Anyone had an SSD die?

Associate
I've used around a dozen for my own and family builds with none having died as yet. My two original SSDs, both Intel X-25Ms, are still going strong in family machines over 8 years after purchase. Despite that I still know one person who refuses to have an SSD until "they're proven reliable" :rolleyes:

Soldato
I've had 10 SSD's since 2008, everything from Kingston Values to a Samsung Pro. I've lost data on 5 occasions, at least 2 of the SSD's are dead. One of the ones that lost data was a Crucial MX 100 512GB, I can't link the site however there is a US website with plenty of people reporting failure of MX 100's.

Currently I've lost a little faith in SSD's, and for my workstation i'm actually using Western Digital Gold HDD's as trust these more then anything else. Still using a SSD on my laptop and HTPC however, plus some Samsung 830's still running on a couple of servers.

Associate
I've had quite a few die in this way (Going read-only and then bricked upon reboot), though mainly through abuse since they were cache drives for a large HDD array. My own fault for putting so much traffic on one piece of flash. Since then I've upgraded to an enterprise PCI-e add-in card and it's been smooth sailing from there... so far :p

Soldato
Only one I've had fail was an OCZ Vertex 4, which was promptly replaced by a more modern drive and I then sold it on .

Got six currently running in my main PC (including a Vertex 2 and another Vertex 4) and two NVME drives (one an SM951) and they are all fine.

Just life. Any component can fail. Though I suppose some are more reliable then others. The Vertex 3's had a very bad reputation, hence why I missed them out. Though once again, I'm sure some are still running fine for folks.

Transmission breaker
Don
I have had 3 of the 6 I have owned fail.
I just this evening put a 1tb drive in an oven, and it has brought it back enough to allow me to scan it in EaseUS data recovery. The drive would not actually appear before I did this.
Whilst this is currently running, I just cooked an OCZ drive that died in a similar fashion, and will plug that in later after this one has had the data recovered.

I am using 1 ssd as a boot drive, and two spinning disks for storage as a result of my "luck".

Soldato
Haven't had any die yet, although my Vertex 2E from 2009 had a failure where I lost most data a few years ago, and now it is relegated to Battle net games drive. I am looking at buying a new one actually, probably Samsung or Crucial, still unsure if I want an M2 or a 2.5" one.

In my work one of our customers is using SSD only, and the application I work on is very I/O data intensive, a few years ago we actively discouraged SSDs, as they used to die within weeks, but now they are as good as a enterprise class HDD so we are ok with them.

Associate
I'm in the process of returning a 15 month old Crucial MX300 500gb. No life whatsoever, different leads, ports, everything. This was my my Steam drive so luckily there's nothing of real value on it. No idea what's caused it to pack up as I've not been gaming much recently.

Transmission breaker
Don
I'm in the process of returning a 15 month old Crucial MX300 500gb. No life whatsoever, different leads, ports, everything. This was my my Steam drive so luckily there's nothing of real value on it. No idea what's caused it to pack up as I've not been gaming much recently.

The first one i brought back to life from totally dead in the oven was an MX200 1tb.

Soldato
I've not had one die but a Crucial M4 128GB was causing my laptop to freeze so no longer used. A lot of my SSD's are old, I still run a couple of OCZ Agility 3's and a family member has my old OCZ Vertex 2! I have a cheapy SanDisk SSD in my server which has about 8 VM's running off it, not sure how long that will last but it's doing the job so far.

Permabanned
Nope, they're all relatively new though. I did have an old first gen Samsung 120GB drive but I haven't seen it for years, it's in a box a draw somewhere, probably won't find it again until I move. :D

Man of Honour
I've not had one die but a Crucial M4 128GB was causing my laptop to freeze so no longer used. A lot of my SSD's are old, I still run a couple of OCZ Agility 3's and a family member has my old OCZ Vertex 2! I have a cheapy SanDisk SSD in my server which has about 8 VM's running off it, not sure how long that will last but it's doing the job so far.

That SSD had a firmware issue where after being used for x number of hours the drive would dissapear, crucial rolled out a fix: https://hothardware.com/news/crucial-rolls-out-firmware-update-to-fix-funky-m4-ssd-issue

Was a well known and documented issue on all m4 drives.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom