Apple Pay Launch - How will it be activated?

Associate

fez

fez

Caporegime
This is just embarrassing from Barclays. All the other banks got their arses into gear pretty much for the launch. They can't have had that long to work on it from the time apple gave them concrete implementation information yet most of the big banks got it sorted for launch. Barclays has has loads of time, will have known how this works the same amount of time as other banks and based on their status as one of the largest personal banking institutions in the country they should have put this to bed months ago.

If they don't get this right I will just change banks.

Associate
It's probably not a technical reason why it's taking them so long. More likely its contractual negotiations with Apple. We don't know how long the other banks were in talks with Apple before it launched over here. I'm just glad that my current account is with Santander. My credit card is with Barclays though (formerly Egg)

Soldato
I'm in the same boat. My current credit card is such a good deal but I'm willing to give it up for the convenience of Apple Pay.

I don't think that this has ever been a technological challenge for Barclays. The delay has been caused by business politics. Barclays want people to use their own technology rather than Apple and Google's.

Associate
I don't think that this has ever been a technological challenge for Barclays. The delay has been caused by business politics. Barclays want people to use their own technology rather than Apple and Google's.

Exactly. It sounds kind of like what Tim Cook said when Apple Pay was first introduced, about people who try to launch the digital wallet set about creating a business model instead of focusing on the user experience. bPay might be a good user experience (I haven't tried it so can't comment) but it seems that their main goal was selling bPay devices. In comparison, Apple Pay isn't a source of of revenue.

Soldato
They don't have to be contactless no, I managed to add my debit card and my Visa Barclaycard, they don't currently accept the cashback card yet but the site says they are working on getting the Visa part of the cashback card working soon.

Back
Top Bottom