Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

Soldato
I ditched my AC-56U as it kept crashing out constantly, I thought it was faulty. So I got the AC-68U, had it for a few months then ditched that as it had the exact same issue...

So I heard out the TP-Link Archer VR900 which came out circa July this year? It's a fantastic router that just works as it should, no wifi drop-outs, no loss of sync. I keep singing it's praises but it deserves it.

I think most people (I did for a few months) just keep hold of the ASUS as it was so almost there, great features, nifty little things it had and the UI was nice.

Yet firmware update after firmware update, they can't rectify simple issues that every other manufacturers deem trivial...
I'm looking to replace my current router, which is a D-Link DIR615 given to me by Virgin Media what seems like a decade ago. It supports 54 Mb/s and I have DD-WRT running on it but it needs rebooting like every other day to stay full speed and my girlfriend is annoyed at having 3 devices on top of each other (VDSL modem, router, gigabit switch).

I've looked at some proper routers and came across this Asus DSL-AC68U, the TP-Link Archer VR900, and the Netgear D7000. It seems a lot of people aren't happy with the Asus' VDSL performance....what about the other two? Any reason to pick one over the other?

Associate
New filmware adds Traffic Analyzer
Snapshot_1_zpsyio7vpdh.jpeg

Soldato
That sinking feeling when a family member who you've just installed a DSL-N66U for who's on DSL announces he's getting fiber later this month. I kind of hoped Asus would have fixed the VDSL issues by now, instead it looks like i'll have to hit the bay of thieves for a BTO modem :(

Last edited:
Associate
New firmware now officially available ...

ASUS DSL-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378_9212 (This product supports both Annex A and Annex B)
New features:
- Support ASUS router app which make it very easy to monitor and manage router status and client devices and more.
Search ASUS Router in Google Play or go to the following URL
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.asus.aihome
iOS app coming soon.
(Quick Internet Setup not available currently)
- Add Traffic analyzer.
- Add Reboot scheduler (Advanced Settings > Administration > System).
DSL:
- Add '4dB' option for Stability Adjustment (VDSL).
- Remove Rx AGC Gain Adjustment (VDSL) auto config setting(by DLA).

Bug fixes:
- [QIS] Fixed error WAN transfer mode setting if enable IPTV service.
- Fixed some diagnostic issues.
- Fixed error of internet icon and internet status.
- Fixed disconnect secondary wan incorrectly issue.
- Fixed OpenVPN client cannot connect without key-direction parameter issue.
- Fixed device icon on Windows Vista/7 Network Map cannot be displayed issue.
- Fixed bandwidth limiter issue after failover.

Others:
- Modify help description for Adaptive QoS quick setup mode.
- [QIS] Add ppp account setting note for specific Germany ISP.
- Extend FTP maximum connections to 10.

Associate
I tried that Asus app (for a different router) - and it would only work on WiFi which seemed a bit odd for a mobile app. I'd be most likely to use an app when away from home and using mobile data. Not looked too far into it - and its early days, but it looks like a damp squib to me.

Soldato
It probably has to be on the same network as the device. The netgear one is the same. You could setup a VPN on your mobile device to route traffic through your home network then use it?

Associate
yeah I'm sure your right, but if I'm on my home network I don't really need the mobile app....was hoping maybe for a remote-access capability which would have been handy. I suppose the app could be handy on a wifi tablet, (but not sure what it offers above the browser equivalent) but not a lot of use on a phone (for me anyway). No great loss, I've got this far without a router app.

Associate
Just as a matter of interest I have been extremely happy with this device
and Asus just seem to carry on improving the features.
I know I am on a Huawei DSLAM but even so I have never had such a stable line with any of my previous devices.
No downstream CRC errors in nearly 50 days since a lightning strike occurred.

yyK9-JPeBX1A-Nd5rFzYdQB9ZFnJJm2SdtRJNdUSQlg

Soldato
Some useful information here about alternative firmware upgrades and unlocking the Huawei modem (612). Did mine a while back (when I still had the DSL-AC68U). Was a doddle but not checked any stats for ages as everything is stable.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

People on ebay charge a premium for unlocked 612s, but its very simple to do it yourself.

You don't need an unlocked modem for it to work, the ECI changes hands for half the price (and can be unlocked/run DDWRT). If you do buy a 612 then aim to pay £15-20 ish delivered at most- don't pay the daft prices some are charging. It takes under 2 minutes to unlock from start to finish and is stupidly simple. My home set-up is an AC56U with an ECI for this reason, I have a 612 that I unlocked - line stats don't really make much difference when you get a rock solid 40/10.

Associate
You don't need an unlocked modem for it to work, the ECI changes hands for half the price (and can be unlocked/run DDWRT). If you do buy a 612 then aim to pay £15-20 ish delivered at most- don't pay the daft prices some are charging. It takes under 2 minutes to unlock from start to finish and is stupidly simple. My home set-up is an AC56U with an ECI for this reason, I have a 612 that I unlocked - line stats don't really make much difference when you get a rock solid 40/10.

Yes I have a Huawei and an ECI and they both work fine. The unlocking info was in response to a post asking about a modem with VDSL stats. Access to the stats is handy for troubleshooting only, not day to day use as it is still a kerfuffle.

Associate
im using the router app from my mobile away from home. just needs setting up.

Thanks that's interesting - I've uninstalled the app but might give it another go and try a bit harder. Out of interest did you have to VPN in to the router first, or can you connect via mobile data (using the DDNS I presume?) - Thanks.

DjP

DjP

Associate
Hi,
A quick bit of help if anyone is still monitoring this thread :)
My phone line has been completely out for a week and when Openreach reconnected the string between the tin cans the AC68U didn't automatically recognise my line and asked me to enter the details myself. When I picked Infinity 2 (which is what I have) and entered the BT user name (and a single space for password) it connected - sort of - but couldn't ping anything either a domain or public IP. When I set it up again using the other BT Infinity option (I think it said no VLAN ID) it works fine and connecting at a max of 94mbps down with an actual of 66999. Up is 19999 actual which is all good.

Anyone know why it didn't identify my line automatically and if the option I selected will cause any issues?

Thanks!

pkn

pkn

Associate
Hi guys,

I bought this router a few days ago. I have BT Infinity 2 and a home hub 5. My downstream speed was 79999 kbps with the home hub. On the Asus router it's only 73998 kbps. I have tried testing various DSL settings in router administration but the speed doesn't get any higher. Do I just need to wait a week or two for the speed to increase?

Back
Top Bottom