• Yes

Votes: 146 33.1%
  • No

Votes: 295 66.9%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Glad I gave some advice to someone :)

Are you also using OneDrive?

Incidentally, I would be grateful for any people who have contemplated the 11" and went with 12.9"?

I use OneDrive on the iPad and its really good, although I tend to access it via a 3rd party file app (File Browser) which I can access all of my Cloud Services (iCloud, OneDrive, GDrive, etc) through along with mapped Local NAS and Sharepoint.

It also lets me create folders and save files locally with no dramas, yes its still a bit fiddly at times (I’ve been using a Surface Pro 6 for work and its nice having proper “Window file management”) but the iPad is nicer to use.

I was all set on an 11” iPad Pro after having the 12.9” Second Gen iPad but then I saw them side by side I realised that despite the increase from 10.5 to 11 the smaller Pro is still too small to be my main mobile productivity device, and actually the bigger one is a nicer size and weight than its older equivalent albeit with the same screen size!!

Not that keen on the Smart Keyboard though, for £200 its shockingly expensive and its a pain having to fold it over or remove it when I want to use the iPad at an angle for writing on so just bought a case from Amazon which covers the rear and front and lets me fold it for writing on or watching TV, etc.

Pre-ordered the Brydge keyboard which will make it more Mac like and picked up a £50 Logitech K380 Bluetooth travel KB for now which is nicer to type on than the Keyboard Case.

Soldato
I use OneDrive on the iPad and its really good, although I tend to access it via a 3rd party file app (File Browser) which I can access all of my Cloud Services (iCloud, OneDrive, GDrive, etc) through along with mapped Local NAS and Sharepoint.

It also lets me create folders and save files locally with no dramas, yes its still a bit fiddly at times (I’ve been using a Surface Pro 6 for work and its nice having proper “Window file management”) but the iPad is nicer to use.

I was all set on an 11” iPad Pro after having the 12.9” Second Gen iPad but then I saw them side by side I realised that despite the increase from 10.5 to 11 the smaller Pro is still too small to be my main mobile productivity device, and actually the bigger one is a nicer size and weight than its older equivalent albeit with the same screen size!!

Not that keen on the Smart Keyboard though, for £200 its shockingly expensive and its a pain having to fold it over or remove it when I want to use the iPad at an angle for writing on so just bought a case from Amazon which covers the rear and front and lets me fold it for writing on or watching TV, etc.

Pre-ordered the Brydge keyboard which will make it more Mac like and picked up a £50 Logitech K380 Bluetooth travel KB for now which is nicer to type on than the Keyboard Case.

Thanks for your insights.
The 3rd party app you are refering to, is that an actual app or are you refering to "Files"?

Is it possible somehow to enable your PC to be access via Files somehow? Like a personal cloud drive?
And what do you use Sharepoint for may I ask?

By the way I checked that K380 keyboard and happened to notice that JL is doing it for £30? Just FYI if you want to save £20... (assuming thats the right one I was looking at!)

What case did you go for from Amazon?

I am still truly in two minds over the iPad size.

On the one hand I want to have a bigger screen, but on the other I am travel on business a fair bit and want something that is not as weighty and as big in my bag.

Soldato
Thanks for your insights.
The 3rd party app you are refering to, is that an actual app or are you refering to "Files"?
It is an app. Take a look at it ASAP because if it wasn’t for that, then I’d have likely returned this temp iPad 2018 I just purchased. It collates all your sharing service in one place and has a slideshow feature which is great for me as it can be used by the oldies to view family albums.

Soldato
Thanks. FileBrowserGo?
And what do you mean can be used by the oldies? How and what way?
Sorry, I rushed out the previous comment as I was on the iPad - still getting used to a somewhat poorer keyboard vs Android Swiftkey. The website is here fyi and the app should be just FileBrowser (blue icon) http://www.stratospherix.com/filebrowser/

By oldies I mean that I tend to store the family photos (RAW & JPG versions) on my network in folders by date. On android only one app could really view these files cleanly with a UI that older folks could easily understand and the app does a splendid job in displaying this content and then giving you the ability to view them and commence a slideshow if required. I have often found it quite difficult to find a gallery app that can view network shares for images and that has a slideshow feature.

So my FileBrowser app is setup to access my PC and it's shared drives, OneDrive and 2x 128GB USB memory sticks plugged into my router containing misc junk. I'm still learning at the moment but it is a very capable app.

Edit: Just noticed that FileBrowserGo is the free/trail version. I never tried this one and just read a review of the main app and purchased it right away.

Soldato
Sorry, I rushed out the previous comment as I was on the iPad - still getting used to a somewhat poorer keyboard vs Android Swiftkey. The website is here fyi and the app should be just FileBrowser (blue icon) http://www.stratospherix.com/filebrowser/
Cheers will check it out. Coming up as £5.99?
There is another version called FileBrowserGo, it seems to be from the same company but free, any ideas what the difference is?

By oldies I mean that I tend to store the family photos (RAW & JPG versions) on my network in folders by date. On android only one app could really view these files cleanly with a UI that older folks could easily understand and the app does a splendid job in displaying this content and then giving you the ability to view them and commence a slideshow if required. I have often found it quite difficult to find a gallery app that can view network shares for images and that has a slideshow feature.

Let me see if I understood, you're folks have android devices and view the photos from the FileBrowser App which accesses your network share?
(This app allows you to connect to local network shares?)
So my FileBrowser app is setup to access my PC and it's shared drives, OneDrive and 2x 128GB USB memory sticks plugged into my router containing misc junk. I'm still learning at the moment but it is a very capable app.
Ah I see! Interesting! Are you able to set it up such that you can access it offsite?
Edit: Just noticed that FileBrowserGo is the free/trail version. I never tried this one and just read a review of the main app and purchased it right away.

Ah you just answered the previous question :) Thanks!

Soldato
Cheers will check it out. Coming up as £5.99?
There is another version called FileBrowserGo, it seems to be from the same company but free, any ideas what the difference is?
£5.99 is a bit pricey as I rarely purchased that many apps on Android but the price is certainly worth it in this case if you want a good tool to access your network shares/file sharing services.

Let me see if I understood, you're folks have android devices and view the photos from the FileBrowser App which accesses your network share?
(This app allows you to connect to local network shares?)
My bad. My folks use an android gallery app (F-Stop) to see the network shares in this house on their phones. I had planned to give them my Pixel C tablet (also android) also using F-Stop but the display died very recently so its going through an RMA with Google. My plan was to give my folks this new 9.7" iPad and teach them how to use the FileBrowser app on it to view those same shares. Watching family photos on a mobile screen is a bit poor I think you'll agree.

I'd then buy a Pro down the road for myself.

Ah I see! Interesting! Are you able to set it up such that you can access it offsite?
Not got that far just yet!

Soldato
£5.99 is a bit pricey as I rarely purchased that many apps on Android but the price is certainly worth it in this case if you want a good tool to access your network shares/file sharing services.

My bad. My folks use an android gallery app (F-Stop) to see the network shares in this house on their phones. I had planned to give them my Pixel C tablet (also android) also using F-Stop but the display died very recently so its going through an RMA with Google. My plan was to give my folks this new 9.7" iPad and teach them how to use the FileBrowser app on it to view those same shares. Watching family photos on a mobile screen is a bit poor I think you'll agree.

I'd then buy a Pro down the road for myself.

Not got that far just yet!

Gotcha :)

Out of interest, couldnt you give them access to a link to the OneDrive and just have them access it from there?

I just tried the FB app, its a bit slow going from picture to picture unless I am missing something?

Also there seems to be a "subscription" service to it? Any idea what this is? Or did you just pay the £5.99 and thats it?

Soldato
Gotcha :)

Out of interest, couldnt you give them access to a link to the OneDrive and just have them access it from there?

I just tried the FB app, its a bit slow going from picture to picture unless I am missing something?

Also there seems to be a "subscription" service to it? Any idea what this is? Or did you just pay the £5.99 and thats it?
There is a lot of family albums so sadly links wouldn't have worked too well. On Android I could simply setup a shortcut on the main homepage that would lead to a nested folder containing folders with years from 2000 onwards and they could drill their way into individual photos that way. They also had the option of using the F-Stop app too if they wished to use slideshows etc.

Regarding the FB app, I think it speeds up when photo viewing as yes it is slow at first, there is some 200ms of lag when swiping through images. Try viewing an album, then going out of it and back in - the photos should instantly appear so maybe its generating a cache in the background? I confess I haven't trundled through the Settings just yet.

I've only paid the fee for the app, which was £5.99. I haven't had any subscription stuff thrown at me just yet. Whereabouts are you seeing this?

Soldato
So the family aspect... is this using F-Stop? I need to check this out....
Is it basically a dumb down version of a photo viewer?

Also regarding the sub service:

https://www.stratospherix.com/products/comparison.php#fbGo

It seems the Go app is sub based? But not sure why you would use that over paying for it out right....
F-Stop is an excellent Gallery app, used across all my android devices and it has cloud service functionality (dropbox/one drive if I recall) and SMB stuffs. The latter is a tad flaky but works well enough for network sharing. It isn't as polished as FB though. Not sure if Android has anything really similar to FileBrowser.

Whilst I think this Subscription lark is a half decent idea, I am not a fan of seeing a billion editions of apps nowadays. It can be very confusing.

Soldato
Or you could just use documents for free :) it’s by readdle superb company that does scannerapp as well which you can scan all documents into pdf and create flow to to save them.to your cloud service.

Can’t recommend their stuff highly enough.

Soldato
Never thought I'd do it. This morning I ordered a 12.9" 64gb 2018 Pro :o Amazon price matched Currys for £934.

Just need to get a blueteeth headphone and pencil at some point. Not a fan of BT audio at all so I've got thr USB C-Headphone jack dingle coming tomorrow too.

I'll pass my new 9.7" ipad to the wife for use and my father can use her 2014 iPad Air for YT videos.

Soldato
iPad Pro arrived with damage visible on the left frame so I'm having a chat with Amazon now. Not too impressed, especially as I need it for this weekend.

Edit: Got to wait 2 days tops for a response from the management team. Great :(

Last edited:
Associate
iPad Pro arrived with damage visible on the left frame so I'm having a chat with Amazon now. Not too impressed, especially as I need it for this weekend.

Edit: Got to wait 2 days tops for a response from the management team. Great :(

not got a John Lewis nearby as they offer a 3 year warranty with theirs and just send the amazon one back..

Back
Top Bottom