Anyone else just bimble along through life?

Soldato
You say guitar feels like a chore; when you still used to take it more seriously did you ever try to get involved playing music with anyone else? Learning an instrument just for the sake of it can feel a bit like a chore but applying yourself to be able to jam and express yourself with it is where it really opens up (and it's absolutely not a case of "being good enough" either, just having the right approach/attitude - I dunno when you stopped but with the amount of good content to learn from these days there's never been a better time to get into it)

No it was just for my own entertainment really, I'm not creative enough to make it interesting and just ended up playing the same stuff all the time which is why it got kind of boring, that and knowing that to get better would mean practicing every day and a lot of days I really didn't want to hence it started to feel like a job.

I've got a weekend of full-bore excitement lined up anyway so lots of you will be really pleased I've made the step.

Fully agree with uncle_rufus here. I've been playing bass for years, mainly playing alone, a bit of band stuff here and there. About a year ago I thought, **** it I need to get out and do something with this, so I found and joined a band. You don't have to be creative, but it's also one of those things that generates more creativity by your participation.

Soldato
It can do, it can also drive you nuts as you constantly try to improve or find flaws in your work that no-one else notices. Remember a lot of artists aren't happy souls :p

It does have satisfying moments though, just have to fight through the self doubt.

You are stressing my point, I'm not talking about trying to be the best in your field, I'm just talking about being in the field and not just an onlooker.

Associate
yep, decent job but have the potential to go a lot further but, I enjoy the ease of my current post and the locale.

work life balance is a huge thing for me and 1-2 hour commutes daily and jobs u take home seem like something that impacts enjoying life too much.

I work, play golf, game and go to the gym daily, im happy with that

Soldato
This echos the guy who had 50+ pages of help trying to encourage him to earn £55k per year but ignored it all because he couldn't be bothered either.

Why should WE be bothered helping you?

Soldato
OP
This echos the guy who had 50+ pages of help trying to encourage him to earn £55k per year but ignored it all because he couldn't be bothered either.

Why should WE be bothered helping you?

Maybe because I didn't ask for help, people just started volunteering it of their own volition!

Associate
Ultimately, any standard for the 'correct' way to live life is probably going to be quite arbitrary. I'm financially stable, in decent shape and have a few hobbies which I pick up when I can be bothered. I used to push myself to get better at stuff but ultimately I just found it frustrating, as for most people there will always be someone better than you at anything (I get that just improving is enough for a lot of people, but I'm not like that). So yeah, you could say I do my share of 'bimbling'. :D

Soldato
OP
Ultimately, any standard for the 'correct' way to live life is probably going to be quite arbitrary. I'm financially stable, in decent shape and have a few hobbies which I pick up when I can be bothered. I used to push myself to get better at stuff but ultimately I just found it frustrating, as for most people there will always be someone better than you at anything (I get that just improving is enough for a lot of people, but I'm not like that). So yeah, you could say I do my share of 'bimbling'. :D

That is one reason I give a lot of things up, I hate being mediocre at anything and to be truly very good at things takes thousands of hours, I can't just do things for a laugh it seems.

Associate
That is one reason I give a lot of things up, I hate being mediocre at anything and to be truly very good at things takes thousands of hours, I can't just do things for a laugh it seems.

I've learnt to do things just for the sake of it to an extent. I've accepted that I'll probably never change the world in any way, so I guess now I just do stuff to amuse myself while I wait to find out what happens when you die.

I think the point I'm trying to work towards is that no one really knows what the point of life is, so if you're happy doing very little then fair play. Other people will have their opinions on what you should be doing, but that will be based on the subjective and somewhat arbitrary standard that they apply to their own life.

Soldato
I've learnt to do things just for the sake of it to an extent. I've accepted that I'll probably never change the world in any way, so I guess now I just do stuff to amuse myself while I wait to find out what happens when you die.

I think the point I'm trying to work towards is that no one really knows what the point of life is, so if you're happy doing very little then fair play. Other people will have their opinions on what you should be doing, but that will be based on the subjective and somewhat arbitrary standard that they apply to their own life.

I call it the long end game. I enjoy my hobbies but i know my life is probably as good as it gets unless i win the lottery.

Soldato
OP
How do you get good at anything then? You have to start somewhere. Jesus this thread screams whiny millennial. And I hate saying that.

I get good at my job because I have to spend 60-70 hours a week doing it, it's not a choice. I'm sure if I were forced to play the guitar/anything for the same amount of time I'd be good at that, but I wouldn't choose to.

Way too old to be a millennial, sorry to disappoint.

Caporegime
I get good at my job because I have to spend 60-70 hours a week doing it

That’s not exactly how it works, there are plenty of people who work long hours but aren’t good at their role.

Likewise, you could put that time into an instrument and still be awful at it, musical talent is a bit more complicated than just putting the hours in.

If you’re doing those hours most weeks and it’s physical labour I’m not surprised you have no energy to do anything else, your job is holding you back and gives you an awful work/life balance.

Soldato
Likewise, you could put that time into an instrument and still be awful at it, musical talent is a bit more complicated than just putting the hours in.

and equally you can get "good" enough at an instrument to get a lot of satisfaction out of creating music without putting in a huge amount of time. Heck some big artists gets by with very little actual musical chops

Back
Top Bottom