anyone remember barrysworld

Soldato
It's a shame the Gamespy client was an utter POS, that was hardly ever updated for performance. Pingtool was the king of server browsers then and practically killed it stone dead in terms of features. All Seeing Eye then arrived a few years later.

Associate
_1132593_bworld-300.jpg

Associate
Used to play quakeworld and counter strike version 1.0 i think it was. Used to love running around as the VIP on the Oil Rig map

Associate
Used to play quakeworld and counter strike version 1.0 i think it was. Used to love running around as the VIP on the Oil Rig map

Oh man i loved those VIP maps, didnt they remove them ? Valve sure as hell sucked the fun out of CS for the competitive pr0 wannabe 12 year olds :/.

Associate
Oh man i loved those VIP maps, didnt they remove them ? Valve sure as hell sucked the fun out of CS for the competitive pr0 wannabe 12 year olds :/.

I believe so. I haven't played it since the days of 1.3 though and not sure whats happening with it these days with the source version out also.

Soldato
:) I remember 'The All Seeing Eye'. Was a great app that never had any advertising and was free. I think they sold out to a company?

Gaming was so different back then, i definitely enjoyed it more. But I don't know why I think that, i could not put my finger on it!

Sem

Sem

Soldato
OP
:) I remember 'The All Seeing Eye'. Was a great app that never had any advertising and was free. I think they sold out to a company?

Gaming was so different back then, i definitely enjoyed it more. But I don't know why I think that, i could not put my finger on it!

ASE was a great alternative to gamespy

even tho it was free i still paid monet to register it

then yahoo came along bought them out and ruined everything :mad:

atleast they offered me my money back

Associate

The only games that have came close for me of having the same feeling were CoD4 and TF2, although i quickly became "done" with them. Not sure what it is really, its possible i was more into the community *back in the day* what with IRC channels and what not (like being in your clans IRC channel, then joining another clans IRC was a few clicks away to give out grief etc :)). Also having all my mates playing the same games etc, which we dont really do anymore what with RL things etc, maybe im just getting past it lol.

Last edited:
Associate
The best thing about All Seeing Eye was the fact you could click to join a server, if it was full ASE would simply minimize and automatically keep checking the server until there was a free slot and then connect you. That feature alone made it fantastic. :cool:

Associate
BarrysWorld
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Barrysworld was a popular British multiplayer gaming website which hosted many servers for various video game titles. Originally run by a volunteer organisation, during the late 1990s and early 2000s it ran a multitude of servers for popular multiplayer games of the time including: Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Quake, Quake II, Quake III, Starsiege: Tribes, Team Fortress and Unreal Tournament. The website and its multiplayer servers were launched in early 1998, having evolved from several 'clan' servers previously operated by the website's creators.

While the website and free multiplayer servers proved popular, claiming to have around 300,000 registered users, the organisation behind the website struggled at times to find funds for the hardware and bandwidth required to support such a service.

Around the year 1999, it started offering a pay-per-use modem dialup service and along with supporting the free multiplayer services and website, propelled Barrysworld to being the 4th largest internet service provider (ISP) in the UK (based on call minutes per month). However, as cheap flat-rate narrowband and broadband services from more main-stream ISP's became popular and the dot com crash made venture capitalists apprehensive about funding such organizations and Barrysworld once again struggled to find funds to support its activities. While the organisation tried for a while to support the service by offering rentable game servers and (non-compulsory) subscriptions, by 2001 the funding crisis had forced the organisation, which by now had 35 payrolled staff, into liquidation.

The British video game retailing company GAME.net purchased the website and its assets soon after and for the next couple of years ran the website and multiplayer service in a similar manner, hoping the multiplayer service would promote its products.

In 2003 the original creators of Barrysworld parted ways from the GAME.net company and relaunched the service supported by a volunteer based organisation using a new website http://www.freddyshouse.com.

The name Barrysworld is a reference to the character Barry the Time Sprout in novels by Robert Rankin[1].

Back
Top Bottom