Anyone have a Hot Tub?

Soldato
But unless it's heated, with the UK climate you can only really use a swimming pool for a few days a year, whereas a hot tub you can use even if it's below 0 and snowing

We used to have a proper 6' deep, 20' long and 10' wide pool at my grandmothers old house (quick look at Google maps suggests they've built over it) and it was amazing. We'd set it up from about May/June and probably empty it late September early October. Took a good few days to fill up. Once my Grandmother was out of the country for a month or so and we kept/forgot the heating on it for a few days and it was so warm, was like a lukewarm bath! Loved going for late night swims with the lights on.

But for the rest of the year it was pretty unusable! Was a lot of hard work getting it ready though, draining it, cleaning the tiles, clearing out all the frogs/toads who decided to lay spawn in there

Associate
Yes we were told it would be £30.00 per month, NOT £30.00 per week.
Only ours it seems is running at a much higher usage.
We did do our homework, and have the same tub as a friend and theirs is less than £25.00 per month.
I guess you don't know hot it could be drawing excessive power do you? we are stuck with that question.

How did you add an electric meter? Ours has a thick black cable running directly into it (think its 3 phase armoured cable).

Soldato
Sorry to hijack the thread but I am just wondering... if the hot tub is only to be used once in several months, theres no point runnint it constantly?

We currently buying a house and owners are leaving a hot tub, which they often use and run it 24/7.
But we wont probably use it at all untill summer or use it very rarely.

Thanks
Why don’t you tell them to take it if you aren’t interested in it?

Soldato
I've never quite got hot tubs, are they just a sex thing? Otherwise what's the difference between using one of these and just sitting in a chair with a jumper on?

Soldato
I've never quite got hot tubs, are they just a sex thing? Otherwise what's the difference between using one of these and just sitting in a chair with a jumper on?
I was going to say if you buy used never shine a UV light on it:D. Sex in a hot tub is the first thing that spring to my mind though:p.

Soldato
I was going to say if you buy used never shine a UV light on it:D. Sex in a hot tub is the first thing that spring to my mind though:p.

:D

The cleaning / refill is just not worth it. That and the neighbours refuse to pay to watch.

A nice day (such as today) is great for sitting in and drinking a beer though. Working from home has its advantages.

Soldato
Like I said very very very few domestic properties have 3 phase in the U.K. and adding it costs thousands, if it’s even possible. Typically every 3rd house is attached to a phase. If you want 3 phase it normally means a dedicated line has to be ran to the property, hence the cost and why no one does it.

People above are saying they cost £30 a month to run. At 13p/kWh that’s only 230kwh a month and under 350w average load. Sure while the pumps are running and the top is off it’s going to use more but not enough to require 3 phase.

They should be very heavily insulated so keeping them at temp doesn’t take that much energy.

Permabanned
I would have thought that the real spa's would have to be 3 phase due to the amount of power draw when the water heater & powerful water jets are on at the same time..

Domestic properties can have multiple 10kW electric showers so no idea why you think 3-phase would be necessary for a hot tub.

Associate
We have a 'Canadian Spa' portable spa which has foam side panels. When we had the blow up lid it would cost £15 a week to heat, I got a proper hard top for it and the cost has reduced to £15 a month so quite a saving. Insulation is key with these things.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Anyone here got a Sundance or Jacuzzi brand hot tub?

Had a look at a Sundance range yesterday at local garden centre and really tempted by an 880 Cameo was incredible and very nice quality.

Tomorrow going to look at Jacuzzi 300 and 400 series to see how they compare.

Wondering if anyone here is running one of the more premium models as Sundance REP suggested the chemicals bromine is tablet form and quite easy and recommended to drain after a month use but then said it should be fine for six month refills as long as chemicals kept on top of, how true is this with the higher end hot tubs?

Any other brands to consider that are high quality and have all the bells and whistles as to speak?

The Sundance came with all the options included, extra foam, cover, speakers, wifi, installation etc.

Back
Top Bottom