Anyone tried the new Pepsi Recipe yet?

Rarely drink a high sugary drink these days, i've still got some American style soda in the fridge from a year ago. But i still think the sugar tax is just a joke, and disappointed that Pepsi have gone this way. I find Coke a bit gross, though out of the glass bottles it's alright.

I get all my pop from Aldi now. As own brand cheapo pop goes Aldis stuff is pretty damn good, and their knock off of Pepsi Max, in the blue label bottles, is the closest to the real stuff I have found. And at 47p for a 2l bottle compared to £1.75 it is a no brainer.

Will have to give that a shot as I do like some pepsi max.

Their pineapple crush aka lilt tastes just like the real thing. And only just before Christmas they bought out their fake fanta lemon which tastes just like fanta lemon.

I haven’t tried because I think Pepsi Max is better anyway, particularly cherry Pepsi max.

I liked Pepsi Max and didn't even realise it was a sugar free product until a long time later. Good work food scientists.

Screwing with sugar based recipes to make them sugar free under the exact same name has many flaws but for the sake of money they'd rather go with the deception of those flaws rather than launch a(nother) sugar free brand of pepsi.

Pepsi uk has buried the Pepsi brand underneath a thick layer of Pepsi Max: https://pepsi.co.uk/
:cry:

They know its an inferior product.

a glass of water FTW, or just a nice beer or wine. I never understood the need for drinking pure sugar with chemical ****. Tastes vile and is just needless calories.
Because if you were fed it as a kid or as a "treat" (god forbid) then that dopamine lays down some solid myelin pathways that you'll never break.. you literally hardwire yourself to the stuff

How do you differentiate the old and new ones?

Taste, they taste completely different the ONLY difference is the nutritional list on the can/bottle otherwise they look completely the same. Pretty scummy way of doing it as it was misleading caught me out.
Rarely drink a high sugary drink these days, i've still got some American style soda in the fridge from a year ago. But i still think the sugar tax is just a joke, and disappointed that Pepsi have gone this way. I find Coke a bit gross, though out of the glass bottles it's alright.

Tbh I don't really drink that much anymore but I did like the Soda stream can just make one when I feel like it and don't have to worry about a bottle going flat, normally just stick to squash. I don't really care about the sugar tax I get what it's for (I doubt it's actually used for that though) but just give me the damn choice on whether I want to pay it or not.

Last edited:
I never drink Pepsi anyway, and rarely drink fizzy drinks, but it's sad that everyone's being forced into these artificial sweeteners. On the odd occasion I want a fizzy drink, it's because I actively want the sugar hit, and enjoy the taste for a rare treat. I'm an adult, I should be able to choose to do that every now and again exactly how I can choose to put sugar in my tea once in a blue moon (e.g. if I'm particularly hungover and am washing down a nice salty bacon bap mmmm *drool* ).

We stopped buying Ribena once they moved their regular recipe to sugar-free (it was foul), and have on the odd occasion sent drinks back at bars/restaurants because they only have diet/sugar-free stuff on the pump. Yuck. I don't understand how people lap this sugar-free stuff up, you can smell the difference let alone taste it massively :confused: All the fatties that are convincing themselves it's better for you are ignoring the fact they act as appetite stimulants e.g. if you're used to getting a sugar/carb hit from a fizzy drink, and you drink a sugar-free drink in it's place, your brain is not actually satisfied by the drink (because it has no carbs), therefore you'll go off and snack anyway. Totally counterproductive.

I get really annoyed when I ask for a "pepsi" and get Pespi Max or other equivalent. Theres a bar near us that I asked for a full fat Coke and got Pepsi Max.... The Bartender didn't seem to like being told that is called Passing off, and can come with a £20k fine.

Last edited:
Of the various imitation soft drinks they do at Aldi it's only their version of Sprite which is a bit meh. All the others are spot on. Their Dr Pepper rip off is actually better than the real thing tbh, and their Lilt-a-like is indistinguishable.
Their Pepsi max cherry knock off is not great, has a bit of a root beery taste to it.

Their Pepsi max cherry knock off is not great, has a bit of a root beery taste to it.

They don't get that in at my local Aldi very often. I did get a bottle of it once and yeah, it had a more soury type cherry flavour, kinda like a black forest gateaux which I actually kind of liked, but yeah it is one the ones that is noticeably different to the original, that and the Sprite knock off.

The Bartender didn't seem to like being told that is called Passing off, and can come with a £20k fine.
I didn't know that. So you can shop them for giving you diet tat if you've asked for proper full fat stuff? Or is it just Coke/Pepsi swapping?

The SodaStream Pepsi has always been reduced sugar since launch. I tried switching to it from bottled Pepsi to reduce sugar intake and save cost, but they then hiked the price up to the same as the supermarket prices for full sugar.

Only advantage I can see from this is the reduced sugar version should have a lower rate on the sugar tax so would be cheaper than coke, but I doubt the shops would sell it much cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom