Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

Soldato
Because clearly your cat damaging goods is covered by normal warranty :confused:

No damage or marks to the router, it landed on cushion, was still working fine after.

I got a refund since it's under a month old, on TP Link VR900 now working great.

Reason for return was the random modem reboots(happened before the cat incident FYI) in log, not often but had me worried.

Last edited:
Associate
2 quick questions please:

1) In the log it I've got disconnected (modem hangup) but the timer doesn't reflect it. Is this DLM?

2) Anyone here on BT ADSL (non fibre) using this modem having disconnects? Thinking of using HH4 as modem only...

Soldato
2 quick questions please:

1) In the log it I've got disconnected (modem hangup) but the timer doesn't reflect it. Is this DLM?

2) Anyone here on BT ADSL (non fibre) using this modem having disconnects? Thinking of using HH4 as modem only...

From I've read it's an issue with this modem/router, yours is like this https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20160130040951051&board_id=11&model=DSL-AC68U&page=1&SLanguage=en-us .

Yes both general and DSL logs say you stay connected but it actually disconnects modem side for 30 seconds or so while its reconnects, I had it actually happen once while online and lost net connection for 30 secs or so.

So far my TP-Link VR900 is rock stable.

Associate
G.INP broken on Sky....again...

Thought I had fixed the G.INP problem with Sky FTTC, but it seems I was mistaken. After the DSL-AC68U crashed, and I reset it and flashed the firmware, it worked for a while...with G.INP enabled I had Fastpath on downstream. However, as the router had reset many times, my line had limited to 35Mbps and now it has settled on 40Mbps and with G.INP enabled I cannot get an IP number from Sky.

Back to the drawing board...

PS Is there a guide on getting the DSL-AC68U to work in router only mode, with a Huawei HG612 as the modem. I've had a quick go, without success.

Associate
From I've read it's an issue with this modem/router, yours is like this https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20160130040951051&board_id=11&model=DSL-AC68U&page=1&SLanguage=en-us .

Yes both general and DSL logs say you stay connected but it actually disconnects modem side for 30 seconds or so while its reconnects, I had it actually happen once while online and lost net connection for 30 secs or so.

Thanks. I really like the features of this ASUS but unfortunately it looks like ADSL modem performance is not good.

I've looked at other modem routers but none as feature rich as ASUS...

8 minutes DSL uptime over 30k CRC Down errors and counting...

Soldato
Thanks. I really like the features of this ASUS but unfortunately it looks like ADSL modem performance is not good.

I've looked at other modem routers but none as feature rich as ASUS...

8 minutes DSL uptime over 30k CRC Down errors and counting...

I can tell you the TP-Link VR900 is great alternative, uses Broadcom chipset and I have noticed the errors have dropped a lot over the Asus model, it may have a more basic GUI but its very easy to setup and you can basically forget about it once it's up and running, mine has not dropped connection yet, it comes with two USB ports as well(USB 2.0 and 3.0), LEDs you can turn off or on via the display.

Last edited:
Associate
I can tell you the TP-Link VR900 is great alternative, uses Broadcom chipset and I have noticed the errors have dropped a lot over the Asus model, it may have a more basic GUI but its very easy to setup and you can basically forget about it once it's up and running, mine has not dropped connection yet, it comes with two USB ports as well(USB 2.0 and 3.0), LEDs you can turn off or on on the display.

Sounds nice, I will do more research on this however really want to get the ASUS working as have spent some money on it...

I've now setup ASUS as router only with the HH4 as the modem. So far so good however I noticed I can't seem to get the speeds reported by HH4.

For example the HH4 is showing as connected at 8Mb down. When I run speed tests from clients connected to ASUS I rarely get 8Mb. More like 2-5 max.

I have traditional QoS active however I've ensure the PC I'm running the Speedtest on has the highest priority.
Can anyone advise?

edit: Ok it seems that using LAN Port 4 on HH4 improves things. Can anyone advise if I should completely disable UPNP on HH4 as I have it enabled on the ASUS?

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds nice, I will do more research on this however really want to get the ASUS working as have spent some money on it...

I've now setup ASUS as router only with the HH4 as the modem. So far so good however I noticed I can't seem to get the speeds reported by HH4.

For example the HH4 is showing as connected at 8Mb down. When I run speed tests from clients connected to ASUS I rarely get 8Mb. More like 2-5 max.

I have traditional QoS active however I've ensure the PC I'm running the Speedtest on has the highest priority.
Can anyone advise?

edit: Ok it seems that using LAN Port 4 on HH4 improves things. Can anyone advise if I should completely disable UPNP on HH4 as I have it enabled on the ASUS?

Well speed wise use this,http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/speed-checker , mine was spot on.

Associate
EIR VISION TV IRELAND STREAMING ON 3RD PARTY MODEM ROUTER

Snapshot_4_zpsmuvmabrt.jpeg

THIS IS MULTIROOM SETUP STREAMING TWO NETGEM BOXES AT THE SAME TIME.
Snapshot_3_zpsmruz6hj6.jpeg

NETGEM EIR VISION BOX
Snapshot_5_zpsnvmyvya3.jpeg

https://www.eir.ie/tv/

Last edited:
Soldato

Regarding my post above, my TP Link which is still rock stable(awesome modem/router).

I see the Asus DSL-AC68U still has the ethernet link down issue, ie latest post here https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20160229223327071&board_id=11&model=DSL-AC68U&page=1&SLanguage=en-us , shame would be a decent product apart from that main issue.

I still think it can be fixed with a firmware update, time will prove me right or wrong.

The main reason why I got mine exchanged for a TP Link, bit surprised Asus have not fixed that issue yet, not like it has only been out for a few months or so.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there an issue with your sync speed underclockers?
You appear to have a decent amount of remaining SNR, Appear close to the cab going by the attenuation, The max attainable is over the max you could get but you are only syncing at 51mbps?

Associate
Is there an issue with your sync speed underclockers?
You appear to have a decent amount of remaining SNR, Appear close to the cab going by the attenuation, The max attainable is over the max you could get but you are only syncing at 51mbps?

Apparently that is the way they stable the internet connection, I was at 71mbps, when i added the tv service only recently, The techies configured the downstream to that 51mbps, They do the same with every new tv service customers connection, i'm happy with the speed, i did not notice the change in broadband speed at my end, i can watch tv, use the internet like youtube, downloading, surfing, make phone calls all on the phoneline.

Associate
Regarding my post above, my TP Link which is still rock stable(awesome modem/router).

I see the Asus DSL-AC68U still has the ethernet link down issue, ie latest post here https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20160229223327071&board_id=11&model=DSL-AC68U&page=1&SLanguage=en-us , shame would be a decent product apart from that main issue.

I still think it can be fixed with a firmware update, time will prove me right or wrong.

The main reason why I got mine exchanged for a TP Link, bit surprised Asus have not fixed that issue yet, not like it has only been out for a few months or so.

hi, long time to come in here

regrading the issue with the link .. seems (hopefully) i find the issue :) ... why i am back here after long time ... is to ask the users having sudden burst of errors ... to do the same steps as post 7 and report back if still improvement or not ... worth to try :)

administration>system>wps button behaviour>click turn leds on/off>apply
Then press the wps button (by the side) about 2-3 seconds, so leds will turn off ... see if are sudden burst of errors ... never know may this fix the errors as well

Last edited:
Soldato
hi, long time to come in here

regrading the issue with the link .. seems (hopefully) i find the issue :) ... why i am back here after long time ... is to ask the users having sudden burst of errors ... to do the same steps as post 7 and report back if still improvement or not ... worth to try :)

administration>system>wps button behaviour>click turn leds on/off>apply
Then press the wps button (by the side) about 2-3 seconds, so leds will turn off ... see if are sudden burst of errors ... never know may this fix the errors as well

Thanks for the update, btw mine would drop every few days or so with the ethernet link down issue, killer issue if you was in gaming ie MMORPG like me and a healer for a group lol.

I was lucky mine was still within 30 days of new so got a refund and purchased the TP Link VR900 which has been great and no drop outs.

Real shame about the Asus DSL-AC68U because I would have kept mine if it was not for that "ethernet link down" issue, anyway I really hope Asus find the cause and fix for the other owners.

Last edited:
Associate
wow people praising tp link, who'd have thunk it. i remember back in the days you mention tp link in computer forums and you'd get ridiculed and asked to use it in the next bonfire and cash in the copper. but now people are loving these tp links.

Associate
Thanks for the update, btw mine would drop every few days or so with the ethernet link down issue, killer issue if you was in gaming ie MMORPG like me and a healer for a group lol.

I was lucky mine was still within 30 days of new so got a refund and purchased the TP Link VR900 which has been great and no drop outs.

Real shame about the Asus DSL-AC68U because I would have kept mine if it was not for that "ethernet link down" issue, anyway I really hope Asus find the cause and fix for the other owners.

well i understand how you feel ... no problem ... that trick may just mask the issue, will see what other users reporting ...

By the way new (beta for now) firmware with new dsl driver which seem good at my end

DSL-AC68U_3.0.0.4_378_9296-gabc50c8_DSL_1.0.3.3.trx
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/2304B461198C4EDEA4AE8B963E2AFB2F4

Security improvement:

- Upgrade lighttpd to v1.4.39.

New feature:

- Support 802.1Q VLAN tag in Ethernet WAN mode.

DSL:

- Enhance and fix Feedback > Diagnostic log capture related issues.

- Various Quick Internet Setup(QIS) enhancements.

- Fine tune DSL Log/ DSL Settings.

- DSL firmware updated: v1.0.3.3.

- DSL driver updated: v5.5.1.139.

- Fixed cannot sync up with ADSL2+ mode with certain Annex B DSLAM issue.

- Fixed ADSL2+ mode long loop extra sync time needed issue with certain DSLAM.

- Disable bitswap automatically in G.dmt mode for specific DSLAM.

- VDSL WAN (PTM) QIS manual setting list updated

Add Australia ISP, TPG (VLAN ID 2).

Add Australia ISP, Wondercom.

Add Australia ISP, iiNet.

Add Australia ISP, Internode.

Add Australia ISP, Varsity Internet.

Add Germany ISP, O2 (VLAN ID 12).

Add Germany ISP, QSC (VLAN ID 7).

Modify Thailand ISP, 3BB VDSL.

Add Thailand ISP, 3BB 15M/1.5M.

Add Switzerland ISP Swisscom.

- ADSL WAN (ATM) QIS manual setting list updated

Modify Thailand ISP, 3BB 10M/1M.

Add Thailand ISP, 3BB 15M/1.5M.

Others:

- Fixed OpenVPN related issues.

- Fixed Ethernet WAN port cannot be LAN port after disable Ethernet WAN mode issue.

Best regards,

Paul Lee

Back
Top Bottom