• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone switching from x99 -> Ryzen?

Soldato
hmm sell me 2 year old+ setup at a knockdown price (Ryzen hype train in full effect!) with a CPU ([email protected]) that cost me sub 300 at the time to swap for a platform that's unlikely to be any better and in some respects is likely to be inferior (memory channels, max overclock obtainable vs Haswell-E/Broadwell-E?? etc).

Hmm nope don't think so

Caporegime
no you. would be crazy. going by the blender bench anything from a 5820k @4.4 or above will be as quick same as a 6800k at 4.2.seeing as most do that anyway its actually quite funny.you have the performance people are going to get for 2 years.:p

Soldato
If Ryzen is as good as expected would there be much point buying X99 in the future? As far as I've read the extra memory bandwidth is academic as almost nothing uses it. So unless you want a multicard setup, which seems to be getting less and less support or a Xeon there isn't much point.
The thing is, the 1% of people that actually make use of tri/quad channel RAM will still buy Intel as AMD don't have it, and the people who think it helps them when it doesn't wouldn't buy an AMD CPU anyway, so Intel will continue to make money off X99 even after Ryzen launches.

Associate
hmm but a faster cpu normally leaps ahead, even if its 200mhz ish?
but intel has retained huge market share even during the time when amd was just better (p3-p4 era)...

and the upgrade path for intel isnt great, can keep cpu heatsink maybe and ram perhaps.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I'm probaly going to build a Ryzen system alongside my X99. However, it's a lot of money just bin off.

Associate
If i did upgrade from my 5820K then it would probably be because of newer interface options on the motherboard such as USB 3.1 and faster SSD interface support.

Having said that i would love to put together a small form factor PC using one of the lower cost processors in a media system.

Associate
Really dosnt seem worth while, not that we have real world RYZEN benchmarks mind. But it's great that people are considering it. Competition again is only a good thing for us customers.

Soldato
PCI lanes is the sticking point. Needing 4 capture cards in a video rig kills the Ryzen dream. just hoping intel might drop their prices even a tiny amount.... I might be waiting a while.

Caporegime
based on those scores in that a 5820k ocd well and a 6800k reach same as a 1700.prices are literally £ for $ equation.

so 5820k/6800k for £329 performance if the single thread matches or gaming side matches up.if you have a 5820k.6800 no point as its the same point which if you brought at right price point has been a bargin unlike most intel chips.:p

only cpus you would look to change to are 1700x or above and thats only if the single thread gaming performance and gaming makes it worth while.

Associate
Nope. Unless you are one of those rare cases where extra cores are a worthwhile investment (as in rendering, encoding etc take up a significant portion of your time) then there's really no reason to side-grade. Sticking to my 6800K for the foreseeable future, it cost me about as much as a Ryzen 1700 (non-X) setup probably will, so I really wouldn't have gained anything genuinely useful. Besides, having quad-channel RAM feels gooooooood, albeit mostly useless. :D

Back
Top Bottom