*** Apple Event Tuesday 8th March 2022 @ 18:00 UK: 'Peek Performance' ***

Caporegime
I actually planned to get an iPad Mini or Air this week, couldn't decide between the 2 and thought the Mini edge it for the A15 chip…now it's a no brainer to get the Air.

Also, interesting that the Studio needs to be that thick, I would have thought the existing Mac Mini have enough cooling for it, it did for an Intel chip and the M1 can run without a fan.

Soldato
They discontinued the 27" iMac. People thought that the 24" was replacing the 21.5" and they'd be a 30" or something to replace the 27" but it looks now like they just met in the middle and the new iMac is just the sole all-in-one.

Just a beefier Mac Mini (always left last like the runt of the litter) and Mac Pro to go then!

Soldato
They discontinued the 27" iMac. People thought that the 24" was replacing the 21.5" and they'd be a 30" or something to replace the 27" but it looks now like they just met in the middle and the new iMac is just the sole all-in-one.

Just a beefier Mac Mini (always left last like the runt of the litter) and Mac Pro to go then!
I still think their will be a bigger pro iMac but bigger then 27. Maybe this will sit above Mac mini and offer the same offerings as the studio.

Soldato

All rumours suggested that the new larger iMac is still coming, just not today.

Caporegime
You use to be able to get an 27" iMac (Apple screen, webcam) for £2k like the one i am using now. Now it's £1500 just for the basic screen and there is no computer…For the equivalent tier of computer, in terms of what is on offer, it cost double than what I paid last time. That said….A separate screen is good, meaning I can carry it towards the next computer.

But probably money better spent getting a LG or something instead. £1500 for a screen is insane.

Soldato
You use to be able to get an 27" iMac (Apple screen, webcam) for £2k like the one i am using now. Now it's £1500 just for the basic screen and there is no computer…For the equivalent tier of computer, in terms of what is on offer, it cost double than what I paid last time. That said….A separate screen is good, meaning I can carry it towards the next computer.

But probably money better spent getting a LG or something instead. £1500 for a screen is insane.

The 27" iMac was always a great deal. Upgradeable RAM and CPU (and SSD in some models), basically allowed us to buy the cheapest base model and upgrade it ourselves. Those days are gone.

I'm pretty sure when Apple releases the new larger iMac it will be a very high end product. The 24" iMac is now in the £1200-1800 range.

Caporegime
The 27" iMac was always a great deal. Upgradeable RAM and CPU (and SSD in some models), basically allowed us to buy the cheapest base model and upgrade it ourselves. Those days are gone.

I'm pretty sure when Apple releases the new larger iMac it will be a very high end product. The 24" iMac is now in the £1200-1800 range.

Pretty much, put money into the CPU and GPU, just enough SSD space for the OS and apps. Upgrade Ram for like 1/3rd what Apple charges, all data on external Thunderbolt. That's usually my way to get best bang for buck.

One thing I like about Apple screen is that it's glossy, I don't sit near a window so there is no glare, I find glossy screen better for photo editing, colours pop and more true compared to a matt screen which has this washed out look.

(I wonder how long i can make this 2012 iMac last before I upgrade. I use the Mac Mini at work and although capable, I've hit some beachball moments.

Soldato
Pretty much, put money into the CPU and GPU, just enough SSD space for the OS and apps. Upgrade Ram for like 1/3rd what Apple charges, all data on external Thunderbolt. That's usually my way to get best bang for buck.

One thing I like about Apple screen is that it's glossy, I don't sit near a window so there is no glare, I find glossy screen better for photo editing, colours pop and more true compared to a matt screen which has this washed out look.

(I wonder how long i can make this 2012 iMac last before I upgrade. I use the Mac Mini at work and although capable, I've hit some beachball moments.

The good thing about your 2012 iMac is that it supports target display mode. You can use it as a monitor for any computer.

Soldato
If you compare the new display to the Dell UP2720Q (which is about the same price) it doesn’t look too expensive considering Apple Tax.

I was planning on getting the new bigger iMac when it came out, but a base Studio upgraded to 64GB RAM and three Dell U2723QE is quite tempting.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Something else to consider is the 24” iMac screen isn’t miles away from the 27” now due to the higher 4.5k resolution. I find the 24” an excellent size.

Caporegime
If you compare the new display to the Dell UP2720Q (which is about the same price) it doesn’t look too expensive considering Apple Tax.

I was planning on getting the new bigger iMac when it came out, but a base Studio upgraded to 64GB RAM and three Dell U2723QE is quite tempting.

True, and honestly, if i can get 10 years use out of it like this one, it'll be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom