• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
Workmate of mine was whinging at me earlier today about lack of stock everywhere & what little stock was available was ££££. He obviously isn't a member on here so I enlightened him on the reasons why & to wait a while. Needless to say he wasn't happy.
Me - I don't play PC games anymore so the situation doesn't bother me. GTX 9 series card does what I want it to do so I'm in no rush to buy new.

Soldato
Does anyone think we will see a 3080 in the £800 region at any point soon or even a £6800xt for £750.

I just don't really wan to go lower and the 6900 and 3090 don't really offer the performance for the price.

Do you think the prices you listed are anywhere near msrp price? Both cards should be around £600-£700 if supply was ample. £800 is still in scalpers price territory.
Sadly a lot of people are of the mindset that prices won't go down so are playing right into the scalpers trap. If everyone held off buying for a few months then prices would have had to come down. We are all getting screwed because of the impatient with more money than sense.

Associate
Do you think the prices you listed are anywhere near msrp price? Both cards should be around £600-£700 if supply was ample. £800 is still in scalpers price territory.
Sadly a lot of people are of the mindset that prices won't go down so are playing right into the scalpers trap. If everyone held off buying for a few months then prices would have had to come down. We are all getting screwed because of the impatient with more money than sense.

This is literally how supply and demand works.

I think it's short-sighted to suggest those willing to pay a bit more are in some way stupid.

Associate

Not far off rrp for a non founders/reference card.

Associate
Hello I am pretty new to everything about graphics cards. On the site most graphics cards show that they are coming soon, with no option to purchase the item however the Gigabyte GeForce 1660 Super OC gives the option to be put in the basket and undergo the process of purchasing but it says that it is out of stock. Does it mean I am put in some sort of queue until it is restocked? Am I just wasting money by proceeding to checkout?

Permabanned

Crazy price. Didn't AMD tell Hardware Unboxed that we will see aib cards at msrp?
5mins 50
https://youtu.be/qaBIgo0ZCxs

Just didn't say when. :(

For those 2000 series owners moaning that they can't buy a new card. Dry your eyes luv, I've been saving for a year and stuck using a 660ti but I won't pay over the odds.
We are British and we love a bargain, so I will wait for the coupon day (Jurassic Park quote.)

Associate
Hello I am pretty new to everything about graphics cards. On the site most graphics cards show that they are coming soon, with no option to purchase the item however the Gigabyte GeForce 1660 Super OC gives the option to be put in the basket and undergo the process of purchasing but it says that it is out of stock. Does it mean I am put in some sort of queue until it is restocked? Am I just wasting money by proceeding to checkout?
Guessing the website from your description, it should have a 'we expect this item on xxxx date' label on the page. If not, call their customer service department.

Also: consider this if you have £700; it's not a terrible deal and is really in stock:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-39d-sp.html

Soldato
Problem is really that NVIDIA should have sorted this out many years ago. They could, for example, have started an NVIDIA global user database. A shop would check with the database to see if you have bought a card before and would be able to judge whether to sell you another or not. Everyone who buys a card is entered on the database. Simple. In that way you could be limited to a maximum of two per customer per shipping address or something. But truth is that NVIDIA don't really care.

great minds think alike, 100% same as my PS5 suggestion.

Associate
Scammed as in lost your money, or 'attempted scam' meaning a dispute in progress?

I say that because as a seller you are actually more exposed than a buyer as long as you don't do anything stoopid like a bank transfer.

Have been trying to get my money back for nearly a month now. They keep giving me the run around because it's a "high value item" and refund has to be "approved" by higher management despite repeatedly being told I won the dispute.

The notion that Ebays "money back guarantee" is bulletproof for buyers is clearly not true when it comes to expensive purchases. Looking back I should seen a big red flag when the seller originally offered to accept payment by bank-transfer before i payed with debit card.

Funnily enough I was scammed by another seller with high feedback in the same month for something unrelated but it was low value so didn't put in a dispute. Ebay has become rife with seller fraud. I will never make another expensive purchase on that site ever again.

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Haven't had a GPU for a while and been looking for last few months which is of course when this whole thing really hit, but actually managed to get my hands on a 1660 for a comparatively reasonable amount given the circumstances.

Associate
To stop bots scanning them in the gpu section.

Makes sense. Just ordered one to call it a day. IK it's overpriced but to be fair I payed more for my 2080 from nvidia on launch and i'm ok to pay under 750 for above 2080TI performance in this climate .

The 3070 seems to be selling fast. I guess G-sync & raytracing is more important to most people than having double the VRAM. :rolleyes:

6800 should do me for this generation. Seems like the sweet spot as far as price/perf is concerned even with inflated prices.

Caporegime
Guessing the website from your description, it should have a 'we expect this item on xxxx date' label on the page. If not, call their customer service department.

Also: consider this if you have £700; it's not a terrible deal and is really in stock:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-39d-sp.html

It is a terrible deal. Not that they are in stock but the 6800xt AMD version was basically £580-600 depending on exchange rate, the damn XT.

£700 for the non XT version of the card? Even the Nitro edition reviews basically say that despite the increased clocks performance was identical to the stock 6800, it didn't even run as cool but did run quieter though the reference card is already quiet. Even overclocked by like 10-15% clock speeds it barely seems to show 5% more performance.

The reference cards are good enough, much like the Nvidia founders editions that there is no reason for AIB cards to be more this time around but the same time. Reference with terrible cooler vs AIB with higher clocks, 5% more performance and vastly superior cooling was worth more but not much. Reference card with equal cooling, close enough on noise levels, equal on performance, AIBs shouldn't cost more.

£700 for a £540 card is literally 30% higher priced than it should be. It's a shockingly bad deal.

The 6900xt at £1200 is only 20% above the actual price, though it was vastly worst priced in terms of performance/£ to begin with, however it's still less bad compared to RRP.

It's mad though, OCUK is charging so much that cards that sell out instantly have been in stock for days now because the prices are insanely high.

All the more galling as OCUK happily took the £700 or whatever it was for a reference 6800xt card from me then cancelled my order. £700 would be an okay but high price for a 6800xt NItro, not a 6800 non XT, pulse card.

Associate
TBH I have kind of given up due to the silly prices, I was in the que for one, when they 1st came out and I left which I now no was a bad idea, but cannot find nothing now, its madness so I ll just wait for things to get to normal OCUK put me back on the pre-order que, do it for the Members, its better than searching and wasting time everyday lol!

Associate
It is a terrible deal. Not that they are in stock but the 6800xt AMD version was basically £580-600 depending on exchange rate, the damn XT.

£700 for the non XT version of the card? Even the Nitro edition reviews basically say that despite the increased clocks performance was identical to the stock 6800, it didn't even run as cool but did run quieter though the reference card is already quiet. Even overclocked by like 10-15% clock speeds it barely seems to show 5% more performance.

The reference cards are good enough, much like the Nvidia founders editions that there is no reason for AIB cards to be more this time around but the same time. Reference with terrible cooler vs AIB with higher clocks, 5% more performance and vastly superior cooling was worth more but not much. Reference card with equal cooling, close enough on noise levels, equal on performance, AIBs shouldn't cost more.

£700 for a £540 card is literally 30% higher priced than it should be. It's a shockingly bad deal.

The 6900xt at £1200 is only 20% above the actual price, though it was vastly worst priced in terms of performance/£ to begin with, however it's still less bad compared to RRP.

It's mad though, OCUK is charging so much that cards that sell out instantly have been in stock for days now because the prices are insanely high.

All the more galling as OCUK happily took the £700 or whatever it was for a reference 6800xt card from me then cancelled my order. £700 would be an okay but high price for a 6800xt NItro, not a 6800 non XT, pulse card.

In the current climate it's actually far from a "terrible deal" and OCUK are the cheapest currently available online.

1. A competitor retailer was selling a 6800 Red Dragon for £789.99 which is worse than the Nitro and probably even the Pulse.
2. I dunno about the pulse but reviews show Sapphires NITRO version as having better noise AND thermals than stock 6800 so worth a premium.
3. What's the point comparing prices to reference cards when reference cards aren't currently available from AMD with no ETA in sight?
4. As for saying the 6900xt is "better value" the cheapest 6900XT is almost £500 more than 6800 so unless you REALLY need that level performance what's "better value" is all relative to individual needs.

At the end of the day people will buy what's available and after going since September without a GPU I'm happy OCUK has made these available.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom