Archery

Soldato
Hey guys, anyone on OCUK an archer, experienced or recreational?

It's always something I've wanted to get into as a casual thing (aka shooting targets near the house or something, nothing competitive. Just want to build up a good instinctual aim)

And what's your bow preference? :D

Personally, I'm thinking I'd like a recurve, and perhaps an English longbow.. Compound just seems to take away the 'fun' of it really, with those training wheels and all. :p

Associate
Just started shooting again after 28yrs break. My son has been doing archery since last October & is loving it. Just got him a new recurve bow.
I'm using a compound bow as it's easier on my arm. MS related problems in my right arm means I'd struggle with the repeated draw & hold of a recurve. Forgot how relaxing it was to shoot.

hux

hux

Soldato
Had a stint a while ago, not sure now but back then hoyt and yamaha were the bows of choice. Look to spend a few hundred on a decent starter kit id imagine.

Also id look at a recurve bow, many clubs don't like compound bows as it damages the targets much quicker.

Also expect an elitist attitude, a friend who was a national champion eventually quit as it got on his nerves in the end.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been shooting target recurve for the last 4 years.

Tried trad and compound before settling on recurve. Longbow was bloody hard work and not at all like I was expecting. Compound felt like I was cheating. Recurve struck the best balance and I'm glad I stuck with it.

One problem I found initially was the stuffiness you encounter at some clubs..old farts not wanting any newcomers. Get in the right club though and it's awesome fun :D

Soldato
Also id look at a recurve bow, many clubs don't like compound bows as it damages the targets much quicker.

No decent club will turn away compound shooters. They don't damage targets any quicker than recurve. Crossbows on the other hand aren't allowed often at all.

Soldato
That's about the strength of it. As already mentioned above there can be a lot of elitism at certain clubs. I found the best way to get to know people was start shooting at my local branch of Quicks first to get to know people. Once I'd decided who were the decent shooters I joined the same club.

Caporegime
I went to a few 'Have a Go' days and just got a feeling at the club and then turned up as a spectator on one of their competition days before I made my decision. I dont regret my choice, but it is a surprise how competitive even the more chilled out club is, I wasnt after shooting with the best clubs until Ive got a far more matured technique, otherwise is just more pressure...

Definitely a lot of snobbery in the sport - I dont understand why - must be the target demographic the sport attracts, would compare it to golf in that respect...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
Did a club course in Jan/Feb this year, been using club recurve while I save enough to get my own gear. Meeting the club Bowyer this week to talk about making a longbow for me.

Was Always intending to go Longbow when I joined but wanted to get a good recurve setup first, purley for the common competition aspect of it against the majority of the club who are recurve. But with money being tight at the minute I've had to make the decision to leave recurve for the minute and get a Longbow first..

There is defianatly sometimes an air of one up manship from some people in clubs, But I've got to say the club i'm at Rochdale Company of Archers is very very friendly and caters for new members well from most people who are there.

I love the almost Zen like feeling you get when you shoot, I've been away for 2 months due to work and money issues, but have gone back the last few weeks and fitted right back in without any problems.

Highly recommend it if your even a little interested. Beware though it can be more exspensive that you may initialy think it will be..

Last edited:
Associate
The club i'm looking at joining with my son are great. Very relaxed & the usually friendly banter between the recurve, compound & flat/horse bows.
Using the club compound bow till i can get one of my own.

It is Zen like in the way you have to focus and settle your self between shots.

Caporegime
Just had a nice session today - shooting 24lb limbs, probably pulling more nearer 26-28lb due to draw - only 40yards still but felt right today. Lovely day today, albeit a bit too hot :p. Cant wait until I can pull more, so distance is more easily reached. My first session in a month though!

Soldato
Just had a nice session today - shooting 24lb limbs, probably pulling more nearer 26-28lb due to draw - only 40yards still but felt right today. Lovely day today, albeit a bit too hot :p. Cant wait until I can pull more, so distance is more easily reached. My first session in a month though!

Good job :D

Don't rush into more poundage until you're sure you are ready for it. Any poor technique tends to get magnified the further out you go. I'm shooting 40lbs and still struggle at 60 yards :D

Also consider getting a clicker if you haven't already got one. It really helps when the distances increase and is a cheap addition.

Caporegime
Waiting until my draw is as long as its gonna get before I get a clicker - my arrows arent cut as I know once I get used to the technique Ill probably be able to stretch more. Only have about an inch over at the moment.

Any tips on technique are gratefully recieved - nice to hear how others do it as it is sometimes a lot to remember - will post up my 'routine' later...

Quick question - any relevant gym exercises you could do to help your draw or bow arm? I get tired easily which obviously impacts accuracy (say after a 6x6)...

Soldato
Waiting until my draw is as long as its gonna get before I get a clicker - my arrows arent cut as I know once I get used to the technique Ill probably be able to stretch more. Only have about an inch over at the moment.

Any tips on technique are gratefully recieved - nice to hear how others do it as it is sometimes a lot to remember - will post up my 'routine' later...

Quick question - any relevant gym exercises you could do to help your draw or bow arm? I get tired easily which obviously impacts accuracy (say after a 6x6)...

Exercises..hmm. There isn't anything you can really do at the gym that will help. Good technique will mean the rhomboid muscles in your back behind your draw arm should ache, not your bicep / forearm. I used to use 2 black Clini-Bands and hook them around the elbow of my draw arm whilst holding the other end with the other hand. Draw slowly and hold using only your elbow to pull the bands back. Hold at full draw for 30 secs then release slowly.

Done properly this will engage the correct muscles. In order to reach your draw length potential you really need to use the right muscles to begin with, otherwise you'll hit a wall as your bicep contracts fully leaving you nothing left to pull through a clicker with.

A Formaster will do a good job too. The problem with a lot of archery training tools is they don't isolate the bicep from the back. The Formaster does.

I've waffled a bit there, sorry :D

Associate

That's why I'm going down the compound route. Lot easier for repeated draw and hold. The release gizmo helps things as well, different to get used to.
I'm actually using the archery as a way of helping my back which should help my hips. Physio was all for archery & it helps with the stress(except when you miss).

Associate
Nice posts, making for a good read.. :)

I bought a set of the elastic tubes to use as a fake draw. getting into a routine of using them is a different matter though ..

I've had a few shots of guys bows at the club which are 50lb on a recurve with my long draw just short of 32 i was pulling aprox 56lb I'm a big lad but found it so hard to hold and aim just because of the fact that my back muscels arn't used to or developed enough to do that kind of poundage..

It's a nice slow gradual process, get your technique right then slowly up the poundage over time as it naturaly happens is the advice ive been given..

Being patient is the hard bit :)

Associate
Lately got the key to my club after being there the required number of months so in means i can get in and practise any time I like now 24/7 :)

Still using a clubs recurve at the minute but managed to get a pesonal best of 510 on a Portsmouth this morning, shot another straight after and got a respectable 502. Not to bad for a club bow from what i've been told.

Also ordered a Longbow off the club Bowyer, just got to wait another few weeks while he gets it made for me. Decided to go the Longbow route as it's the reason I took up Archery in the first place. Sure if some good quality recurve gear comes up 2nd hand then i'll go for that as well once i get some more cash free.Lot more competition in the club on recurve, Longbow has a lot of people but it's mainly thier 2nd or fun shoot bow not thier main one.

Realy looking forward to getting some practise in with the Longbow and then next summer i'll have all the outdoor season to shoot competions, target and clout are on my list so far..

Back
Top Bottom