Aorus Owner's Lounge

Associate
No onboard switching, but battery life is pretty bloody good.

I looked at the manufacturer costs vs aftermarket costs for adding SSD's and think I'm going to add 2 x Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB drives myself.

in raid0 ?

if so let us know what speeds you get as they will be insane in raid0 . why not just 2x512GB SM961 ? in real world you wont notice the speed but damn you will on the wallet MiSJAH .

Associate
in raid0 ?

if so let us know what speeds you get as they will be insane in raid0 . why not just 2x512GB SM961 ? in real world you wont notice the speed but damn you will on the wallet MiSJAH .

SM961 512GB £207.49
960 EVO 500GB £209.65

Only a couple of quid difference.

RAiD0 all the way.

:cool:

Associate
SM961 512GB £207.49
960 EVO 500GB £209.65

Only a couple of quid difference.

RAiD0 all the way.

:cool:

Thats a good price on the 960 evo but do you trust that seller as i can only find that price with 1 seller who has no stock but 1 on the way .. let me know how you get on with that seller and i will purchase also i will get 3 x 2 for laptop and 1 for main PC .

will be insane speeds .

£229.98 is the best price i trust unless you got price match done . for the £209.65+postage

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Thats great. Kinda settles it for me on what laptop to buy right now, only trouble is I'm expecting kaby lake and refreshed model type announcements at the CES show this week. Thunderbolt would be a nice addition too. Would like to wait to see what comes from the show seeing as its so close now.

Does your X5 support onboard graphics switching or is that disabled with the 120hz screen like the X7 too?

@Atom80, Happy New Year, hope you had a good break (assuming you had one!) What are the chances of offering people the chance to configure ssd sizes etc? I understand for Aorus that you have to fit 256gb drives to keep costs down to shift units but with bulk purchasing I'd be surprised if you weren't able to secure higher capacity ssd drives at competitive rates. I don't see that a 256gb SSD on a gaming laptop is sufficient right now. I installed the Witcher 3 from the steam sale last week and it was 32gb alone! Yes of course the consumer can buy a separate ssd and install it themselves but tbh that works out to be more expensive and more hassle than it needs to be. Perhaps you may be able to come to some arrangement with OcUK to allow them to perform the swap/new OS+software install on your behalf!

Hi JimboJet,

In answer to your question - we are happy for end users to open machines and install their own ssd without voiding warranty,,,,, we have recently tended to just install 1 x 256GB or 1 X512GB to give a bit of variation on spec, and keep costs down, but of course we are driven by end user feedback and demand - ie, we can of course spec a "beast" maybe as an OCUK exclusive and utilise all three bays......

OcUK, or any other re-seller generally don't "want" to perform this type of upgrade / tweak, but of course this could be discussed with them directly to see if the will offer the service.

We will discuss with them during CES :eek:

Hope that answers and makes sense :)

Yes, a bit of break thanks, but never completely power down !

Hope you have a great 2017 :cool:

Regards,

Atom80

Associate
Its all laptops with the 17" 120hz G-sync 2560x1440 display. AUO is the manufacturer and there is an issue with their production. I'm not certain the 15" panels have the same trouble, perhaps worth getting someone to verify.

Associate
CES New Aorus Laptops

CES 2017 Aorus/Gigabyte release:

Ok so new version 7 x5 and x7 with 4k displays and Kaby Lake i-7820hk just announced for spring this year:

image13.jpg

auros02.jpg

And: "The final version of the newly updated Aorus range will be the X9 and will debut at some point after Computex later this year. It’s expected to have SLI linked GTX 1080 Tis, potentially making it the most powerful gaming laptop in the world when it shows up."

xaurosx902-300x225.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ytcIfSUxkH.webp

Images and quote linked from kitguru, hope that's within forum rules etc.

Also: Congratulations to Aorus. "AORUS X5 Claims the 2017 CES Innovation Award with Back-to-Back Wins."

http://www.aorus.com/News/Document?nwid=406

@Atom80 Nice progress, good to see thunderbolt being added now. Will the X5 have a 120hz 2560x1440p screen option? I'm not keen on 4k on a 15.6" machine nor am I convinced that a single 1070 is sufficient to push 4k pixels to decent frame rates in the latest titles at high/ultra settings.

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
They look nice :D but somewhat large

Any news on a new x3? OR if more stock of the x3 v6 will be available anytime soon.

Hi sysrape,

Yes X3 Plus with Kabylake is coming in the next couple of weeks - assume the spec card would probably be on KitGuru also as they viewed all machines with us yesterday.

There are a few V6 units in the market still, well there was on Monday anyway... unfortunately all OCUK stock sold on pre-order....

Hope that helps..

Regards,

Team AORUS

Soldato
Praying that the X7 DT v7 uses a different 120Hz panel (assuming there are other 17" 120Hz panels to choose from?) or AUO fix their existing ones...

Atom80 - could you update us if you find out any info on that please? That's the only thing that's stopping me pulling the trigger! :D

Associate
Same pretty much.

Also Atom80, can you give us some indication of when the x5 and x7 version 7's will be released/available to purchase?

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Praying that the X7 DT v7 uses a different 120Hz panel (assuming there are other 17" 120Hz panels to choose from?) or AUO fix their existing ones...

Atom80 - could you update us if you find out any info on that please? That's the only thing that's stopping me pulling the trigger! :D

Same pretty much.

Also Atom80, can you give us some indication of when the x5 and x7 version 7's will be released/available to purchase?

Hi folks,

News from the mothership is that AUO have submitted samples from their production runs and the problem has now been solved. As mentioned before, the issue has affected all notebook vendors as this is the only supplier making the 120Hz panel with QHD resolution.

Its not affected all panels and individual customers have their own levels of tolerance to something like this.

So far we haven't had customers come back to us reporting issues in the UK, so fingers crossed it stays that way.

Regarding AORUS products with Kabylake CPU, as soon as they are ready we have them set up for pre-order with OCUK and other partners.

Hope that clarifies.

Any Q's let us know,

Regards,

Team AORUS

Associate
I have to say that the X7 DT v6-CF1 has been pretty awe-inspiring since I flashed it up last week. Some comments

1. Noise level is pretty good, however if I am gaming I use Bose noise-cancelling buds.
2. The screen is okay, and absolutely awesome for gaming, but not as good for still images as the the IPS display on my previous laptop. In certain non-gaming circumstances I notice the horizontal lines, but less and less as I get used to it.
3. I fitted a Samsung SM961 Polaris 1TB. It works flawlessly
4. The Killer driver and performance suite is awful. I just get constant dropouts. I have tried multiple installs and latest driver-only package to no avail. Just using the windows default works fine.

AND the keyboard is awesome!!

Also great service from Atom and OC. I notice your main competitor, S!!n just put their price up.

Associate
Hello,
I have an Aorus x5 which was purchased from OCUK and I have been using it for over a year. It had been serving me well without any trouble apart from a screen bleed which Atom80 told me is normal so I can live with that.
Recently, After a dead battery, it is not booting up. I have tried plugging it in, tried different power sockets, resetting CMOS as instructed on Aorus forums but it will not power up. The fans do not spin, just a blinking Aorus power button with a blank screen. The power led do show up as connected but nothing onward from that point.
Any ideas what to do next?
The support on this forum has been great in the past hence I am posting the issue here. :)
Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hello,
I have an Aorus x5 which was purchased from OCUK and I have been using it for over a year. It had been serving me well without any trouble apart from a screen bleed which Atom80 told me is normal so I can live with that.
Recently, After a dead battery, it is not booting up. I have tried plugging it in, tried different power sockets, resetting CMOS as instructed on Aorus forums but it will not power up. The fans do not spin, just a blinking Aorus power button with a blank screen. The power led do show up as connected but nothing onward from that point.
Any ideas what to do next?
The support on this forum has been great in the past hence I am posting the issue here. :)
Thank you for your help.

Hi w4r_m4chine,

We have sent your issue to our technical team to see if there is any assistance they can give to you, it does sound like it needs to be sent in to our service partner for analysis and repair, but lets see if we can get anything from techies before you do this. We hope to get reply overnight and will post as soon as we hear back.

One Q: - after battery went "dead" have you pugged in and left on charge for a decent period of time to ensure there is some juice on board?

Fingers crossed and sorry to hear of this issues.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Associate
Hi w4r_m4chine,

We have sent your issue to our technical team to see if there is any assistance they can give to you, it does sound like it needs to be sent in to our service partner for analysis and repair, but lets see if we can get anything from techies before you do this. We hope to get reply overnight and will post as soon as we hear back.

One Q: - after battery went "dead" have you pugged in and left on charge for a decent period of time to ensure there is some juice on board?

Fingers crossed and sorry to hear of this issues.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Yes, I plugged it in for few hours and the charging light showed that battery is being charged. But still no power up.
Btw, I removed bottom screws and tried to reset the CMOS as shown in AORUS forums. Does that voids the warranty with AORUS?
I have never installed any SSD, or RAM upgrades in the past.
Regards

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Yes, I plugged it in for few hours and the charging light showed that battery is being charged. But still no power up.
Btw, I removed bottom screws and tried to reset the CMOS as shown in AORUS forums. Does that voids the warranty with AORUS?
I have never installed any SSD, or RAM upgrades in the past.
Regards

Hi w4r_m4chine,

OK. No you wont void warranty by simply opening chassis, or by installing SSD, ram, HDD etc, just ensure you don't cause damage as this obviously will void warranty.

One suggestion from technical team is to remove both (all) your ram modules from the dimm slots, re-seat them and see if that makes a difference.

If that has no effect then we believe it will need to come into us for analysis,

Let us know,

Regards,

Team AORUS

Associate
hey guys .
iv'e got an aorus x3 plus v3 cf2 . it will be two years old next month ...
when i first opened the box i thought wow lovely , but quickly found the noise too intrusive and the temps worrying for me . so all in all its sat in a cupboard for pretty much the last 20 months ... anyway on point just before christmas i decided to get it out and use it .
i have been playing battlefield 1 on it super pretty and lovely and smooth , but the temps are very high for what i,d like cpu gets high 90s and gpu high 80s ... is this kinda normal ????
anyway a question for aorus rep i,m currently looking for a new laptop ...
are the temps any better on the new x3 or maybe the new x5,s ????

Associate
Hi w4r_m4chine,

OK. No you wont void warranty by simply opening chassis, or by installing SSD, ram, HDD etc, just ensure you don't cause damage as this obviously will void warranty.

One suggestion from technical team is to remove both (all) your ram modules from the dimm slots, re-seat them and see if that makes a difference.

If that has no effect then we believe it will need to come into us for analysis,

Let us know,

Regards,

Team AORUS

Hi, I am not very confident in doing that. Instead I would like that your technical department can have a look at the issue. Apart from not powering up, the screen has bleeding in the bottom left corner. and the hinges make clicking noise when opened/closed.
Regards

Back
Top Bottom