• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone else just unenthused about gaming and hardware?

Soldato
Currently gaming monitor pricing for a 27" 1440p G-sync is just ridiculous.

Current monitor pricing makes GPU prices look sane.

Without doubt, the most unjustifiably overpriced components in the PC sphere.

...and at least with GPU's you know there isn't an 'acceptable' level of build quality from the manufacturers. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Just because another person can't afford the items that I choose to buy, it doesn't equate to me being gullible.

+1

I hate reading things like that.

That's kind of an elitist statement. How do you know he can't afford to buy it?

Your argument is, I can afford to buy it therefore I am not gullible. You can be the richest person in the world and can afford to buy everything, that doesn't change the fact that if something is a stupid purchase it's a stupid purchase.

Caporegime
That's kind of an elitist statement. How do you know he can't afford to buy it?

Your argument is, I can afford to buy it therefore I am not gullible. You can be the richest person in the world and can afford to buy everything, that doesn't change the fact that if something is a stupid purchase it's a stupid purchase.

+1

Permabanned
My most expensive individual purchase is still an 8800 GTX from 10 ish years ago, £350 iirc!

Its no different these days, if you want to play top end you pay for top end. While there may be a small element of overpricing there are many factors that have increased the cost of things.

Soldato
AMD are MIA and nvidia make great hardware but I hate literally everything else about them. Just don't want to support a nasty co. Like nvidia but there is no choice - they're like the evil mean kid in school but theyre rich so they can do what they want.

Consoles are getting better and they might be the best option soon.

Soldato

If Gibbo posted a 24hr price drop right now, selling a 1080ti for £400, most folk around these forums would call it a bargain. However, try telling anyone who isn't into PC gaming (regardless of that person's salary), that you're paying £400 for a circuit board that plugs into your computer, and see what their response is.

Questioning a person's intelligence based on their shopping habits is... ironic.

Soldato
Their's a few of the guys who've put more than 2000 hours in :eek:

Well fair play to you for having the spare time to do it I guess.

My favourite series of recent years has been the Fallout series, even then I don't think I have more than 150 hours into my most played version (New Vegas) and sadly I have probably less than 20 in FO4, just no time for it any more.

Soldato
A classic example of this argument is the Asus STRIX cards. People balk at their 20% markup over competing cards, but others feel that their build quality is worth the extra. People readily call others stupid for buying them, however, if you can afford them, it's hard to deny that the functions and build quality aren't great and worth a little more.

Associate
Been on this forum and watching tech for some time now. And don't think I've ever been this "unenthused" about the state of things. What with Nvidia being so pricey at launch. Vega being nowhere, and when it does come potentially not even that great. Power hungry, no cards available and all grossly overpriced due to mining craze. Ram shortages and prices.

I'm just really not excited at the moment.
Honestly if it wasn't for Ryzen making the CPU space exciting again at least then I really don't know if I would still bother. It's really not the pricing specifically. But I need to be excited by new tech. And at the moment I'm just not feeling it. There is nothing game changing. Nothing "wow".

I dunno, just ranting but it really seems as if the GPU space is just a total mess right now. Not sure what the future holds for it.
We are all fairly loyal PC folk here but I can't help but think that more casual folk are switching to console rather than enter or stay in this very murky and expensive swamp.
I use laptops myself and I've found these full gpu's in laptops quite interesting but overall I'd have to agree. Tech feels like it's getting good feature wise (stuff like freesync / gsync, high res monitors etc.) but there's so many things that feel like it should have been a big leap forward like the constant die shrinks and new architectures not being overly impressive (ryzen aside).

Part of the problem is 4k is pricing, where you'd expect things like 4k and new gpu's etc. to get closer to making PC gaming take that next step to mainstream support of that sort of tech the VR scene, 4k scene and even new gpu's are all over priced so even as they slowly get more affordable it still feels a long way off before most will be able to enjoy this sort of stuff. There's been a lot of flops too like DX12 which felt like a let down compared to the hype and Nvidia isn't doing anything exciting either. For me I just want AMD to compete but even when they do it's more likely to just get the e-peen war going and have the Nvidia fans act like Apple fans who just claim that side is better anyway or buy it for the sake of the brand. I think if AMD smashed the bricks off Nvidia like they did Intel then we'd not see any huge shift in market share unless they outpaced them by a huge margin which is unlikely right now so the rest is down to the Nvidia hype train drowning down the noise of any close competition (similar to how in the phone market most people will just buy samsung / iphone regardless of competition).

A classic example of this argument is the Asus STRIX cards. People balk at their 20% markup over competing cards, but others feel that their build quality is worth the extra. People readily call others stupid for buying them, however, if you can afford them, it's hard to deny that the functions and build quality aren't great and worth a little more.
Then that would be a case of having a bad example and not proof to the contrary. It shows that having some benefit can be worth the extra for some people but a good example to prove the point of stupidity with spending would be buy a worse card for more money, you can do it but why? By that logic it is easy to come to the conclusion that bad purchasing habits (key word there) can exist and so we can extend this to a habit of buying overpriced cards or otherwise minimal upgrades etc. If people have the money it is definitely their choice but there's no need for denial or a crisis of conscience reaction like we see on here often with people acting like there's no such thing as a bad choice, just accept some purchases can be illogical or not smart but that doesn't mean the judgement needs to make people sweat or worry about it as it's a rather flimsy argument since it's very situational and people make their own judgements. Still, crap purchasing choices can exist. I bought a very expensive asus laptop and didn't really make use of the 980m in it, nowadays the cost of a 1080m is nearly £1000 more in comparison (£1580 my laptop, gtx 1080 cost way more) so I won't be touching the highest end again. I've learned to reassess my needs based on my usage and the increasing costs and I will be fine with a 1060 6gb for around £1300, if people can afford a 1080 it is their choice but equally it's never a truly smart choice based on the reality of the pricing but smartness factors less into the equation the more people have expendable income anyway since then it's more just about lack of restraint or charity :p

Soldato
If Gibbo posted a 24hr price drop right now, selling a 1080ti for £400, most folk around these forums would call it a bargain. However, try telling anyone who isn't into PC gaming (regardless of that person's salary), that you're paying £400 for a circuit board that plugs into your computer, and see what their response is.

Questioning a person's intelligence based on their shopping habits is... ironic.

It's a stupid argument you are making. But I will go with it. What if one of those people decide to get one of those 1080ti because people are saying that's a great price for the best GPU and brings it home with him. But, his computer only has an old core 2 duo cpu and his screen is an old 14 inch monitor with 1024*768 resolution. That would be a pretty stupid purchase.

What if a person decided to build a computer purely for gaming and bought the Vega FE edition instead of the 1080ti. Wouldn't that be stupid choice?

Nobody was questioning your intelligence, not in the post you quoted at least. You can be very intelligent, but still be gullible. Intelligent people do tend to be better at rationalising their poor purchasing decisions.

EDIT: I should add this before you get all upset, I am not calling you gullible. But, we have all been fooled by marketing, all convinced ourselves that a certain purchase is going to be a great purchase. Anybody who says that they never have is lying.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a stupid argument you are making. But I will go with it. What if one of those people decide to get one of those 1080ti because people are saying that's a great price for the best GPU and brings it home with him. But, his computer only has an old core 2 duo cpu and his screen is an old 14 inch monitor with 1024*768 resolution. That would be a pretty stupid purchase.

What if a person decided to build a computer purely for gaming and bought the Vega FE edition instead of the 1080ti. Wouldn't that be stupid choice?

Nobody was questioning your intelligence, not in the post you quoted at least. You can be very intelligent, but still be gullible. Intelligent people do tend to be better at rationalising their poor purchasing decisions.

EDIT: I should add this before you get all upset, I am not calling you gullible. But, we have all been fooled by marketing, all convinced ourselves that a certain purchase is going to be a great purchase. Anybody who says that they never have is lying.

You start off with that sentence, and then soldier on with the rest. :p Honestly, I'm not upset in the slightest, and I have no inclination to pick your ridiculous post apart.

My next GPU purchase will likely be the new Titan. Because I want to, and because I can. You can label me any way you like, I honestly couldn't care less.

V F

V F

Soldato
You start off with that sentence, and then soldier on with the rest. :p Honestly, I'm not upset in the slightest, and I have no inclination to pick your ridiculous post apart.

My next GPU purchase will likely be the new Titan. Because I want to, and because I can. You can label me any way you like, I honestly couldn't care less.

Caporegime

Titan pricing is absolutely fine. If you want the absolute best card and you want to pay any price for it, then you're well served by the Titan.

The trouble isn't halo card pricing. The problem is that *all* cards have shot up at least one price point, maybe three, in a few short years.

It used to be that the 2nd-best card was £250-300. Now the 2nd-best card is £700. The 3rd and 4th best cards are £500 and £400. The 5th best card is £300.

And that's pre-mining prices, because the current situation is LOL pants-on-head silly.

I don't think the PC market can sustain this pricing long term. Eventually people will get fed up with it.

Soldato

LOL whatever dude. Talk about defensive!! If you didn't care so much why bother posting in the first place with your "I can afford it therefore I am not gullible" crap. You rock on and buy whatever you want because you can.

V F

V F

Soldato
Titan pricing is absolutely fine. If you want the absolute best card and you want to pay any price for it, then you're well served by the Titan.

The trouble isn't halo card pricing. The problem is that *all* cards have shot up at least one price point, maybe three, in a few short years.

It used to be that the 2nd-best card was £250-300. Now the 2nd-best card is £700. The 3rd and 4th best cards are £500 and £400. The 5th best card is £300.

And that's pre-mining prices, because the current situation is LOL pants-on-head silly.

I don't think the PC market can sustain this pricing long term. Eventually people will get fed up with it.

I've heard this before. Even for the housing market and that hasn't changed.

Caporegime
LOL whatever dude. Talk about defensive!! If you didn't care so much why bother posting in the first place with your "I can afford it therefore I am not gullible" crap. You rock on and buy whatever you want because you can.
He posts fair and just statements. You perceive it as rude but what he pulled up was rude and I didn't see you backing String up. Do I need to say more????

Back
Top Bottom