Congratulations :)

DOyou squat/deadlift? have they been affected too much in terms of technique?

Reason I ask is because after my ACL surgery and muniscus repair in March, i am largely unable to get a proper squat technique without the aid of the smith machine. It's something that I obviouslly need to work on, but it's a nightmare!

Although leg training really does noticably make the leg feel a lot more strengthened

Deadlift is unaffected, infact broke my PR last week

Associate
Congratulations :)

DOyou squat/deadlift? have they been affected too much in terms of technique?

Reason I ask is because after my ACL surgery and muniscus repair in March, i am largely unable to get a proper squat technique without the aid of the smith machine. It's something that I obviouslly need to work on, but it's a nightmare!

Although leg training really does noticably make the leg feel a lot more strengthened

Deadlift is unaffected, infact broke my PR last week

Got a fairly good technique now for squats/single leg squats. can get very low almost touching my heels. only using 10kg on a bar for squats as trying to get my general fitness and diet sorted first. Also using the same bar for lunges. core work on the gym ball has helped no end

alex

Don
How's it going for you hilly?

Going ok, over 6 months post op now. I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to play football again, I'm an assistant manager at the moment and really enjoying it.

I'm taking part in the good majority of training sessions. Not doing too much on it though as it's still not fully right. Turning is ok, I'm reasonably mobile now.

My muscle mass is just under a cm from being back to normal. So i'm still working at getting that bad. I'm doing the hopping and skiiping exercises to build up the definition and my balance is better on my right (bad knee) than on my good knee. I think I could probably start paying again late Jan maybe, which is nearly 9 months :)

How's yours coming on Azza?

Caporegime
That's awesome, great work. :) I know what you mean about the balance, I started doing balance exercises on my good leg after a couple of months to make up for it! haha :D

Everything is good wit me, playing at least 1-2 hours of basketball every day now and running every day so basically back to normal. :)

Caporegime
Yeah I get what you mean, just keep it easy for now, even though it might feel right doing something normal at the moment it most probably isn't normal inside your knee.

Associate
OP
Good to see more positive outcomes :). 3 and a bit years since doing mine it's still as good as ever! It sure is a tough process but worth it in the end!

If anyone has any questions feel free to email me :)

Last edited:
Associate
It is a rubbish thing to do.

Snowboarding accident last year I pulled off my ACL along with the shattered remnants of the tibial spine and fractured the tibia at the point of where the spine was going down an inch or so.

Had knee surgery/arthroscopy last year and it seems it reattached it self in the right place but needed some bone shaving. So now I'm just working on it back down the gym and physio hoping the ACL is in good condition as they think. Hopefully be back racing bikes in a few months.

Tops breaking my back. That took 5-6 months before riding again

remarkable thing bodies

Associate
Hi everyone, I had an ACL reconstruction operation 3-4 weeks ago now (after tearing it play football) and have a few questions for those who have also had it done.

At the moment it's aching all the time when I'm in bed. Not sleeping that well at the moment (hence being up and on the laptop at nearly 4am!).

I'm not able to drive yet as I can't comfortably lift and put weight on my left knee (clutch pedal). How long was it before you were able to drive again? I love driving and it's so frustrating that I'm not able to at the moment!

I've decided to come off my painkillers now (Paracetermol and Tramadol) as I don't want to be dependent on them. When did your pain disappear, and do you still have some now (how long after operation)?

I'm off my crutches now and am regularly doing my exercises. I'm not able to lay my leg flat yet (without lots of pain) and am concentrating on walking properly (physio said heel down, roll on left side of foot then push off big toe).

Any advice and reassurance on my condition would be great.

Cheers.

Edward

Associate
i was driving after about 7/8 weeks i think. i think i was lucky in that i didnt have much pain, i only used ibruprofen to reduce the swelling, didnt use any of the co-codamol that they gave me.

do you still have swelling? if so are you using ice and heat on it?

how many times a week are you at physio and how many times are you exercising at home?

alex

Associate
Hi, yes, I do still have some swelling on my knee. I do have an ice pack which I use to reduce the swelling.

I don't have weekly physio. I saw the physio a few weeks ago and have an appointment to go back in a few weeks time. Im exercising at home 2-3 times a day.

I cant wait to get back to normal, start driving and get back on the footie pitch (next season).

Associate
ahh now when i had mine done i had two 1.5 hour group physio session plus exercise at home twice a day, seems like the nhs are cutting back on physio recently. sounds daft but try ice for 15 mins then a hot towel for 15 mins. this helped me out a lot

alex

Don
Hello all! Been a while since I posted in here last!

Edward, things get easier mate. It is around 6-8 weeks before you can drive again.

How you feeling now telewebby?

Sunday football has started again, and I've played all the games so far this season. Knee is feeling great. It's a massive trek to get back to fitness, but things are going well. Scored the winner two weeks ago \o/

Notice the knee when it's cold as expected, but other than that it feels normal. Never did regain the feeling down the outer side of my knee though! It's a cool little party trick to have though! :D

hope everyones recoverys are going well.

Back
Top Bottom