Anyone have a Hot Tub?

Soldato
The decent hot tubs are so well insulated they don't lose much heat meaning the heater runs less.
My Inflatable hot tub would cost a fortune if i heated it using the normal electric rate :(

So i use a timer so it heats only in the cheap rates (8pm>6am & 12.45pm>2.45pm) and just knock the timer to the on setting if i go in the spa during the normal rate times

It loses about 0.3c heat per hour in the weather we had over the last week so the heater on about 5 hours per day (around 80p to 90p per day)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thanks..Do you only heat it during the cheap electric rate (off peak) or is that at the normal rate or mix of both ?

Ours is on all the time. Like above though, it’s so well insulated the heater rarely comes on. It’s actually quite impressive that the cover and walls of the hot tub are cold to touch.

Soldato
Ours is on all the time. Like above though, it’s so well insulated the heater rarely comes on. It’s actually quite impressive that the cover and walls of the hot tub are cold to touch.
I really want to buy a proper hot tub but i only rent the place where i live and if i had to get out what the hell would i do with a huge 6k+ spa :confused::(

OcUK Staff
I really want to buy a proper hot tub but i only rent the place where i live and if i had to get out what the hell would i do with a huge 6k+ spa :confused::(

All local dealers offer relocation services of hot tubs so just check with your supplying dealer if it’s a service they offer. It only gets more complicated if where you live needs a crane to get it into your garden.

Of course disadvantage of renting is you will be paying to have an electrician install a 32a supply and other stuff at two properties unless your buying a plug and play hot tub which are the cheaper models and from what I’ve learnt they are not heating whilst pumps running etc.

Im doing up a second property which I own and that is where we’re having our hot tub installed as we plan to move in December as have got quite a lot of work in progress happening at the property July onwards. :)

Soldato
Finally had another quote back to install an isolator and external power socket. This is running from the main consumer unit.

Sparky 1 : £570
He seems to want to install another unit even though there are 2 spare.... channels(?). Swap the 6amps for 32s surely? About £50 for 2.
This was his second visit as we originally thought about going from the garage unit which he quoted at £590.

Sparky 2 : £270
All materials inc, straight from main consumer unit.

Sparky 3 : £---
Agreed with sparky 2 on what was needed. Still not had quote.

The other 3 I contacted never came back to me.

The job involves drilling through 3 walls (2 external due to extension) which is slightly awkward as the kitchen is in the way.

Sparky 2 is now booked for next Thursday.

Happy Hottubs called and said they could deliver in 4 weeks. Guessing someone with the same spec as us cancelled and its already on the way. Result!!

Soldato
Why would that be a problem if it’s correctly installed? It shouldn’t be tripping anything! I guess it’s one way to up sell more work though.

Man of Honour
Seems expensive. I think ours hooked up an external cable, between the main fuse box and the outdoor 32A isolator for about £250. Must have been about a 10-15 meter run of cable. Ours only involved one wall though.

Soldato
Can I ask if they come prebuilt or are built on site. Have a really big back garden but no access bar down a side path down the side of the house (wide enough for wheely bins to go up and down them)?

Man of Honour
Can I ask if they come prebuilt or are built on site. Have a really big back garden but no access bar down a side path down the side of the house (wide enough for wheely bins to go up and down them)?

Ours came as one unit (I think most do). Needed to put some railway sleepers next to the step on the side entrance to get it over. Worth watching some Youtube videos, they need at least some reasonable clearance and no sharp turns. Otherwise you need a crane.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yea mine was slid into the garden on its side on a plastic sled. They had to go down the side of the house and lift a fence panel to get access. I think they needed 1.1m width down an alley.

Soldato

How close is your garden to the street? A crane can always take it over your house but a lower lift is not so much at the mercy of stronger winds.

Man of Honour
Well our hot tub has started to eat chlorine which generally indicates a biofilm build up in the pipes. Its nearly 3 months since we bought it and we've used it almost daily for many hours, so it isn't surprising. So it'll be getting a flush tomorrow. I must say its probably the best thing we've ever bought.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Well our hot tub has started to eat chlorine which generally indicates a biofilm build up in the pipes. Its nearly 3 months since we bought it and we've used it almost daily for many hours, so it isn't surprising. So it'll be getting a flush tomorrow. I must say its probably the best thing we've ever bought.

Which model do you have? Our water has been in there since Feb. We use ours every other day to avoid overwhelming the water with contaminants. Just 15g of non chlorine shock a week and a filter clean keeps the water in great condition. The fresh water salt system keeps on top of the sanitising.

Back
Top Bottom