• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
I wonder if the upcoming 12gb 3080 will be LHR. Most likely, plus with the inevitable price rise. It could be easier to get one.

I hope so. It's ridiculous at the moment.

I've also noticed, recently, other retailers have been cheaper by a few £££ than OC especially on 3090's. Which is sad as I don't really want to buy from elsewhere given the amazing OC customer service I've had over the years.

But either way, the current pricing is insane. yet, some how, we've been looking at it for so long, it's starting to normalise with me.

Associate

I've also noticed, recently, other retailers have been cheaper by a few £££ than OC especially on 3090's. Which is sad as I don't really want to buy from elsewhere given the amazing OC customer service I've had over the years.

But either way, the current pricing is insane. yet, some how, we've been looking at it for so long, it's starting to normalise with me.

I can easily see the mrsp for the fe 3080 12gb being £800. 4080 at £1000. Never mind AIB and scalping by retailers adding on hundreds. I managed to bag 3080 fe, that's me set for at least 5 years at these prices.

Soldato

I get where you're coming from.

Before the pandemic, mining and scalping, my limit for a GPU was around £400, maybe £500 at a push.

Now, I've just spent £1060 on a 3080 Ti. :/

Still, its been over four years since my last one, it's a great card, and I'm having fun with it! :)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Before the pandemic, mining and scalping, my limit for a GPU was around £400, maybe £500 at a push.

Now, I've just spent £1060 on a 3080 Ti. :/

Still, its been over four years since my last one, it's a great card, and I'm having fun with it! :)

Exactly this, although I have mined for about a decade over the gens, I still only bought a £300-400 GPU which was low end of the better stuff, like a Vega a few years back. I used to baulk at people spending the £1200 on a 2080Ti but knew this was the death knell if plenty of buyers took it.

The evidence is though, you can sell on your redundant GPU now and recoup all the cost more or less, so the outlay was bad but not disastrous. It is only horrific if your new to the scene and have to stump up £500+ for a fresh build on just the GPU.

Soldato
There is still around four months of GPU mining to hit before you may start to panic. Many made the mistake and even 'predicted' the mass flood of GPU sales to occur in something like February but that's because they took information too literally and were not experienced in the mining scene (or even regular business scenes) that most targets and deadlines tend to be extended.

It looks like an early summer thing but no point in fixating on these things as with crypto lots can happen very swiftly.

Associate
Well, CB have a pretty depressing headline:
cEbbSza.png
Roughly translated: the extremes of last May have almost been reached again.

Naturally they have grap ZZVG8K4.png

And later on, a table:

qPOJTvg.png

I think they missed this price trend articles for a goo few months and the table seems to back that up.
Taking their table and putting it into Excel with a bit of autoformat, gets me this:

daE55LP.png

Crypto is nowhere near its high, so I guess Xmas was always going to be a poor time.

Soldato
I am wondering though (being a pessimistic person), how many folks selling on their used GPU's (even on the OCuk MM forum) after mining on them, will be honest and say that's what they've been used for???

Soldato
We covered the mining abuse usage and its affects on GPU's across a couple of threads. Its been debunked to death.

Not the point that I was trying to make really. Was just wondering how honest people would be about it. If it's not an issue, then "hopefully" people would have no problem mentioning it then (& "yes" I've followed the discussion/s regarding the effect of mining on GPU's).

Still personally (& if I had to place a bet on it, I suspect a lot of people would feel the same as me), would not knowingly (unless the price reflected it) buy a used GPU that had been mining 24/7 for a year or more. But in the end, as in so many things, it's up to an individual what they do and are happy with etc. :)

Soldato
Not the point that I was trying to make really. Was just wondering how honest people would be about it. If it's not an issue, then "hopefully" people would have no problem mentioning it then (& "yes" I've followed the discussion/s regarding the effect of mining on GPU's).

I see what your after now. That's a moral one, not so bad here but I would not trust likes of the bay or rubber tree for up front honesty. If its a high end or expensive part I just buy from someone I trust or get new for peace of mind. Different story if its pocket money or something you can afford to lose! :)

Back
Top Bottom