anyone used to play on Wireplay ?

Associate
Man than brings back some memories.

Used to play HL / TFC / CS and those massive phonebills. then i moved to ISDN for the sub 60ms pings im sure it was like £40 a month - call charges. I used to share the bill with my neighbour who hooked up a piece of RJ45 between our house's and in to my 2nd line so we had 64k each lol. Awesome days. Back then you would relish every minute playing online games because it cost soo much.

Soldato
jasoncb said:
did u play TA on msn zone? i played there for a ages several years ago and everyone knew each other. clans like doom/lord/rawdawg/BTU/TAA made a great community, and then sadly i moved to cs and community wise it was downhill from there.

I might of, honestly cant remember that far back, but if I did I wouldn't have been a regular, on WP I played with The Alliance, arch rivals of The Sundancers!

Caporegime
i remembered trying to play TFC on-line during the wireplay days, back when halflife first came out.

The netcode was so atrocious at the time it was just a slide show.

Was only later on they got the netcode to allow movement etc.. to occur clientside and just register interactions server side.

Associate
WP was awesome. i used to play Quake2 1v1 until the early hours every day. in fact, i still believe Quake2 is the best online experience going purely for all the dif jumps etc.

used to be in [CoG], [DFA] and [RsF]

good times...(apart from the phone bills hehe)

Associate
MrLOL said:
i remembered trying to play TFC on-line during the wireplay days, back when halflife first came out.

The netcode was so atrocious at the time it was just a slide show.

Was only later on they got the netcode to allow movement etc.. to occur clientside and just register interactions server side.

Haha, I remember there being a big hoo-haa when that was introduced, much grumbling about how much worse it was after!

Playing over a modem and worrying about pings was so much more fun :confused: :p

Soldato
DEL 707 said:
The name DEL 707 came into existance because of WP, oh so many years ago :p

Used to play Total Annihilation and Jedi Knight in the early days, then moved on to Half-Life and TFC later on, played for the ol' [BLITZ] boys :)

Omgooses I used to play TFC too and remember a lot of the old names, especially BLITZ. We had a number of games. I also remember DSH, SHS, TPC, and a whole bunch of others. I was in a Clan called MAI. We weren't big in the leagues or anything but had loads of fun playing TFC anyway. I think the most famous player I can remember from the old WP days was [SHS]Edge, although there were loads of others. I remember watching some of Edge's conc vids. They were amazing, especially the one where he conced across the room in Well and grenaded the grate as he flew past, then grabbed the flag and the door would pop from the gren blast and he'd conc back to the elevator. Oh man those were the days :)

Wireplay is still going a little, but it is a shadow of it's former self. I actually went to London to visit the offices of Wireplay in it's prime, got to meet Amok, one of their server admins :)

Last edited:
Soldato
VaderDSL said:
Loed Wireplay :) also loved my Diamond Supra Express 56k modem :D best modem ever!!

Oh my god I remember the Supra Express 56k. I actually still have two of them, I remember buying a spare just in case the main one blew in a thunderstorm lol. They were the best damn modems around, and there was a special tweak guide by a guy called Slime that allowed you to get your ping down to something seriously stupid. I remember having pings of around 120ms when dialled up to the WP network lol. Oh man the phone bills. And the pain-staking wait until after 6pm just so that you could play in the off-peak cost period lol. Those were the good days :)

I started out on Wireplay on a 33.6k modem! I remember how bad the lag was on my first ever game of Well in TFC. I stepped outside the main door, the PC froze for a bit, and then I was dead. Some flooky sniper shot my head off lol. I used to hate those red dots :p

B&W

B&W

Soldato
ahh barrysworld and wireplay. I used to have a poor modem so I bought a diamond supra express 56k external one. I was forbidden from playing after 12, and when dialling up the modem made that ringing kinda staticy noise so I had to be careful when dialling up otherwise they'd wake up..

So what I used to do was turn the toilet light on (this would cause the extractor fan to come on), flush the toilet run back to my pc and press connect. :p

The toilet cancelled out the noise of the modem dialling and I could play for hours. good old days lol.

Man of Honour
I remember Wireplay & BW very well. I used to help out about that time with a rival company called MPZ.

I played under the tag of [BiZE] and later into =FFS, RA (/hugs Del), UKLA etc.

Soldato
CHokKA said:
Oh my god I remember the Supra Express 56k. I actually still have two of them, I remember buying a spare just in case the main one blew in a thunderstorm lol. They were the best damn modems around, and there was a special tweak guide by a guy called Slime that allowed you to get your ping down to something seriously stupid. I remember having pings of around 120ms when dialled up to the WP network lol.

Had a Supra Express as well and I remember Slime, I tried every guide under the sun trying to get my ping down, but in all honesty I had no idea what I was doing :p

God how I loathed those LPB's!
LPB's, that's not a term u hear used very often these days ;)

Soldato
J0hnb0y said:
WP was awesome. i used to play Quake2 1v1 until the early hours every day. in fact, i still believe Quake2 is the best online experience going purely for all the dif jumps etc.

used to be in [CoG], [DFA] and [RsF]

good times...(apart from the phone bills hehe)

What alias did you use m8?

I was always on the 1v1 servers till the early hours. I went by the alais {AL}][CeMaN and then changed to Sabotaj later on. I was such clans as COG, RV, AL, Z, LL.

Good times for sure.

:)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Gladil said:
I remember your name, I was in DSH when it first started up :)
Back in the day I went by the name Av2 and played soldier in defence.

LOL Hiya m8 many years since i saw that name, remeber chief wiggum and trauts ? they used to play in def too. Chief Wiggum was well known to be the best HW guy on wireplay TFC..

ahh the good old days :)

Soldato
Also I just read all the posts, people on about conc jumps and so on in TFC well get this.... I have a CD here in this rack I aint touched in years full of tfc vids. I might host em if people are interested, loads of conc jumps and tricks ;)

Associate
OP
To be honest, some of my best gaming days were on 56k, paying 1p a min just to play on wireplay plus the internet cost.

they dont know they're born these days with the 20mb connections... lol

Associate
OP
R5Rich said:
Also I just read all the posts, people on about conc jumps and so on in TFC well get this.... I have a CD here in this rack I aint touched in years full of tfc vids. I might host em if people are interested, loads of conc jumps and tricks ;)

yeah post em m8, might see a few peeps we know lol

Soldato
R5Rich said:

I'd be really interested to see some of those vids. I remember the old conc and rocket jump maps. They were completely awesome!

Back
Top Bottom