• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone switching from x99 -> Ryzen?

Soldato
And crush AMD to a pulp for another decade. :p

By the time that launches end of the year or early next, AMD won't be far off Zen+, they're working on it already. If that lives up to another 10%+ performance improvement, Intel will still have competition, and would easily put Zen+ ahead of SL/KL thus ensuring competition continues.

Intel could suprise us and completely revolutionise thier price stack, but the likelihood is they will still want to charge a premium.

Caporegime
Look at the prices NOW. Not years ago. Intel is simply ripping people off. Obvious is obvious.

6950x = £1,623.98 = LOL

Chill out. This thread is about going from x99 to ryzen and i was explaining why for me it isnt worth it :confused:

The prices right now are fantastic compared with intels current x99 offerings.

Soldato
By the time that launches end of the year or early next, AMD won't be far off Zen+, they're working on it already. If that lives up to another 10%+ performance improvement, Intel will still have competition, and would easily put Zen+ ahead of SL/KL thus ensuring competition continues.

Intel could suprise us and completely revolutionise thier price stack, but the likelihood is they will still want to charge a premium.

Hopefully it keeps Intel prices down for future chips so that's a good thing.

Associate
Depends. 6800-6850K can out pace the 1700 quite easily in anything that isn't heavily multi-threaded, especially once overclocked. People need to lower their expectations a little.

Ryzen is stretched thin on the latter front already.
Based on what we've seen (which isn't much granted) it looks as if Ryzen is comparable in IPC with Broadwell-E. A £320 8-core 3.7GHz Ryzen CPU is much better value than a £429 6-core 3.8Ghz BW-E. I'm not saying that the 6800K/5820K CPU's are useless (very capable CPU's indeed), for folks that have one there's no need to change or get rid. It's just for new folks building a system today, the Ryzen will likely have better legs going forward not to mention offer better multithreaded performance out the gate.

Soldato
I'd need to see actual gaming performance but i'm leaning towards keeping my 5820k based on Ryzen pricing.

I mean don't get me wrong, against 6900/6950 pricing Ryzen is great. But looking at the cost to upgrade based on what I can sell for, then the probable performance gain, I expect i'll stick rather than twist.

Vega though, that's a whole 'nother proposition. :D

Associate
Sitting on a 2004 build AMD Athlon 64. 3200. :D:eek:

I'm just glad Intel has some competition as they were stagnating and able to do any price they wanted. I still think I will go Intel for the new machine when I can be arsed getting back into games again namely Elite. If the price now comes down across the board it’s a win win for CPU's.Glad AMD are back at the table and in the game again.

Soldato
Dont think there is too much of a point if anyone is already on z170, z270 or x99
I agree, looking at the benchmarks there really isn't anything to gain by it, except maybe some slight power savings. I only recently put together my Xeon system, and I expect it to last a long time, so I won't be going for Ryzen on my main box. If it supported registered RAM I might have been tempted to get a 1700 to replace my Xeon D-1540 server, but unsurprisingly it doesn't, so I'll have to see what the server equivalent of Ryzen looks like.

Associate
I'm considering it to replace my X79 build, 4930K. Starting to have instability issues with my RAM, so this is exacerbating my itch. Was already looking at X99 before Ryzen even entered my mind but glad I waited.

Associate
The only thing Intel are 'scared' about is how much they will have to gimp their products to satisfy a marginal 10% improvement over AMD across the board.

Soldato
I've had one of each SKU personally at home, best one I've got here 24/7 is a 6850K delid which does 4.5 @ 1.38v lol. Although all 4 managed to achieve rock bottom sub timings with good stability

Back
Top Bottom