Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

Associate
I know of no other 'mainstream' OEM using the Mediatek xDSL chipset in a CPE product other than Asus. Maybe this is due to contractual agreements already in place but it kind of makes you wonder why. It's either a poorly implemented xDSL chipset or difficult to support via the firmware, either way something is terribly wrong.

Soldato
I know of no other 'mainstream' OEM using the Mediatek xDSL chipset in a CPE product other than Asus. Maybe this is due to contractual agreements already in place but it kind of makes you wonder why. It's either a poorly implemented xDSL chipset or difficult to support via the firmware, either way something is terribly wrong.

Asus seem to use Mediatek for a lot of their stuff. Is it not part of them in some way? Their tablets have mediatek chips in them too and again they are crap!

Soldato
I'm not so sure if it is down to a poor chip from mediatek. One report I read was that it was fairly highly regarded. I'm sticking with the poorly written firmware being the main cause.
Maybe they do have a contractual agreement with Asus. You are right in saying that there aren't many if any other devices using it.

Associate

There are a couple of older trendnet devices, though i think all their new FTTC/VDSL stuff is broadcom, with exception of the non 'AC' wireless stuff, which i think is infineon.

Associate
Update on my use of this router.

As a modem this really is a terrible device, but as a router it is probably the best domestic router I've ever used.

On the other hand my Sky Hub has truly awful routing functions, but the modem in it is truly superb, providing me a rock solid connection at the max connection I pay for (80 Down, 20 Up and no interleaved.

So I've now made the decision to run the two together and it's working great.

Shame Asus couldn't make the modem work on this as it has such potential.

Associate
I understand how you feel....before I gave up on mine I ran it with a BT OpenReach modem fed off a LAN port - and as you say the router is fine. Sad fact is though if you can't depend on the modem then the routing side is vastly overpriced, and slaving it off another device you are losing a lan port, and I think in your case dropping the connection speed between the Asus and Sky Hub down to 100MB from Gigabit. This probably won't have a practical impact, but what a messy solution when the whole point of the 68 is a "one box" solution.

Its a sad indictment - it looks like it will not get properly fixed, and the "N" devices seem to have similar issues. It's odd that it seems to work AOK for a select few, but for most it seems the perfect box on paper but not in practice.

Associate
@plaistowpaul
have you tried using it since the latest firmware? Dont forget though to Reset the device via the pin hole after updating.
try enabled ESNP also set Rx AGC GAIN Adjustment (VDSL) to High Performance.
I would love to know how you get on or anyone else thats willing to give this device another go.

Associate
@plaistowpaul
have you tried using it since the latest firmware? Dont forget though to Reset the device via the pin hole after updating.
try enabled ESNP also set Rx AGC GAIN Adjustment (VDSL) to High Performance.
I would love to know how you get on or anyone else thats willing to give this device another go.

The RX AGC GAIN how does this affect CRC errors? I am just worried about CRC as i seem to average about 50 an hour

Associate
none as far as i can tell, for me it increased sync to match that i was having with a hg612, CRC is not important as much as SES which gui does not display. Previously on hg612 i would get about 2000 CRC per day and that was fine.

Associate
none as far as i can tell, for me it increased sync to match that i was having with a hg612, CRC is not important as much as SES which gui does not display. Previously on hg612 i would get about 2000 CRC per day and that was fine.

My sync is already above what the HG612 gave me but i am going to let the router settle for a couple of days now but as long as it doesnt interleave me suddenly i wont have any complaints about this router!

Associate
Redbull2K - mine went back a while a go unfortunately, so unable to try again. I gave it a good go but rely on it heavily for work, so needed a stable set up. I'd still love a one box solution, but am on the AC87U with an OR modem now (its a Huawei) cabinet and all is well. I've learnt a fair bit following this thread, and had my AC68U quite early in the thread, sent logs to Asus, tried new settings, like many others.....but had to give up.

Soldato
Redbull2K - mine went back a while a go unfortunately, so unable to try again. I gave it a good go but rely on it heavily for work, so needed a stable set up. I'd still love a one box solution, but am on the AC87U with an OR modem now (its a Huawei) cabinet and all is well. I've learnt a fair bit following this thread, and had my AC68U quite early in the thread, sent logs to Asus, tried new settings, like many others.....but had to give up.

I suggest you try the new nighthawk D7000 when it is out. May be what you require?

Associate
Thanks - I invested the money refunded on the 68U on the 87U - so that will have to earn its corn before I think of anything else. I've no complaints at all with the 87U except the form factor. I'll keep my eyes and ears open, but when I get a new one-box solution it will be one that's had rave reviews for at least 6 months. I dived straight in on the 68U....once bitten twice shy!

Back
Top Bottom