Anyone have a Hot Tub?

Soldato
Love a beachcomber hot tub, some of these other brands seem quite spendy in comparison.

We have an old old beachcomber (700 series) that cost us £800 delivered, then £300 for the local company to pick it up from the haulers (who wanted my Mrs to lift it off) and to give it a test and service.

In the end they ran the serial number and found out they originally sold this exact tub to a couple in Lanarkshire in 1995, it found a home down near Southampton at some point then we purchased it and it arrived back around 5miles from where it was sold when new. Small world :D

It's a reliable and simple thing with an abundance of spares. With all these manufacturers out there, ensure they have pedigree, have been around for a long time and have plentiful spares available, as you will need them at some point.

If you're buying new, then £10k is a good limit as you don't get much more above that other than eleventy million jets. Diminishing returns kicks in.

For chemicals, you don't need bromine or chlorine as they will affect you're enjoyment. I highly recommend the Aquafinesse chemical system. All you need is one small cup of the chemical solution a week and change the tab every 6-7 days in your floaty duck.

No Chlorine or Bromine required so you never smell of chemicals and don't need to waste time constantly testing and adding chemicals here and there. We only need some alkalinity increaser once every few months, otherwise Aquafinesse just does the job with minimal fuss and hassle.

The tub only gets drained every 6 months or so, but the water still measures fine on the dipping tabs. Give some a chance to clean out fine debris, water level line and checkout the jets. A cheap wet vac helps get those final water pools out that can't be drained. £40 Screwfix jobby.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It does get ridiculous beyond a set point. For example never understood the point in integrated audio and video, it is just something which will go out of date quickly and be sub standard vs what you can do yourself.

As above buying something with quality branded parts which are easy to source should be the number one priority, oh and a tub which you can actually service the parts on without chipping away all the insulation....

I do think the upper market pedal an extra 1% for 50% more cost, agree with the 10k mark, tbh above that i'd be looking to spend the extra and get a swim spa with integrated hot tub at one end.

OcUK Staff
It does get ridiculous beyond a set point. For example never understood the point in integrated audio and video, it is just something which will go out of date quickly and be sub standard vs what you can do yourself.

As above buying something with quality branded parts which are easy to source should be the number one priority, oh and a tub which you can actually service the parts on without chipping away all the insulation....

I do think the upper market pedal an extra 1% for 50% more cost, agree with the 10k mark, tbh above that i'd be looking to spend the extra and get a swim spa with integrated hot tub at one end.

Swim Spa are so big and fugly though.

Looked at Hydropool and Master Spa today, but the J375IP is still our favourite. Gonna look at Hot Springs and got a couple of wet test booked.

Caporegime
Take your point, but not sure i'd class a hot tub as an objet d'art. Makes servicing harder but typically sinking these things into a deck make them look better.

Does look good the J375IP, one thing i'd think about is if you want two loungers rather than one.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Take your point, but not sure i'd class a hot tub as an objet d'art. Makes servicing harder but typically sinking these things into a deck make them look better.

Does look good the J375IP, one thing i'd think about is if you want two loungers rather than one.

We have a huge patio area and then a further raised 3mX3m section of patio which is our planned location and deciding how we feel we may have a wooden gazebo style affair built round it.

Our back garden is totally private and we have only one neighbour who lives in a large seven bedrooms house and it is just him and his wife which we found baffling at first but simply a case the kids grew up and moved out. Plus we are good friends with them so we have the privacy and an ideal location to place it and downstairs in our house we have a wet room so showering before entry to help keep it clean won’t be an issue. :)

OcUK Staff
Hi there

After looking at all the options and deals available the Jacuzzi J375IP with smart tub WiFi option and comes with prolast cover, hydraulic lifter, speakers, interior and exterior light kit, steps, chemical starter kit is one I’ve gone for, the head massages won it for us both.

should have being £14,500 with options but paid £12,500 so still a lot of money but it’s something I really wanted and feel I shall use a lot and should last us 10-20 years.

Not so great photo:

0FC48EB2-3D2A-409F-B040-ABD8AF1ACBA8.jpeg CACB5BE0-437B-4B17-BB06-51C5AED962B3.jpeg

Should arrive end of September but we’re in no rush as the property it’s being installed at I’m currently renovating and don’t plan on moving in until November/December. :)

P.S. Ordered mine with grey cabinet surround.

Soldato
We've gone for the Hotspring Relay , grey cabinet, white interior.

Likewise, a similar delivery time.

Had a couple of electricians around so far, still waiting on a quote from one and I expect them to differ wildly from what today's recommended. Got another sparky visiting tomorrow.

We need a replacement secondary consumer unit in the outbuilding, then an isolating switch for the tub and some external power sockets.

Soldato
Good good, you're really going to enjoy having it, especially when it gets colder. Those head pillows look ace!

There's nothing quite like sipping a nice drink in the tub when the garden is covered in snow :D

Hi there

chemical starter kit is one I’ve gone for

Like I said in a previous post, get the Aquafinesse kit. It's around £80 and will last circa 3months. It comes with a solution you pour in once a week and a mild sanitizing tablet that you put in your floating duck or the supplied puck. No need for anything else as you'll have some PH+ and - in the supplied kit for infrequent tweaks as required.

The Aquafinesse kit really does revolutionise your hot tub chemical management, with generic kits like the one you have being an absolute pain to manage with checks all the time and tweaking. My parents thought they new best and went the normal chemical route and were forever adding and checking and adding and checking daily which became annoying very quickly. They drained the tub and switched to Aquafinesse and were aghast at how well it worked with minimal effort.

The stuff also helps prevent scale buildup and doesn't leave you with any chemical smell when getting out, plus it helps the shell surface feel nicer on the skin compared to a full chlorine/bromine system.

Win win!

OcUK Staff
Good good, you're really going to enjoy having it, especially when it gets colder. Those head pillows look ace!

There's nothing quite like sipping a nice drink in the tub when the garden is covered in snow :D

Like I said in a previous post, get the Aquafinesse kit. It's around £80 and will last circa 3months. It comes with a solution you pour in once a week and a mild sanitizing tablet that you put in your floating duck or the supplied puck. No need for anything else as you'll have some PH+ and - in the supplied kit for infrequent tweaks as required.

The Aquafinesse kit really does revolutionise your hot tub chemical management, with generic kits like the one you have being an absolute pain to manage with checks all the time and tweaking. My parents thought they new best and went the normal chemical route and were forever adding and checking and adding and checking daily which became annoying very quickly. They drained the tub and switched to Aquafinesse and were aghast at how well it worked with minimal effort.

The stuff also helps prevent scale buildup and doesn't leave you with any chemical smell when getting out, plus it helps the shell surface feel nicer on the skin compared to a full chlorine/bromine system.

Win win!

Is that the natural enzyme stuff that is neither chlorine or bromine?

If so the dealer mentioned this and said they use it personally in their own tub and it is far easier with only downside being more expensive but I said we’d like to use it.

Assume this is same or similar natural product?

How much do these things depreciate? Do people view them like second hand mattresses?

Over ten grand for a bubbly pond seems bonkers to me.

I wouldn't mind one for a couple of grand mind!

You get what you pay for to an extent and yes second hand they are worth far less but I wanted new and for us it’s a purchase that will last us many years, my friends Jacuzzi is now 12 years old and still problem free.

Man of Honour
Bought ours at the start of the lockdown. Best thing we’ve ever bought. Have used it almost every single day. It’s heaven. Really relaxing after a heavy workout too. The cover lifter was optional - but I’m glad we got it. It also has Bluetooth speakers - again, something I never thought we needed :p

Soldato

If so the dealer mentioned this and said they use it personally in their own tub and it is far easier with only downside being more expensive but I said we’d like to use it.

You get what you pay for to an extent and yes second hand they are worth far less but I wanted new and for us it’s a purchase that will last us many years, my friends Jacuzzi is now 12 years old and still problem free.

That's fair enough if the funds allow then new is always gonna be the first choice. Just makes me curious about the second hand market.

They seem like a purchase that some people might upgrade / offload when they throw up some faults. But they seem like such a simple system that repairs are probably easy.

I'll be considering one once my garden is in a good state.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Depending on the tub some people have to basically give them away, as they age they become somewhat of a liability and become waste.

@Gibbo good looking tub that.

This is one of the big reasons to go with a well established brand with a strong support/after sales network.

I love my Hotspring, the Freshwater Salt System means I have to do minimal water care. Clean the filters once a week (depending on usage) and chuck in a scoop of non chlorine shock once a week.

Man of Honour
This is one of the big reasons to go with a well established brand with a strong support/after sales network.

Yup, everything on ours seems to be repairable/replaceable and its a decent company that serves a big area. Given how many years you can expect to get out of a good hot tub and how much we use it, it really wouldn't bother me just getting rid of it and buying a new one at the end of its life.

Soldato

Yep that'll be the stuff they use. The tablets the kit comes with is a mild chlorine type tab anyway, so the solution you pour in once a week does the majority of the work and the tab just sanitises the spa from any bacteria introduces, such as when you all get in.

It is a bit more expensive, but the like they've also said, the Aquafinesse just means zero hassle which is bliss.

Soldato
Anyone know how much it costs in electric per day for the heating on a proper spa/Hot tub

my intex 6 person Inflatable hot tub (1100 ltrs) costs about £1 per day to keep it heated (around 38c) and am just wondering how much cheaper it costs to keep a proper spa heated..

Back
Top Bottom