• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Apple M1 CPU

Soldato
Absolutely ... But the point remains, what's so wrong with the air ... The tapering of the lid is going to restrict the ability to push the display to the edge further without it affecting the tapering.

That's apple's problem to figure out :p it's why they earn the big bucks.

The design has been static for a while and looks dated as a result. The XPS shows what can be done, and frankly if Dell can pull off something like that I'm sure apple can do loads better.

Associate
That's apple's problem to figure out :p it's why they earn the big bucks.

The design has been static for a while and looks dated as a result. The XPS shows what can be done, and frankly if Dell can pull off something like that I'm sure apple can do loads better.

Apple will do it in a couple years.

They are still waiting to make a cheap macbook, which means the current bezels will probably be what the circa $700 Macbook will have. Then as they improve touchscreen support overtime as they merge Arm and X86 platforms (ipad OS) they will make a touch screen friendly MacBook with razor thin bezels. Macbook He (lighter than air), Macbook Air, Macbook pro

Soldato
Apple will do it in a couple years.

They are still waiting to make a cheap macbook, which means the current bezels will probably be what the circa $700 Macbook will have. Then as they improve touchscreen support overtime as they merge Arm and X86 platforms (ipad OS) they will make a touch screen friendly MacBook with razor thin bezels. Macbook He (lighter than air), Macbook Air, Macbook pro

Not related to the M1, but I don't think touchscreen is ever going to happen on macs anytime soon. Even for iOS apps on Mac, they've developed an entire system called "Touch Alternatives" for simulating touch input using mouse and trackpad. It seems like they've made up their minds.

I agree regarding the cheaper "Macbook SE" type thing. Once they redesign the Macbook line, they release something like the current Air with M2/M3, for around £700. Like the £400 iPhone SE is faster than any phone in its price range (or even faster than any non-Apple phone period), this Macbook will obliterate any £700 laptop, and likely much more expensive ones too.

Associate
Not related to the M1, but I don't think touchscreen is ever going to happen on macs anytime soon. Even for iOS apps on Mac, they've developed an entire system called "Touch Alternatives" for simulating touch input using mouse and trackpad. It seems like they've made up their minds.

I agree regarding the cheaper "Macbook SE" type thing. Once they redesign the Macbook line, they release something like the current Air with M2/M3, for around £700. Like the £400 iPhone SE is faster than any phone in its price range (or even faster than any non-Apple phone period), this Macbook will obliterate any £700 laptop, and likely much more expensive ones too.

Maybe no touch screens. However, Apple's general thing is to introduce features that people NEED and then cut them from the low price version. That way they insure their regular customers keep buying the expensive product and the newer markets (younger people, Developing Countries) swap their Toshiba's, Xiaomis, etc for the MAC.

I only say touch because it makes sense with the iPad moving closer and closer to the macbook like thanks to Apple Silicon most likely replacing the existing chips they use (x86 emulation and all). I don't know what features they could lock behind a pay wall despite a prettier design. Touchscreen seems like an easy low cost solution for Apple considering their eco system.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

It depends, I always assumed that their final end goal with the ipad pro was for it to replace the cheaper macbooks as they can pretty much already do the same things, especially with Big Sur making it even closer in terms of OS. They may have changed their minds now though, but I feel its still definitely a possibility

Soldato
Maybe no touch screens. However, Apple's general thing is to introduce features that people NEED and then cut them from the low price version. That way they insure their regular customers keep buying the expensive product and the newer markets (younger people, Developing Countries) swap their Toshiba's, Xiaomis, etc for the MAC.

I only say touch because it makes sense with the iPad moving closer and closer to the macbook like thanks to Apple Silicon most likely replacing the existing chips they use (x86 emulation and all). I don't know what features they could lock behind a pay wall despite a prettier design. Touchscreen seems like an easy low cost solution for Apple considering their eco system.

They've just been very public at how they don't see touch screen on mac computers as a viable input option, and a 180-degree turn is very likely in my opinion. They've also been very vocal that they don't see value in convertibles, and I don't think they're technically wrong, touchscreens haven't changed the way we use laptops and convertibles haven't been particularly successful in the market, but as you say touchscreen is very low cost, and there are no downsides.

Apple is a company of patterns. What we've seen in cheaper iPhones and iPads is very likely to follow in macs. Old industrial design, old internals (display, camera, etc), sometimes with the fastest chips. This helps their bottom line a lot as well for these cheaper products, helping them maintain their margins.

It depends, I always assumed that their final end goal with the ipad pro was for it to replace the cheaper macbooks as they can pretty much already do the same things, especially with Big Sur making it even closer in terms of OS. They may have changed their minds now though, but I feel its still definitely a possibility

Not sure how adding touchscreens to macbooks is going to help iPads replace cheaper macs. But that's speculation anyway, we'll see in the next 18-36 months. If I had to bet, I'd bet that we won't see a touchsreen macs within that timeframe.

Associate
They've just been very public at how they don't see touch screen on mac computers as a viable input option, and a 180-degree turn is very likely in my opinion.

They were pretty public on different size screens for iPhone and look what happened.

When it's convenient and profitable for them, they'll adopt the feature and then everyone can praise them for their amazing foresight again.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

They've just been very public at how they don't see touch screen on mac computers as a viable input option, and a 180-degree turn is very likely in my opinion. They've also been very vocal that they don't see value in convertibles, and I don't think they're technically wrong, touchscreens haven't changed the way we use laptops and convertibles haven't been particularly successful in the market, but as you say touchscreen is very low cost, and there are no downsides.

Apple is a company of patterns. What we've seen in cheaper iPhones and iPads is very likely to follow in macs. Old industrial design, old internals (display, camera, etc), sometimes with the fastest chips. This helps their bottom line a lot as well for these cheaper products, helping them maintain their margins.

Not sure how adding touchscreens to macbooks is going to help iPads replace cheaper macs. But that's speculation anyway, we'll see in the next 18-36 months. If I had to bet, I'd bet that we won't see a touchsreen macs within that timeframe.

They both do almost the exact same thing, the only major difference is the keyboard (which now you have the option with the magic keyboard) and the touchscreen.

Soldato
And pretty much in line with any company who responds to a new product question with

‘We have no plans for x’

Then some time later they release X.

Soldato
They were pretty public on different size screens for iPhone and look what happened.

When it's convenient and profitable for them, they'll adopt the feature and then everyone can praise them for their amazing foresight again.

That happened to smartphones because there was customer demand, and therefore profits to be made. Sure, Apple, like all companies, responds to customer demands and chases profits. But are there any profits to seek in touchscreen computers? The question is, will touchscreen laptops become so dominating in the market in the same way that larger smartphones did?

So far that hasn't happened at all. Nobody has turned huge profits from making touchscreen laptops. We've had capacitive touchscreens on laptops for nearly a decade and they haven't changed the way people use laptops, they haven't created a huge rush in the market for customers to buy touchscreen laptops. When laptops have them, it's added as "why not?" feature or a paid screen upgrade rather than being a core feature of the laptop.

Can't see how the analogy of larger phones holds for touchscreen laptops.

Microsoft tried to get this trend to work in 2012 when PC/laptop sales were declining. There have been Microsoft products that created hype and excitement (e.g. Surface Book and Surface Studio). People predicted that touchscreens will revolutionise the laptop/desktop market and everyone will have them. Years and years on, none of that happened, and those products remained on the fringes.

And pretty much in line with any company who responds to a new product question with

‘We have no plans for x’

Then some time later they release X.

Yeah, after X becomes a huge thing in the market that everyone demands. Like big phones or music and movies subscription (Apple was against them so bad, Steve Jobs famously bashed the idea several times, but Apple later adapted after they saw success of Spotify and Netflix). There are a lot of examples for X, so far, touchscreen computers are not among them.

Associate
Touch Screen laptops are 'nearly' everywhere. 2 in 1's are so common in the windows scene and windows 10 literally has touch screen ease built into it's new navigational windows.

You may not notice because you haven't used a touchscreen laptop. It doesn't transform the experience, but you do start just touching certain things instead of mousing/tracking over because it's simply faster.

Apple seem to be going in that direction. You don't make BigSur just so iPad's can make the soft transition. It's also so the full on devices can use touch in a more intuitive way.

With IOS apps being natively supported as well, it would be massively dumb for Apple to not make a touch screen macbook at some point. All the ipad os apps that will 'just work' once touch screen comes over is insane.​

Associate
That happened to smartphones because there was customer demand, and therefore profits to be made. Sure, Apple, like all companies, responds to customer demands and chases profits. But are there any profits to seek in touchscreen computers? The question is, will touchscreen laptops become so dominating in the market in the same way that larger smartphones did?

You never know, touch screen might even become more successful than the Touch bar one day.

Associate
You never know, touch screen might even become more successful than the Touch bar one day.
HAHAHA exactly.

Which customers wanted a touch bar... no one, and the support was hard to do, unlike touchscreens which are now everywhere. I am picturing some dumb new tech they will add and this will be how they announce it.

"X years ago in 2007, we introduced the first mobile capacitive multi-touch screen. It was truly revolutionary, enabling users to interact with their devices seamlessly in a way they could only have dreamed of. Today, we are 1 upping ourselves. Merging multiple technologies together, we are introducing the worlds first touchless touch display. Not only can you use it like a traditional touch screen, the device is also able to use iris scanning technology and far field capacitive technology to know where you want to touch... before you even reach the screen.

*Queue steve jobs ghost to come out on stage and demo an iMessage coming through, you see him glance at it with his eyes then he just raises his hand and the iMessage goes into a respondable window before his hand even reaches the screen*

"This is truly revolutionary and will once again transform the world of interface devices. Touchless touch"

^^This is some Apple level ****^^

Associate
I think people also underestimate how amazing it is to work with a very fast laptop that not only doesn’t have fans turn on up, but is also cool on your legs when working from your lap.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I think people also underestimate how amazing it is to work with a very fast laptop that not only doesn’t have fans turn on up, but is also cool on your legs when working from your lap.

Plenty of Ryzen laptops that do exactly that, not sure why that doesnt get anywhere near the coverage though?

Back
Top Bottom