• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
Prices are absolutely insane still, I got a 3080 Fe about 4-5 months ago and my 1070 has been sat under the bed since and my 960 2GB there as well still.

I managed to get £300 for the 1070 and £70 for the 960 within 5 hours of listing them. I was astonished. I thank the lord every day since I got my 3080.

Soldato
I've been wanting to drop 2/3k on a new PC for almost 2 years now but I'm too stubborn to spend anything over MSRP so I've complemented the PS5, purchased last year, with Series X and Game Pass purchased this year. Hard to justify any sort of value with PC costs when compared with 450 quid consoles.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Rather have the card.

I know. It raises the interesting question of reading posters that need/want card so badly, then when they have one, sell it. Yes its capitalising on a good situation but if a someone wanted such a card, was a diehard gamer, and its hard to secure, selling it in such a fashion means they never really needed it in the first place?

Soldato
I know. It raises the interesting question of reading posters that need/want card so badly, then when they have one, sell it. Yes its capitalising on a good situation but if a someone wanted such a card, was a diehard gamer, and its hard to secure, selling it in such a fashion means they never really needed it in the first place?
Agreed.

I was tempted. But I don't need the money. And running a 1080ti for another couple of years didn't appeal. If I didn't strike it lucky then I'd have stayed with what I've got.

I've made some cash mining although that only promoted to me water cool it money in money out. Lol

Soldato
Agreed.

I was tempted. But I don't need the money. And running a 1080ti for another couple of years didn't appeal. If I didn't strike it lucky then I'd have stayed with what I've got.

I've made some cash mining although that only promoted to me water cool it money in money out. Lol

As mentioned a few times in threads, its uncertain how the next gen release will pan out. Its likely to be another repeat at least in hard to secure 40 series cards. The only difference when it happens is if the crypto market tanks, there will be many older cards up for grabs but the same herd will be wanting a 40 series so the lack of them available will again keep the prices high.

Associate
Wasn't there a article about tsmc withholding production to companies that where stockpiling ? Maybe Nvidia have fallen fowl of this. How much of their gaming revenue has be geforce-now ?

Remember when the 1080ti in 2018 went from £600-£1200 dollars there was no pandemic, GPU shortage, or miners then. And Nvidia stock revenues is up to 85% 2021 from a year earlier it was 68% in the gaming world. Also China has expanded its crackdown on cryptocurrencies after several months of closing down mining operations in the country, now going a step further and deeming all crypto-related activities illegal, in the mean time western countries mining operations continual untouched.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thought about building the kid a small pc to play some Lego and racing games on but after getting offered a PS4 Pro for 125 quid with 2 games and working without issue I thought pc be damned :p market is to crazy right now to say no to that kind of offer. The kid is certainly going to be filled with christmas joy very soon :)

Associate
The PC market is going to die in the not too distant future. Games will no longer be released on the PC as it won't be cost effective given the high cost of hardware for the masses. The only way this situation changes is if China start producing cheap GPUs (and CPUs for that matter) that are every bit as good as Intel/Nvidia/AMD. Given the economic situation in China though, that won't happen. China is now exporting inflation to the west, a complete 180 of the past 30 years.

I'd say make the most of what you have. Today's games, particularly AAAs are not very good anyway and certainly do not make the cost of GPUs justifiable. Higher end, or even mid-range will be for the rich kids before long. I'd estimate a mid-range GPU to be somewhere around £5000 by year end 2022.

Soldato
Igpu is the way forward. In 15 years time igpu will be able to play classics like cyberpunk 2077. Lol

We thought this years ago when Kaveri? was being built up and we thought dGPU rivalled performance was coming in the form of APU's. It doesn't make sense for these companies to kill off their discrete market so it has stepped onwards mainly because of mobile progression.

Associate
The PC market is going to die in the not too distant future. Games will no longer be released on the PC as it won't be cost effective given the high cost of hardware for the masses. .... Higher end, or even mid-range will be for the rich kids before long. I'd estimate a mid-range GPU to be somewhere around £5000 by year end 2022.

I agree with you, the PC games market could well take a real hit over the next few years, losing to the consoles big time. Whilst development of GPU's keeps raising the bar for games software to push, it has normally been supplemented by the lower GPU tier cards that the average user could buy to run the game as well, making it worthwhile to develop the games software for PC.

But with the current state of play, the access to the lower tiers is eroding. Buy a stagnated level of GPU for a high price, or get a console with access to all the latest games for a good number of years. Software developers will drift alongwith them to where the market was ... i.e. not PC.

Soldato
Agree, there is no point in now buying an 'entry level' GPU costing £400 when you could just buy a console and get a full entertainment unit. The Entry and even mid-range seems to have staggered up to obscene price points and can understand why people shun it. What makes it even easier for the console eco-system is what I just mentioned, steering a massive audience to not bother with PC gaming.

Strangely there has been a lot of demand in the PC market, not sure if its the streaming era or the console gen maturing where people now have jobs and can afford a PC (which they may have admired growing up as it was too expensive for parents). In any case most gaming towers now starting at a grand will lock out a lot of people for the next year or so.

Associate
I've been wanting to drop 2/3k on a new PC for almost 2 years now but I'm too stubborn to spend anything over MSRP so I've complemented the PS5, purchased last year, with Series X and Game Pass purchased this year. Hard to justify any sort of value with PC costs when compared with 450 quid consoles.

Ive gone through several builds over the last year and a half waiting to pick up a gpu but the ripoff custom fan from third parties at a £300 markup before they started going up due to shortages didnt help at all, got £2-2.5k to unload on a complete tower build all just waiting on gpu.

Not they are nearly double the cost of FE for just a custom fan.

Soldato

lol at the thought that you can "just go out and buy a 450 quid console" they're subject to shortages as well parents are paying a grand or more to get one for xmas for the kids

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...esale-sites-paying-1000-new-Sony-console.html

Back
Top Bottom