• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone switching from x99 -> Ryzen?

Soldato
This could be mostly pointless but just wondered if anyone else is considering doing this?

The only point i can see is the upgrade path, that is if they keep using the same socket for the new CPU's. Then Intel has Coffeelake later this year, i wonder which will be better overall.. hmm.

Associate
tbh even with the possible upgrade path, you'd be better off waiting for that to manifest. Assuming the zen version 2 or 3 is better than what x99 now is offering, buy it then. Seems like even best case what they are currently showing is just a side grade.

Soldato
Surely the issue here is cost... what someone will have paid for a new X99 build and what they'd get for that second hand now, plus obviously what a new Ryzen build will set them back... must be the definition of financial stupidity? You'll lose money and come out with the same performance lol!

Soldato
Surely the issue here is cost... what someone will have paid for a new X99 build and what they'd get for that second hand now, plus obviously what a new Ryzen build will set them back... must be the definition of financial stupidity? You'll lose money and come out with the same performance lol!

I agree. If rumoured Ryzen pricing and perf are correct, the X99 price will crash on second hand market. And at the new parts market, either Intel will chop prices next week, or going to see miniscule sales if any at all.

Soldato
I agree. If rumoured Ryzen pricing and perf are correct, the X99 price will crash on second hand market. And at the new parts market, either Intel will chop prices next week, or going to see miniscule sales if any at all.

Exactly my thinking... will be frustrating for those who've spent a ton on Broadwell-E builds to see their value slashed overnight, but that's all but inevitable now. And as you say, Intel will see sales plummet if they don't alter their pricing structure... assuming Ryzen delivers of course.

Associate
Does that really make sense? So far it looks like Ryzen is of comparable performance to x99 but at a lower cost. So it really wouldn't be much of an upgrade - it makes most sense for people who want more cores who don't have them already.

Soldato
X99 is a better workstation platform, 8 DIMM slots, Quad channel, 40 PCI-e lanes and supports Xeons so can drop in a 24 core CPU. I will be upgrading my 4790 Z97 rig to a Ryzen but will still use my X99.

Associate
I won't be moving away from x99 any time soon.

I don't need any more performance.

If I do I'm hoping that ryzen reduces prices and makes any future upgrade better value, but I don't need it at the moment.

Soldato
As above it would be a pointless upgrade for most, if not a sidegrade. For me certainly, my 5930k is plenty enough and the extra PCIE lanes makes it again worth while. Being able to run both my cards at 16x as well as a soundcard.

Sure bring on the lower prices. But I wont be upgrading for a good while yet.

Associate
Not switching from X99 but considering X99 or Ryzen for a new workstation. Currently favouring X99 because of extra DIMM slots, quad channel, more PCI-e lanes etc. Been holding off to see what impact Ryzen has on prices of CPUs like the 5930k or 6850k

Associate
Not a chance, i've been over the moon with my x99 setup, if anything i'll take advantage of the second hand prices and pick up a 5960x or a 6900k.

However even that will be overkill, in my opinion everything since sandy (overclocked ofc) is plenty for pc gaming, modern games don't need the power yet and i'm not talking about poorly optimised ports. If anything faster cpu's just allow developers to be lazy, i mean why optimise your game for multiple threads in this day and age ?.

Soldato
OP
Well I've had my 5820k almost 2 years now, so a side grade wouldn't be much cop or worth the hassle really no. I'm curious where the next step should be though from x99. Maybe something in another year or 2 for most users already on this platform then?

Soldato
I have a 5820k, if Ryzen is absolutely stellar I might consider it. I have had some problems with this machine though.

Soldato
If Ryzen is as good as expected would there be much point buying X99 in the future? As far as I've read the extra memory bandwidth is academic as almost nothing uses it. So unless you want a multicard setup, which seems to be getting less and less support or a Xeon there isn't much point.

Back
Top Bottom