Anyone have a Hot Tub?

Associate
Been out today and started the insulation on ours, I will let you know how we get on later,,,,,,,

I am hoping it will bring our costs down, if not it be getting turned off,,,,,,

If someone had told us it be £30.00 per week to run we may have not bothered,,,,

Cheers for all the advise...

Soldato
Bit silly to not do some research on possible electricity costs isn't it?

£120 a month does seem a bit excessive, you should be around half that.

Maybe the tub is drawing excessive power??

Associate
Yes we were told it would be £30.00 per month, NOT £30.00 per week.
Only ours it seems is running at a much higher usage.
We did do our homework, and have the same tub as a friend and theirs is less than £25.00 per month.
I guess you don't know hot it could be drawing excessive power do you? we are stuck with that question.

We only have one of the cheapier lay type, but the pumps use a fair wack. I think they were about 300w from memory. Although less when just circulating water as opposed to air as well I would guess.
This time of year they may be running all the time anyway, the issue is if temp drops too low they can freeze if not circulating.

If you have it plugged in via a socket then you could get a plug in meter as well, so you can monitor it better.

Heat differential (ie outside vs water) will be a significant difference this time of year. With a meter you can accurately see how much its using and in effect work out the base load, ie what its constantly using if you have pumps etc on, vs when its actively heating.
Even with the blow ups you can add some extra insulation.

This is our second and we had planned a proper installed job, but got a really cheap offer on another blow up so decided to go with that again, and worry about an installed in a few years.

Soldato
We are in the North.
We are using it 6 days a week for 30 mins, two persons.
26kwh per day for the tub alone.
We will try the insulation and see if it better.
We wondered if something was broken.
I only have a blow up spa
But when I was using it I only heated it when electric was on the cheap rate by using a timer..

Caporegime
I have a proper hot tub not an inflatable one so millage may vary, however most heat is lost through the top, so a quality floating pool cover and the best insulated top cover you can buy.

I use mine a couple of times a week for probably an hour a go and it is kept at 38 deg C all the time, filter cycle of twice a day, costs nowhere near £30 a week.

Associate
"""UPDATE"""

Sorted it, two days of adding insulation and attaching an electric meter directly onto hot tub,,,

Average bills now looking about £32.00 per month,,,,well worth the few quid the insulation,,,,,and my time,

Plus in summer it will be less.

This is it sitting at a constant heat of 38.5, ready to use,,,,,,,happy with these results,,,,,,,cheers for the insulation advise,,,,

FNG

FNG

Associate
Another energy saving tip is to use less commas in your text, each one costs at least a few pence to generate.

Man of Honour
We've had a Lazy-Spa for 4 years now and have been wondering the same thing. I'd think I'd feel more comfortable with if I had power running off a solar panel installation if I had it on all year round. I actually quite like the idea of putting it away in the Autumn and having something to look forward to.

I've just prepared our decking area ready for the summer but for some reason, I don't feel it's the right thing to do right now..

Soldato
Filling ours right now.
Will be the 3rd year for it and it's still going strong for an inflatable. Seeing as it gets a lot of use, I might go for a fixed installation next year.

Soldato
Filling ours right now.
Will be the 3rd year for it and it's still going strong for an inflatable. Seeing as it gets a lot of use, I might go for a fixed installation next year.
My inflatable one just finished filling up about 10 minute before you posted (8.20pm)
It now heating up on cheap rate electric to be ready for tomorrow :):):)

Mine will also be it 3rd year for it

Associate
I have a proper hot tub not an inflatable one so millage may vary, however most heat is lost through the top, so a quality floating pool cover and the best insulated top cover you can buy.

I use mine a couple of times a week for probably an hour a go and it is kept at 38 deg C all the time, filter cycle of twice a day, costs nowhere near £30 a week.

What do you mean by 'filter cycle of twice a day'?

"""UPDATE"""

Sorted it, two days of adding insulation and attaching an electric meter directly onto hot tub,,,

Average bills now looking about £32.00 per month,,,,well worth the few quid the insulation,,,,,and my time,

Plus in summer it will be less.

This is it sitting at a constant heat of 38.5, ready to use,,,,,,,happy with these results,,,,,,,cheers for the insulation advise,,,,

How did you add an electric meter? Ours has a thick black cable running directly into it (think its 3 phase armoured cable).

Caporegime
What do you mean by 'filter cycle of twice a day'?

When not in use and on a schedule the tub will fire up for a user set period, run the pumps and filter the water in the tub to keep things clean.

Mine uses a Balboa control system, filter schedules and duration are variable, but i've stuck to twice a day and water quality has been great.

Soldato
Canadian spa here with Balboa electrics. We love it, used 3 times a week on average. Twice a day filtration plus heat. Used this isolation to build a bar next to it too

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
We got a hot tub from Hotspring World end of Feb this year. So far it’s been fantastic. We decided to spend more on a well established brand with solid support network to back it up. The Aria model we have is very efficient and well insulated. It has low power silent flow pump that runs when we aren’t using it, which helps keep it clean. The freshwater salt system also produces chlorine from the salt on the water.

Hot Spring Aria Highlife.

DSCF8264.jpg

DSCF8265.jpg

DSCF8266.jpg

DSCF8267.jpg

DSCF8268.jpg

Back
Top Bottom