• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
Not the point that I was trying to make really. Was just wondering how honest people would be about it. If it's not an issue, then "hopefully" people would have no problem mentioning it then (& "yes" I've followed the discussion/s regarding the effect of mining on GPU's).
There's simply no way to know, but I'd assume that any listing that mentions it hasn't been used to mine on is more likely to have been used for mining.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
There's simply no way to know, but I'd assume that any listing that mentions it hasn't been used to mine on is more likely to have been used for mining.
:cry:

Its kind of irrelevant really, I mean it could have been abused by bad installation habits, swapped between rigs a lot, never cleaned/inspected or just overclocked and revved hard by another gamer! Hot and cold cycles will be bad for the card too, I can understand people being concerned by a neglectful owner or plastic miner but people also overlook that 'gamers' may not look after their equipment equally especially when regular folk may not really know what they are doing with components (clogged up with dust, mashing cables in, turning off computer via hard resets to name but a few)!

Associate
I'd buy a cheap 2nd had gpu. No way I'd spend serious cash without a transferable warranty. Whether or not a card has been mined on, electronic equipment fail.

Associate
I don't know whether to laugh or cry: 2 years ago, I didn't want to pay for an outgoing flagship (2080Ti) as it was about a grand and felt really overpriced as it was the complete halo product with 5700XT's struggling to compete anywhere, even with the previous generation of nVidia.... and 1080Ti's were looking very long in the tooth and still £700+....

Christmas 2019 and I thought I'd get a mid-range stopgap, albeit a new model: I paid ~£230 for a GTX1660S, cursing the fact the MSRP was £220 and I was overpaying.... 2 years later and that's now the going price for a 5yr old second hand GTX1070, if you're lucky.... and I've seen some of the better GTX1060's going for over £200!.... The last time Overclockers had a GTX1660S in stock, it was £395! (not a dig - the only people that seem to have stock are listing them at £450+, but that's probably why they have stock!)...

* they released the 16xx cards as cut down Turings rather than Pascals = so it's a gimped, non RTX 2xxx-series, rather than a re-hashed 10xx series... at least they were honest with the names :)

Really mixed emotions about the whole thing: I'm really annoyed and disappointed at the state of the market... over a year after the release of the 3000-series cards and prices are still 150-200% of RRP.... but then at least I pulled the trigger on SOMETHING before the world went crazy... otherwise I think the only working cards I had in the house were an HD7970 (and no driver support) or a GTX1050Ti out of an HTPC.

I guess I should just be grateful for what I've got: it's an okay card with 6Gb GDDR6 and GTX1070-ish performance and at least I didn't have to bend over a barrel to pay for it.... but I really was expecting the market to have recovered by now?!?!

Associate
I'd buy a cheap 2nd had gpu.
Depends what you call "cheap".... even that market is still nuts!! The auctions for the GTX1660S (in my previous post) are knocking around £350+ with the BuyItNow around £400 (2nd hand) and £500 for unused, but no retail warranty.... if OC's get them back in stock at £395 that suddenly feels like good value, despite being double RRP and nearly double what I paid two years ago.

And for balance... the second hand AMD's are almost worse: nearly £800 for second hand 5700XT's.... you can get a NEW 6700XT from OC right now for £700!! The 6700XT is 20%+ faster for gaming AND we're talking about a new retail card! Market just goes crazy after that - there's a £400 spec up to the 6800....

Associate
Not the point that I was trying to make really. Was just wondering how honest people would be about it. If it's not an issue, then "hopefully" people would have no problem mentioning it then (& "yes" I've followed the discussion/s regarding the effect of mining on GPU's).

Still personally (& if I had to place a bet on it, I suspect a lot of people would feel the same as me), would not knowingly (unless the price reflected it) buy a used GPU that had been mining 24/7 for a year or more. But in the end, as in so many things, it's up to an individual what they do and are happy with etc. :)

If it makes any difference, I bought my 1080ti a few years ago from a miner who had it for 6 months. The card is still perfect today so I wouldn't be bothered about doing it again.

As far as these prices are going, I really want an upgrade but I do not want to pay any more than £500. Looks like I will be waiting an age for that to happen again, even second hand.

Associate
You could sell the 1080ti after securing a 3060Ti or 3070 FE. You would probably get about £400 for it so well in budget for below the £500 @Wommers

I sold my 1080 Ti for £430 back in February so one should easily be able to get that amount when looking at the way prices have trended since. And just to add that was also a card that had been used by a miner, I bought it second hand in September 2018 and didn't have an issue in the nearly 2.5 years I had it.

Associate
I sold my 1080 Ti for £430 back in February so one should easily be able to get that amount when looking at the way prices have trended since. And just to add that was also a card that had been used by a miner, I bought it second hand in September 2018 and didn't have an issue in the nearly 2.5 years I had it.
At the time that probably felt like the top of the 2nd hand market.... so I don't blame you, but the AUCTIONS are closing out ~£600 these days for used 2nd hand.... and the retail is even higher.

Associate
At the time that probably felt like the top of the 2nd hand market.... so I don't blame you, but the AUCTIONS are closing out ~£600 these days for used 2nd hand.... and the retail is even higher.

I have zero regrets, meant my 6800 XT (which was about £200 more than RRP) cost me about what it should have when considering the 1080 Ti was selling for around £250 a few months earlier. It is a crazy situation though, such as when my bro basically only had to pay postage for a 6600 XT after selling his Vega 56.

Associate
I have zero regrets, meant my 6800 XT (which was about £200 more than RRP) cost me about what it should have when considering the 1080 Ti was selling for around £250 a few months earlier. It is a crazy situation though, such as when my bro basically only had to pay postage for a 6600 XT after selling his Vega 56.
Agreed - GTX1080Ti's have gone up.... but other have gone up more.... was a good time to trade up, you got a v solid card there!

Soldato
This is what I found also, s/h pries are nuts, in some, if not most cases, people are asking more than the brand new price for a used identical item!, no warranty, no come back, no known history (could've been overclocked to the moon and back and probably mined on as well (I won't go there, had a nasty ex mining card). I was lucky I got hold of a Powercolor rx6700xt Red Devil for a bit over £600, refurbed item, but from a reputable dealer, warranty of 2 yrs, and looks brand new. Still over priced though, but what can you do, sons got me old card, just need to shift my original card.

OcUK Staff
That is crazy..... OC's have lot of 3070's in stock at £830.... or is that because your 3070 was an older one, pre-LHR?

We have every GPU in stock with 3070 from £799 and 3070Ti from £899, pricing is still crazy but it’s competitive in todays market and sales are strong.

None LHR cards fetch huge money a friend sold a 3070 none LHR last week for £1100 and has since purchased a 6800 XT from OcUK for £1100.

Prices are high but people are selling old cards at high prices which essentially offsets the high price for a new card.

Prices will get a lot better sometime in 2023 but until then market is gonna remain crazy.

Soldato
None LHR cards fetch huge money a friend sold a 3070 none LHR last week for £1100 and has since purchased a 6800 XT from OcUK for £1100.

Prices are high but people are selling old cards at high prices which essentially offsets the high price for a new card.

Prices will get a lot better sometime in 2023 but until then market is gonna remain crazy.

We have been mentioning this over the threads Gibbo so I guess those that know, know. You did mention back in March about the crazy market, thanks for the heads up as its looking like you say another year of insane demand to weather!

Soldato
We have every GPU in stock with 3070 from £799 and 3070Ti from £899, pricing is still crazy but it’s competitive in todays market and sales are strong.

HAve all 10GB 3080`s gone EOL and so cards are no longer in channel?

Soldato
bowl-of-popcorn.jpg

OcUK Staff
HAve all 10GB 3080`s gone EOL and so cards are no longer in channel?

The 3080 10G pretty much does not exist any more, NVIDIA priced it far too cheap and hence why the drops were always rare and short lived and have now become even rarer and why scalpers had it so easy.

People here will of course say it is priced right or still too expensive but the simple facts are the market went absolutely crazy about this card to the point that OcUK within 24hrs of launch had taken like 10,000 pre orders which is a record by miles for all GPU launches. The market is the correct measurement for demand and the 3080 was off the scale !

The market reaction says it all, damn all that performance for so little money, commence the insane buying.

January will bring some new products and when it comes to prices AMD’s stack is easily available and their pricing though nowhere near MRSP is readily available and OcUK is competitive especially with 6600 at £399 and 6700 XT at £699

Pandemic, Mining and shortages means MRSPs will remain pretty much impossible for another year and 2023 thing may improve or might not the world is changing as is the customer base for said products and the markets that use them which could result in higher prices just becoming the norm, let’s hope not but the future is unknown.

The one good thing is todays entry level cards will play games very well at 1080P such as GTX 1650 which are £199 here and AMD and NVIDIA have new stuff due January.

Back
Top Bottom