• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone else just unenthused about gaming and hardware?

Caporegime
I've heard this before. Even for the housing market and that hasn't changed.
But you'll know that home ownership is falling to historic post-war lows.

If prices for PC components remain this high (or go higher), the same will happen. People will move to consoles.

Of course that doesn't apply to people who were buying Titans in the first place ;)

Associate
Titan pricing is absolutely fine. If you want the absolute best card and you want to pay any price for it, then you're well served by the Titan.

The trouble isn't halo card pricing. The problem is that *all* cards have shot up at least one price point, maybe three, in a few short years.

It used to be that the 2nd-best card was £250-300. Now the 2nd-best card is £700. The 3rd and 4th best cards are £500 and £400. The 5th best card is £300.

And that's pre-mining prices, because the current situation is LOL pants-on-head silly.

I don't think the PC market can sustain this pricing long term. Eventually people will get fed up with it.
This is by far the most sensible post I have read on this thread. Wether or not a person can afford it or not doesn't make the current pricing structure right.

Associate
This is by far the most sensible post I have read on this thread. Wether or not a person can afford it or not doesn't make the current pricing structure right.

Agree, my twin forzer 970 at £290 was my best ever purchase.

prices now days are just dumb especially monitor prices jesus christ, then the GPU power needed to run them.

you're looking at nearly £1000 to run 4k reasonably with just those 2 items alone.

Associate
I sold my 290X recently and just stuck a Quadro NVS 295 into my machine to tide me over until Vega. That was the plan anyway.

I bought an Xbox One to play games and got quite a few cheap games for it too. I am really enjoying it to be honest. I am now thinking I will just put my money towards an PS4 Pro and pick up a cheap 480/580 when the miners are trying to offload thousands on eBay.

Best of both worlds and I don't have to pay a ridiculous amount of money for a GPU that you just know is going to be expensive and also power hungry.

Soldato

To be honest some rely on the price of GPUs being so high. They want to spend an absolute fortune beyond what others are prepared to pay. It allows maximum attention seeking and they feel it is a way to maintain elevated social status/acceptance within an Internet forum of other enthusiasts. Whether any good games exist is irrelevant.

Sad but true.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well it's all just a corporate racket to empty your pockets, just when you get on top of the performance/price ratio they release another new resolution that requires more horsepower, so the whole vicious circle just starts again.

Lots of people would be well served just sticking with a quality 1080p set up that can be had fairly cheaply, but instead they simply must have a super wide/4k rig and the stuff required to run it.

Instead of jumping on the bandwagon at every release why don't you hold onto your stuff for a few years and get some VFM out of it? Today's attitude of I must have the latest and greatest and I must have it NOW is ridiculous, and surely it's this that cannot continue.

Whilst ever folks are only too willing to throw hard earned money at these scumbags every 3-6 months then they'll keep on doing it, they don't need to develop/release big step changes in performance because they know there'll be a queue of mugs dumping all their 6 month old gear for the new stuff.

Not completely unenthused about gaming. Fallout 4 modded and the witcher 3 (I am behind in my single player games) are awesome. Bf1 is a worry as it is moving away from what bf should/could be but still a fun game if a few friends are on.

GPU costs - well sorry but nvidia did a number on us all. I have for years said, and nothing has changed, nvidia introduced the titan card to market and increase the prices of their full range. The stupidly priced titan is there to make the ti Look reasonable, it isn't it's still overpriced as it the following 1080, 1070 etc. It's a great marketing job but terrible for PC gaming.

If you personally can afford it or it doesn't bother you that isn't the issue. GPU prices are no different to what intel did with their pricing when there was no competition. We do pay to much.

Honestly the Xbox one x with a better cpu (and PC like keyboard and mouse support) would have been a serious option for me and I have been a PC gamer for 20 plus years.

Caporegime
I just got a 1060 3gb and tbh it plays PUBG incredibly smoothly even on high.

The only people who should be spending £300+ on a gpu are those playing @ 4K.

@ 1080p a G4560 (£60 CPU) and 1060 (£200 gpu) is all you need.

Soldato
Instead of jumping on the bandwagon at every release why don't you hold onto your stuff for a few years and get some VFM out of it?

Very true, It's also part of the reason why I've stuck with my two 970's for three years, I spent £650 on them, which TBH made me cringe at the time but when the time comes to replace them, I can absolutely say I've had my moneys worth out of them.

...Just been playing Titanfall 2 on them @1440p, max settings (except AA), at a flawless 60fps...that's damn good value for 3yr old cards! and convinces me that it really won't be worth upgrading until Volta arrives in 2018.

Soldato
To be honest some rely on the price of GPUs being so high. They want to spend an absolute fortune beyond what others are prepared to pay. It allows maximum attention seeking and they feel it is a way to maintain elevated social status/acceptance within an Internet forum of other enthusiasts. Whether any good games exist is irrelevant.

Sad but true.

Whilst this is a factor with a lot of people, there are many like myself who just want the best or as close to the best as they can justify personally.

My signature refers to the greatest football team that ever graced the turf, and has nothing to do with GPU Epeen. In fact, my signature used to read "Black dug, blacker than your black dug" ... and the Scots among us will know exactly what that means. ;)

Soldato
Is the GTX 1080ti overpriced?

I look at the 1080 prices and I think they're overpriced but correct me if I'm wrong but as the only viable entry point into single card 4k gaming, the 1080ti, especially founder editions sub £700 seem fairly decent value... no?

V F

V F

Soldato
Well it's all just a corporate racket to empty your pockets, just when you get on top of the performance/price ratio they release another new resolution that requires more horsepower, so the whole vicious circle just starts again.

Lots of people would be well served just sticking with a quality 1080p set up that can be had fairly cheaply, but instead they simply must have a super wide/4k rig and the stuff required to run it.

Instead of jumping on the bandwagon at every release why don't you hold onto your stuff for a few years and get some VFM out of it? Today's attitude of I must have the latest and greatest and I must have it NOW is ridiculous, and surely it's this that cannot continue.

Whilst ever folks are only too willing to throw hard earned money at these scumbags every 3-6 months then they'll keep on doing it, they don't need to develop/release big step changes in performance because they know there'll be a queue of mugs dumping all their 6 month old gear for the new stuff.

I think my next display (currently Dell 2405FPW) wont be 4k but rather a 1080p 144hz for Quake Champions. I'd rather prefer lower resolution with great low input delay at the same time locked high fps.

Caporegime
My GPU (GTX 1070) will see me right for a couple of years at least, the GPU space is boring and incredibly pricy.

The CPU space, thats different right now, AMD are handing Intel their ass and its fun to watch, Threadripper is about to land and kick Intel while they are down.

Its not that i hate Intel, its just that they have been so dominant for the past 5 years they have become complacent and arrogant, not to mention fobbing us off with incremental upgrades for price hikes endlessly on 4 core mainstream processors.
What the CPU market need is for Intel to get a good kicking, right now they are being kicked all round the room like a foootball and its awesome.

Soldato
He posts fair and just statements. You perceive it as rude but what he pulled up was rude and I didn't see you backing String up. Do I need to say more????

:D:D:D I didn't say it was rude, I said it was elitist. Can't you read? And He did get defensive because nowhere in my post do I say anything about his purchasing choices.

And what exactly was rude with this statement from Sastusbulbas?

Lol. But your not paying a premium for performance, your paying a huge premium because market trends are dictated by profit and gullibility.

I can' see anything rude in that. He is right and I have seen you say several times that Nvidia can charge what they like because AMD aren't competing. Isn't that marketing? And their are people who are buying GPU's based on that marketing but are buying cards way more powerful than they have need or use for. Isn't that been gullible? And because people are paying these prices there is no need for Nvidia to lower the prices and we are back to marketing again.

Need I say more?

V F

V F

Soldato
My GPU (GTX 1070) will see me right for a couple of years at least, the GPU space is boring and incredibly pricy.

The CPU space, thats different right now, AMD are handing Intel their ass and its fun to watch, Threadripper is about to land and kick Intel while they are down.

Its not that i hate Intel, its just that they have been so dominant for the past 5 years they have become complacent and arrogant, not to mention fobbing us off with incremental upgrades for price hikes endlessly on 4 core mainstream processors.
What the CPU market need is for Intel to get a good kicking, right now they are being kicked all round the room like a foootball and its awesome.

I thought it was 7... Sandy Bridge was 2010?

Back
Top Bottom