• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
If you are a simmer rather than a gamer you have no choice but to stick with PC. Il-2 or DCS in VR would be totally out of the question for a Xbox. I know that MSFS is/will be available but I cant see rudder pedals/throttle/joystick/button box and more working on it.

Associate
If you are a simmer rather than a gamer you have no choice but to stick with PC. Il-2 or DCS in VR would be totally out of the question for a Xbox. I know that MSFS is/will be available but I cant see rudder pedals/throttle/joystick/button box and more working on it.

True, but that is a very niche part of the gaming community. If you want to remain a PC sim player then you are going to have to either stick with the hardware you have got or stump up increasing amounts of cash to keep your machine relevant. This is going to cause fewer people to enter the PC sim community which in turn will mean there is less money to be made for sim developers which will mean less sim games. A downward spiral.

Associate
In most ways, it provides a better gaming experience than my old gaming PC at about half the price. I am now a console convert and I won't be going back to PC gaming until you can buy a GPU that is faster than the fastest consoles GPU for cheaper than the console costs. I don't think that will likely ever happen.

I'm in this boat as well. Got the boy an xbox series s this christmas, and the games are all perfectly playable with decent graphics. When you add the notion of knowing that all new games will still be playable for the next few years on the console, it makes for great value. If it gets to a stage where the console cant handle the latest games, then no doubt an upgrade to the console will be cheaper than a GPU at that point. Console wins out again.

Deleted member 76686

D

Deleted member 76686

When you can buy both 9th generation consoles for less than a 3070ti you know there are issues with the graphics card market.

Man of Honour
Is there any hope of a resolution anytime soon?

Not much of one. Companies are currently making record profits from the current situation, so it's not a problem for them. Not in the short term at least and that's usually the only timescale large businesses operate in. On top of that, the extremely fragile global supply systems are damaged and can't be fixed quickly.

A couple of potential avenues for a resolution, but I'd rate both of them very unlikely:

i) Intel are willing and able to bring a substantial quantity of competitive cards to market at high (as opposed to extremely high) prices, seeking to maximise their profits by rapidly gaining a lot of market share in a market they currently have no share of at all while simultaneously getting massive amounts of free and extremely positive publicity. It would be a very profitable course of action, but it would also be an unusual one. I think it's more likely that Intel will seek the mind-numbing lure of massive profit margins immediately even if they could profit more from lower margins. I also think Intel wouldn't be able to do it anyway. The supply/manufacturing/distribution issues are real and Intel isn't immune to them.

ii) All companies involved forgo immediate massive profit margins because they consider the current situation as being a threat to the entire market in the not too distant future. It is a threat to the PC gaming market, but "graphics" cards companies can sell their products for cryptocurrency work instead so they'd still have a market.

There's some talk about a possibility of the manufacturing shortcomings possibly being addressed by maybe as early as some time in 2023, maybe. But that's just one of the problems and it doesn't change the fact that companies know they can sell cards at huge prices. So why stop doing so? Lower costs just means even higher profit margins.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
And then summer before that, I have lost count how much its been pushed back.

Back when I mined on 1070s a few years back, it was supposedly coming soon.

Correct. A few 'experts' that revisited mining in past months spouted off a 'flood of gpus in February' etc as they read the headlines and not the story. Its likely June now when it could happen as its a realistic timeframe target.

Associate
Not much of one. Companies are currently making record profits from the current situation, so it's not a problem for them. Not in the short term at least and that's usually the only timescale large businesses operate in. On top of that, the extremely fragile global supply systems are damaged and can't be fixed quickly.

A couple of potential avenues for a resolution, but I'd rate both of them very unlikely:

i) Intel are willing and able to bring a substantial quantity of competitive cards to market at high (as opposed to extremely high) prices, seeking to maximise their profits by rapidly gaining a lot of market share in a market they currently have no share of at all while simultaneously getting massive amounts of free and extremely positive publicity. It would be a very profitable course of action, but it would also be an unusual one. I think it's more likely that Intel will seek the mind-numbing lure of massive profit margins immediately even if they could profit more from lower margins. I also think Intel wouldn't be able to do it anyway. The supply/manufacturing/distribution issues are real and Intel isn't immune to them.

ii) All companies involved forgo immediate massive profit margins because they consider the current situation as being a threat to the entire market in the not too distant future. It is a threat to the PC gaming market, but "graphics" cards companies can sell their products for cryptocurrency work instead so they'd still have a market.

There's some talk about a possibility of the manufacturing shortcomings possibly being addressed by maybe as early as some time in 2023, maybe. But that's just one of the problems and it doesn't change the fact that companies know they can sell cards at huge prices. So why stop doing so? Lower costs just means even higher profit margins.

I'm sort of hopeful of doing a new pc build around August September time if eth goes pos and prices decrease also isn't the difficulty of mining increasing making it less profitable to mine

If not spose I'll get a series x and call it a day on pc gaming

Soldato
I'm sort of hopeful of doing a new pc build around August September time if eth goes pos and prices decrease also isn't the difficulty of mining increasing making it less profitable to mine

If not spose I'll get a series x and call it a day on pc gaming

Won't the miners just mine other stuff instead? I can't see it changing much personally. :(

Soldato
Paid £75 for a 730 a week or so ago.. I want to storm the town hall, it hurts my soul.

that's shocking dude wtf. i hope you're joking..
When you can buy both 9th generation consoles for less than a 3070ti you know there are issues with the graphics card market.

This. Top end GPU should just be over the price of a top tier console IMO. Having said that I've spent the most i've ever done so on a card recently, I Was only able to do so as i got back what i paid for another card 2 years AGO... a 2060 Super costs more than a ps5................................

Caporegime
Won't the miners just mine other stuff instead? I can't see it changing much personally. :(
Etherium has been "going POS" for how many years now? :p

And it's very likely as you say that miners will simply mine other PoW crypto. Including a possible fork of Etherium itself, by those wishing to keep using PoW.

Soldato
Etherium has been "going POS" for how many years now? :p

And it's very likely as you say that miners will simply mine other PoW crypto. Including a possible fork of Etherium itself, by those wishing to keep using PoW.

Sad for some but reality. There is already an existing fork called Ethereum Classic. ;) No need for PoW stuff there's plenty that will live on regardless of ETH.

Soldato
The price of electricity could have the biggest affect on mining. Big rises in April and October next year.

Yes certainly for the UK as we have very high unit prices compared to some countries. Some of Europe will feel the pinch too. When crypto market sinks it will squeeze from other side (less value) and this will identify who were buying them up and trying to offload before the cards value crashes in the second hand scene.

Soldato
Yes certainly for the UK as we have very high unit prices compared to some countries. Some of Europe will feel the pinch too. When crypto market sinks it will squeeze from other side (less value) and this will identify who were buying them up and trying to offload before the cards value crashes in the second hand scene.
I think at this point the second hand market is going to be self-sustaining for a while yet.

Back
Top Bottom