• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone switching from x99 -> Ryzen?

Soldato
Apparently the R7 1700 won't even reach 4 ghz, so it's kinda 'eh, whatever'. So for me, from a gaming-heavy perspective, it's not all that interesting vs 6800k. The six-cores they will bring out will be much more competitive I guess but I'm thinking it won't be any better than the broadwell-e if the 8-core is barely as good. So not worth thinking about. Slightly salty I guess, as is normal when the hype train is rushing along, but after the dust settles it won't matter.

Soldato
Not going to replace mine, done well with the lottery on my 5960x so got decent daily clocks on it. Will However pick up a Ryzen CPU to go in my HTPC to replace a 4960k to just have a Ryzen CPU to tinker with.

Associate
My 5820k is absolutely fine so no point.
But it's good to see AMD back.
They'll probably get my money for Vega.

(Unless I do a small form factor build, in which case I'll get Ryzen but keep my X99 system)

Soldato
As much as I would love to no.

I paid £320 for a 5820k nearly two years ago and recently bought a 2680 V2 8 core ES for my X79 rig so I am good to go. What I do want to see is this launch pushing core use etc, then I will be pretty much made :)

I did build a Phenom 2 X6 fully water cooled rig recently that I was all set to drop Ryzen into but then the 2680 V2 came along for £100. It's more than fast enough for day to day use (3.2ghz across all 8c 16t and it's based on Ivy, so plenty fast enough).

Associate
I will be doing an AMD build alongside my X99, and I was thinking about upgrading my X99 if Intel drop the prices then again I want 2 x M.2 slots so I'll think I will just wait for the new X299 chipset which should be coming August 2017..

Soldato
Wow i've just looked at this possibility and really no point

purchased september 2015
i paid £300 for my 5820k retail (todays price £398.99)
asus x99 deluxe £294 (todays price £399.95)

so i've had 17 months of use and parts are still £200 more expensive than when i purchased them. Are people actually paying £400 for a 5820K???

Associate
Like others have said really not much point in switching to Ryzen from X99. Good luck to AMD, bout time Intel took a licking. On a side point i do wonder what Intel will do with the 5820K/6800K since it looks like Ryzen effectively makes these CPU's redundant? That's redundant not obsolete. Anyone building a new system now though would be crazy to pick up a 6800K over a Ryzen R7.

Soldato
OP
Like others have said really not much point in switching to Ryzen from X99. Good luck to AMD, bout time Intel took a licking. On a side point i do wonder what Intel will do with the 5820K/6800K since it looks like Ryzen effectively makes these CPU's redundant? That's redundant not obsolete. Anyone building a new system now though would be crazy to pick up a 6800K over a Ryzen R7.
Have the 6 core chips even been benchmarked? I thought only AMD's 8 core vs an Intel 6 core has been shown so far and there's not a massive difference in it, i don't think they are redundant yet simply because of that.

Back
Top Bottom