Aqua Computer Aquaero Owners thread

Associate
mine ticked like a mofo. tried opening it up to see if i could fix it but nothing obvious so sent it back for the koolance which was perfect.. until it wasn't! I'm not massively bothered about accuracy just want a bit of redundancy in cast the pump fails so can get the A5 to shut the system down. BTW you don't NEED to get the aquaero power connect just the 3 pin plug. you can just splice the cables going to the SW+ and - on the mobo to the connector on the controller.

Associate
I'm running 2 D5's with aquabus interfaces and 2 aquaeros (5LT, and a 6) runs like a charm.
Although I do find myself setting everything back up when I flash the firmware.
I don't like running anything above 50% really, maybe once I've redone my loops I'll be happier running it higher.
Basically 100% popped one of my acrylic links apart, but once I switch to solid acrylic rather than with joins on some of the corners I should be much happier to run it higher.

Associate
Any D5 pump will work with the aquaero, however best results are gained (imho) with the aqua computer d5 with aquabus, usb and tacho

Thanks, not done any water cooling before and already purchased
EK Water Blocks EK-D5 Vario X-RES 100 (incl. pump).

Also got 4 noise blocker eloop pwm fans and don't have and pwm headers on the mother board, which I was thinking about getting the Aquaero 6 XT.

But is all getting a bit confusing for my tiny brain :o

Soldato
Yes, the 6 has the power to run the pump on a 3 pin header. If it has a separate molex you could rewire it and run it off the Aquaero to both read and control the speed - assuming it isn't only controllable by manual control - sorry, more familiar with DDCs.

The 6 also has 4 fan headers supporting PWM as well as voltage control where the 5 only has 1. There appear to be issues running multiple fans off one PWM header. This seems to be worse the more fans on the channel and may only affect some manufacturers implementation of PWM. Again, sorry, no PWM fans to test with.

Last edited:
Associate
No real reason to control the D5, pump speed has very little effect on temperature (obviously there is a limit to how slow you can get away with) so just set the vario to as fast as you can before it makes too much noise. Mine is around the 3 mark before it starts to whine. Then monitor the rpm with the yellow cable and forget.

Associate
High Speed USB flow sensor all installed and can't hear it tick at all. I put it in the pedestal in front of the pump inlet and it's perfectly level. Very pleased.

Soldato
Hi there,

I am currently setting up my Aquaero 6 XT with the Aquasuite 2015 - 4 and AIDA64 Extreme.

I am wondering what is the best way to do the fan speed curves in the software.

Do most people do it by water temperature or CPU/GPU Core temperatures?

Soldato
I will try that, with the fans running my loops have been 25/26c so I guess it will be running passive until things heat up a bit.

Edit:

Man this is so good :D

Set point both loops to 30c water temp and fans start at 30% speed, my PC is now very quiet indeed :D

Last edited:
Associate
No real reason to control the D5, pump speed has very little effect on temperature (obviously there is a limit to how slow you can get away with) so just set the vario to as fast as you can before it makes too much noise. Mine is around the 3 mark before it starts to whine. Then monitor the rpm with the yellow cable and forget.

Is there a difference between pump speed and rpm or are they the same? Had thought they were the same thing.

Have read about two schools of thought, 1) leave pump speed constant and 2) make pump speed a variably controlled element.

Am new to this so apologies if I've misunderstood! :)

Associate
Faster pump means more water passing through the blocks / radiator but slower water spends more time heating in the blocks and dissipating in the radiator. Not much difference between the two in terms of cooling. Faster fans makes a difference.

Associate
Hi all, am trying to set up an Aquaero 6 Pro. Have read the manual, look at various websites, can’t seem to find the answers I’m looking for.

Here is the setup I want the A6Pro to control. It’s all installed and connected. All fans are PWM:

FAN 1: 1x 360 radiator using 5x 120mm fans (2 in push/pull, 1 push)
FAN 2: 1x 240 radiator using 4x 120mm fans (push pull)
FAN 3: 1x 240 radiator using 2x 120mm fans push
FAN 4: 1x 120mm rear fan (case exhaust fans)

On channel FAN 1, I have the fans connected to an Akasa Flexa 5-way PWM splitter cable (similar to this but with black cable flex https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-031-AK&groupid=1929&catid=153 ) . Therefore the main fan header is connected to the A6, the fans are connected to the individual fan connectors on the cable, and the molex part of the cable is plugged into the PSU molex cable. The fans will run when the system is turned on, but will run at full RPM, and whilst the A6 and Aquasuite can see the fan RPMs for those fans on FAN 1, I cannot control the fans speeds. The ‘use PWM’ is ticked in Aquasuite. I had intended that for these 5 fans on FAN 1, the A6 would only control the speed signal, not also power the fans.

The fan sets for the two radiators are connected respectively to Fan channels FAN 2 and FAN 3, are connected to the A6 using a series of y-splitters, but no molex power connection to the PSU. The fans do not rotate on power up.

The rear fan on channel FAN 4 is a direct PWM cable connection to the A6 – no y-splitters, no molex power connection. This fan does not rotate on power up.

Am not sure what I’m doing wrong, or why the A6 cannot control the fans speeds, or why the fans on FAN 2-4 do not rotate.

Can anyone assist in troubleshooting this? Am sure I’m being a bit of a noob but as far as I could tell this is all hooked up correctly.

Much appreciated! :)

Associate
You dont need an extra molex for the aquareo 6, each channel is capable of at least 30w power, which is more than enough for as much as 10 fans per channel.

And if I remember correctly from when I installed mine, the fan channels do not have any controllers assigned by default. So you need to configure each channel and set a controller for them, you can do this from the aquaero unit itself. Edit the first controller (i think it is 32 in total) a use the type "set value", put it at 100% and assign it to each fan channel, this should make your fans run at 100%. After that you can install the software and make better fan profiles.

Associate
Also, you only want to be taking the RPM signal from one fan and not them all else the reading will jump about all over the place. I use modmytoys pwm pcb's for my fans and bend/snap off the RPM pin on all but one. Not sure how you would do that with the Akasa cables without snipping. From the fan section you can set the min and max to test you have control before moving onto setting up controllers by temp etc.

Soldato
I've also heard that with some manufacturer's implementation of PWM, when you stack them up on a channel, you get less and less controllability until they just run at 100%. It may be that a firmware update will fix this (installs by default when you install Aquasuite) but otherwise, I think the solution is a PWM amp but I don't think they're that easily available. Sorry to be a bit vague but I don't run any PWM fans. I think the PWM issues and amp were discussed on one of the build threads if that's any help and I think I may have linked to it earlier in this thread but someone else may know the details.

Edit: Link found: Page 4 of vsg28's TX10-D build log.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom