AOC Q3279VWF - FreeSync,VA,qHD 31.5 inch monitor for £249! (ONLY £199 AT OcUK FOR BLACK FRIDAY)!!

Associate
So how many are keeping and how many are returning?

I'm going to try it until Monday but i think it will be going back.

Same, more extensive testing (good excuse for gaming) over the weekend required, but don't think I can live with that ghosting/trailing images. Gutted...would have been the bargain of the century for me.

Associate
ANy ideas on what to go for instead? I was thinking of the 27" iiyama GB2783QSU-B1 G-MASTER Silver Crow, Freesync, 60Hz, 2560x1440, TN, 1ms

maj

maj

Soldato
Seems like I'll be better holding off getting this for now then, even at its current price. Maybe future drivers will solve some of the problems with it.

Soldato
Bit difficult now, I was set to buy this. I'm not a heavy gamer, but I owned a TV that had ghosting, not sure if lcd or plasma (samsung) and it was horrid, side strafing and you could see grey trail left behind objects.

Not sure what even is available to buy, certainly not at £200. Maybe cheap TN? Who cares about colour accuracy at least they don't have trails, and backlight is even.
Next jump would be £500+ maybe the 27" or 32" 1440p samsung TV, which I believe are fast VA panels.

Or the Samsung 34" 1440P UW, but FPS will suffer with my 480

Don't think IPS is a good idea, unless settle for the cheap 29" LG flat ultra wide, which is about £250.

Soldato
Don't know whether I've been lucky, but mine has no noticeable ghosting at all, really pleased with it and gaming in 2k is awesome
It's more to do with the games you play and how lighting effects or textures are rendered over dark areas. You won't see it too much in something like FIFA/forza or a game with high levels of lighting. Play Prey, Dishonored 2, Bf1 and it's Def there.

Associate
Been playing BF1, Wolfenstein 2 and Elite Dangerous and no ghosting to be seen!

This is what makes me think some of the panels have faults, there is no way mine should have been sold with how bad it ghosts on everything. OC support say it looks like a limitation on the panel...

Associate
This is what makes me think some of the panels have faults, there is no way mine should have been sold with how bad it ghosts on everything. OC support say it looks like a limitation on the panel...
Agree, because mine is fine and others have posted earlier that theirs are too. Would different graphics cards that people use make any difference, im running a sapphire vapour x r290x?
Guess one way to tell would be to post videos of the same game/video to tell the differences between everyone's monitors!!

Associate
Agree, because mine is fine and others have posted earlier that theirs are too. Would different graphics cards that people use make any difference, im running a sapphire vapour x r290x?
Guess one way to tell would be to post videos of the same game/video to tell the differences between everyone's monitors!!

I use it on a 8G Saphire RX480 NITRO+

Unfortunately i unistalled BF1 last week and not going to re download to see how that runs, PUBG, pes 2018 and rocket league are the games i will be using it for most, the racing games i play are on oculus so they are not a problem.

Soldato

Sure maybe me need to test more games and confirm we are all using the same calibration and osd settings.
Are you using hdmi, do or DVI ?
What settings are you using in your monitor osd?
Have you calibrated the display or at least used an Icc profile like Pcm has provided?
The monitor in stock mode is very cloudy and dull, once calibrated it pops and clarity blacks and shadow and colours are transformed.
This darkens the screen and maybe wondering if this causes the slow response to be seen more.

I have Wolfenstein gamma set to 65 in game and generally the first 5-10 mins in the ship the ghosting is very minimal due to the way the lighting is rendered.
If I test it in stock monitor mode and uncalibrared profile there is hardly any due to the over dull cloudiness.

If you try dishonored2 this game seems to be the worst though.
Hitman generally is very good, with slight.
I'm wondering if it's Dishonored and the way the pixel grain is incorporated has a side effect with this panel?

Associate
Either mine isn't anywhere near as bad as others are experiencing, or I am just not particularly sensitive to it as I don't really notice ghosting. Sure if I REALLY look I can see a bit but nothing significant.

Perhaps it's the game(s) I am playing but given I play StarCraft II about 99.9% of my gaming time then I'm not too worried as it's fine.

Associate
Sure maybe me need to test more games and confirm we are all using the same calibration and osd settings.
Are you using hdmi, do or DVI ?
What settings are you using in your monitor osd?
Have you calibrated the display or at least used an Icc profile like Pcm has provided?
The monitor in stock mode is very cloudy and dull, once calibrated it pops and clarity blacks and shadow and colours are transformed.
This darkens the screen and maybe wondering if this causes the slow response to be seen more.

I have Wolfenstein gamma set to 65 in game and generally the first 5-10 mins in the ship the ghosting is very minimal due to the way the lighting is rendered.
If I test it in stock monitor mode and uncalibrared profile there is hardly any due to the over dull cloudiness.

If you try dishonored2 this game seems to be the worst though.
Hitman generally is very good, with slight.
I'm wondering if it's Dishonored and the way the pixel grain is incorporated has a side effect with this panel?

I've gone through the Pcm osd settings and used the icc profile and am running on a dp at 75hertz, i've come from an old iiyama prolite e2409HDS which was cheep as chips but didn't ever get any ghosting for me to even notice and say 'ooh theres some ghosting' :)

Will give it the weekend and decide on Monday.

Associate
(((The system has detected a problem with the connection between your computer and the DisplayPort display that will prevent you from using the highest resolutions and/or refresh rates. For more information, click on "Help".)))

any idea why this keep on happening every time i reboot pc ? resolution stays the same but refresh rate drops from 75Hz to 60Hz & i can no longer select 75Hz

just happened again !!! seems like display port can't do 75hz only 60hz

Soldato
just happened again !!! seems like display port can't do 75hz only 60hz
You might want to try a different DisplayPort cable. They can be incredibly finicky at higher resolutions and refresh rates. Out of the four I have, only one will reliably do 1440p above 60Hz.

Associate
I am just setting mine up but I don't have image on my screen, the only button that seems to work is the power. Tried both display port and hdmi cable, all I see is a black image. Any suggestions?

Can someone check if you're meant to be able to use the menu if haven't connected the monitor to any devices?

It says generic PnP Monitor in the devices (I can see this my from old monitor).

Last edited:
Associate
You might want to try a different DisplayPort cable. They can be incredibly finicky at higher resolutions and refresh rates. Out of the four I have, only one will reliably do 1440p above 60Hz.

good point even though i'm using the one came with the monitor ( AOC Quality ) !! i will buy one & test. thanks

Associate
Just played BF4 and it was flawless, infact it was blooming brilliant !! Gutted about the dark graphics problems as everything else about the monitor is awesome!

Soldato
Just played BF4 and it was flawless, infact it was blooming brilliant !! Gutted about the dark graphics problems as everything else about the monitor is awesome!

I know I've posted a few 50/50 opinion posts with videos. I've given it a few days and my opinion will be the same. It's a very good monitor and so close to being the best monitor at it's price point. I was watching Mr Robot on Amazon and it looked brilliant, it's just the dark pixel response in one game so far that's let's it down for me, other games it's barely noticeable.. I won't be sending mine back this will be my new bedroom screen. In the meantime I'll game on my 24" IPS but I think I going to try a Lg 27ud58-b or something very similar after Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom