anyone remember barrysworld

Associate
I remember Barrysworld, played soo much Quake2 and Quake 2 Rocket Arena!

Dogz was my nick

The last clan I was in was [DOS] :)

Last edited:
Associate
Can't bring myself to delete BW from my favourites even after all these years!

Action Quake then Action Quake 2 then Counter Strike. I still miss AQ2, not been anything like it since.

Started out on BW dialup and then became a LPB with Telewest Blueyonder for £50 a month in early '99.

Associate
Oh wow, I remember playing on Barrysworld when I was like 8 or 9, playing UT classic on my uncle's computer. Probably the best time of going to see him lol!

Associate
lol at LPB.

I'm trying to remember my average.. think it hovered somewhere around 250-300. Manageable as long as it was steady and didn't spike, you got used to aiming a few feet in front of where other people were running to. Not so bad when using an instant hit weap like a rail, but when you mix up your arsenal with r/l's, shotgund and plasma weaps all having different velocity ammo..

A little different these days! I ping around 20-40. No need to predict as much.

When I think about it, we were good players back then. DAMN GOOD PLAYERS!

Man of Honour
[timko];14217876 said:
Now that acronym really is a blast from the past. I never went down the ISDN route before cable and ADSL became widely available and so hung onto v90 dialup and thus being a HPB for the longest time ever :D

Wasn't it HPW and LPB? :)

I remember getting ADSL when it was first rolled out - meant I couldn't play on all my old favourite servers anymore. Was quite sucky actually :/

Sem

Sem

Soldato
OP
lol at LPB.

I'm trying to remember my average.. think it hovered somewhere around 250-300. Manageable as long as it was steady and didn't spike, you got used to aiming a few feet in front of where other people were running to.

playing Q2 & UT instagib with 300ping is what honed my fps skills way back then

when i finally got cable i was unstoppable

Associate
Used to love playing in the UKCL and UKQFFL Quakeworld leagues, with the clan I formed, the Quake Wizzzards! We were pretty terrible, I accepted anyone into the guild to get it off the ground but we had more than a few memorable matches and some great times in the league. How on earth these leagues managed to run and people find out they existed using such arcaic tools like Gamespy, IRC and e-mail.

Used to love hanging out in #quake.uk on the quakenet irc network (using barrysworld server), talking with the earliest UK professional gamers like Sujoy Roy, and my mIRC client that I had scripted to hell and back :D

Sem

Sem

Soldato
OP
http://kainzy.org/articles/altgameshalf-life-aghl-gymnastics-night-june-1999/
Fear the pings...

I was a HPB for ages having got ADSL in 2005 after being lied to by C&W/NTL for years. During the latter years my dialup was close to LPB status due to the superb Diamond Supra 56k modem that was the best in it's class. Still got the

omg awesome modem i still got mine in my desk draw could never throw it out

gave nice ping's and download speeds (for 56k)

think it averaged around 6.5k-7k or something lol

Soldato
Wasn't it HPW and LPB? :)

It was a bit of both, HPW and HPB but I think HPB stuck more because it was only one letter (or rather word) that was different rather than two :)

During the latter years my dialup was close to LPB status due to the superb Diamond Supra 56k modem that was the best in it's class. Still got the blue bugger too.

I've still got mine as well, I just can't find where I've put the damn power supply! :cool:

I'm trying to remember my average.. think it hovered somewhere around 250-300. Manageable as long as it was steady and didn't spike, you got used to aiming a few feet in front of where other people were running to. Not so bad when using an instant hit weap like a rail, but when you mix up your arsenal with r/l's, shotgund and plasma weaps all having different velocity ammo..

I think my averages were around the 130 to 150 mark. I might have some old screenshots buried somewhere on some ten year old hard drives if I'm lucky :)

Man of Honour
[timko];14218233 said:
It was a bit of both, HPW and HPB but I think HPB stuck more because it was only one letter (or rather word) that was different rather than two :)

I've still got mine as well, I just can't find where I've put the damn power supply! :cool:

I think my averages were around the 130 to 150 mark. I might have some old screenshots buried somewhere on some ten year old hard drives if I'm lucky :)

Ah...sounds about right /re the HPW/HPB thing :)

My modem pings were similar eventually. Though I think I could manage 110 using BT dialup and the wireplay servers... at 4am in the morning. Fun times :)

Associate
I used to play my tfc clan matches on Barry's world. I also used Jolt / Blueyonder for regular games. With tfc I think Royston Vasey is still up, although it turned rather spammy the last time i was there.

Soldato
Stretching it back a bit, was minos powerd by barrys, the infamous q2 server.. happy days there reguardless.

Mplayer, my first online experience, commando's, followed by hooking up q2 online.

few months later i found barrys 12 player dm server, it was downhill from there in:)

Props to bw though for hosting probaly the best tfc servers at the time, exelent regular guys, great custom map server.

Shame it worked out the way it did in the end, but they tried everything to keep it alive and following with the times, just didn't work out.

A loss to everybody who got into onliners back in the 90's, barrysworld was there about's for everybody, if you were a wireplay/force9/clara/nildram or whatever, you used a bw server somewhere down the line.

Back
Top Bottom