Are you going to buy an iPad Pro?

• Yes

Votes: 146 33.1%
  • No

Votes: 295 66.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
I've just ordered the Kanex 6 In 1 Multiport USB-C Hub

oh top tip.....I just watched a youtube video where someone recommended moving all the icon apps to the dock (using folders if you have to). Have to say, it's a brilliant idea as traditional computers don't have all the icons on the desktop.

Last edited:
Soldato
Couple of issues I found lastnight whilst trying to use the ipad as a laptop replacement

Onedrive does not have the ability to copy files lol (you can use the files app though)
Word, Excel..can't open more than one file at a time lol

You can as a workaround, open a word document in onedrive itself (read only), and then a second in word (split-screen)...however copying text from one to the other losses formatting

(amazing how bad Microsoft have become isn't it)

Soldato
Isn’t that more of an iPad OS issue/limitation?

Your complaint is that you can’t open more than once instance of word at the same time and have them side by side?

This is why most of the people in here say the iPad is not a laptop replacement. It just isn’t if you need to get work done.

Soldato
Isn’t that more of an iPad OS issue/limitation?

Your complaint is that you can’t open more than once instance of word at the same time and have them side by side?

This is why most of the people in here say the iPad is not a laptop replacement. It just isn’t if you need to get work done.

No, iPadOS can support it, and I believe they even originally showed it off at a developer event. Pages can do it, and it was supposed to be coming to Office apps but Microsoft seem to be holding off

Associate
Anyone know... I’ve got a Logitech Hero G305 mouse, which isn’t Bluetooth, can I plug the receiver into a USB dongle and have the iPad pick it up? Want to avoid buying a Bluetooth mouse if possible!

Soldato
That makes sense, you used to be not able but you can now.

What I mean is, it seems that iPadOS has the ability to be able to show two word documents at once, so long as Microsoft enable it. Reading online, Apple actually showed it off at one point, but it never actually got rolled out to the public. Maybe it was buggy.

If you use the pages app over word, you can do it....but all my documents are in onedrive (and I also use onedrive for business for work) so I'd prefer just to use Word.

There's a huge thread about it on one of the Microsoft sites, but considering the thread was started months ago with zero communication from Microsoft, I won't hold my breath.

Soldato
I have the ipad pro 2020 with Apple's standard black case which cost £99 and I think for the money that case is more than double overpriced for the quality. I've been thinking about one of these magic keyboards and using it as a docking station and then swapping out to the case when i'm moving around. Do you think it's worth justifying the £350 price tag?

It has really transformed the way I use mine. The iPad stays put and doesn’t flop down like it can with the folio case. I’m keeping the folio case though as the keyboard can’t be folded behind the screen when you don’t need it and I’m sure I won’t want to take the keyboard everywhere I go either.

I do wish that control centre had a brightness control for the keyboard baked in though.

Man of Honour
Yeah I have to say, the new Magic Keyboard has massively improved my experience with the iPad Pro. I’ve had the first keyboard with it since day one, which has been decent enough, but the keyboard isn’t great and it’s not very sturdy.

The weight of this one is perfect, completely solid the keyboard is just a joy to type on. I was blown away at how well the trackpad works with iPadOS as well, assumed it would just be a few apps or the home screen that allowed it but I rarely touch the screen since getting it.

Expensive but 100% worth it for me

Man of Honour
I'm so hoping the rumours of Xcode coming to iPadOS is true, that would be epic. I've got a few code editors a couple of online IDE solutions for coding but Xcode would be fantastic for developing my apps on the go

Associate
Yeah I’d like that too, something I’ve a longer term aim of using. I’ve just downloaded Pythonista as I’m starting to learn Python.

Soldato
My magic keyboard arrived today, wow....it’s brilliant

In fact, I think it’s better than using the mrs 2019 MacBook Air. The keys are better, but I just love the fact I now have the arrow keys. Small things make a massive difference.

The trackpads great, gestures always work, and even the cursor on screen is great.

I’m impressed.

Soldato
It’s great right? I signed up to AppleCare as well since the keyboards are covered as well as the tablet.

It's not often I'm impressed, in fact, usually I'm a bit disappointed.....but I was blown away to be honest. It's a flat tablet keyboard which feels just like using a proper laptop keyboard. I just can't fault it.
The gestures are actually a joy to use and the mouse cursor changing into the icons is really clever. I watched the youtube videos and various reviews, but it really is something you need to use for youself to realise just how good it is.

It's hands down better than the surface keyboards, yes it's expensive (mines the 12.9" version) but considering my ipad and keyboard costs the same as the macbook air, and I much prefer the ipad, I'm happy to pay it.

The fact Microsoft are finally bringing split screen to office, well that's just icing on the cake.....although they need to sort out the remote desktop app. The only mouse which works on it is the citrix x1 (it's literally a £5 horrible plastic mouse which sells for £100). Unfortunately the magic trackpad just mimics your finger which isn't great.

Back
Top Bottom